Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:28 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
What do you think the US Interstate Highway system is? It's a replica.
Yup.

Agreed on foreign rail, that is something to be admired vs. what we have. I would certainly not be against high speeds in certain areas (especially straight stretches out west and through the plains).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 04:25 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The Pennsylvania Turnpike opened in 1940 and had no posted speed limit during it's early years.
How fast did cars go back then....like 40?

Old 03-14-2014, 12:23 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I think he means the no speed limit thing.
Thanks. Somebody got it.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:28 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
I think one of the key reasons that mass transit is so successful in European countries, primarily Germany, is due to the high fuel costs in that area. Driving isn't as common or practical there as it is in the United States, where gas is cheap and cars are cheap. Mass transit makes sense financially.

If gasoline prices rose enough here I think that Americans would finally take a harder stance on seriously improving mass transit in this country. Already, in the 2010's we are seeing an increase in mass transit and cycling in urban areas.

Also, to a few posters, when I ask why we don't have an autobahn, I realize we have the interstate system, which truly is a world marvel. It connects the country like nothing else, an envy of the world really. However, I'm more or less getting at the speed thing. Also, from what I have read the condition of the surfaces on the autobahn are FAR greater than the condition of the surfaces on American interstates, which can be pretty rocky in some areas.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:23 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I think one of the key reasons that mass transit is so successful in European countries, primarily Germany, is due to the high fuel costs in that area. Driving isn't as common or practical there as it is in the United States, where gas is cheap and cars are cheap. Mass transit makes sense financially.

If gasoline prices rose enough here I think that Americans would finally take a harder stance on seriously improving mass transit in this country. Already, in the 2010's we are seeing an increase in mass transit and cycling in urban areas.

Also, to a few posters, when I ask why we don't have an autobahn, I realize we have the interstate system, which truly is a world marvel. It connects the country like nothing else, an envy of the world really. However, I'm more or less getting at the speed thing. Also, from what I have read the condition of the surfaces on the autobahn are FAR greater than the condition of the surfaces on American interstates, which can be pretty rocky in some areas.
Culturally, Germans follow laws and customs far more than Americans. Americans are more likely to be reckless. It's common knowledge that limit is rarely followed, but it gives law enforcement a solid reason to stop dangerous speeding.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Straight forward question. Do you think having an autobahn in the United States would work or be a good idea?
Our Interstates are just as good as the German Autobahns. In many cases they are better; much of the Autobahn sysytem was bulit in Hitler's time. The Germans just drive faster. In Gemany you get used to being passed poking along at 100 MPH on the Autobahn and can't help thinking that there would be helicopters chasing you, Fox News covering you, and road blocks set up to shoot you full of holes at the first opportunity in the US.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:32 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
John Dillinger wrote Henry Ford a letter thanking him for the Ford V-8 which would go 85 MPH right off the dealer's lot.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:25 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
Quote:
Thanks. Somebody got it.
But the German Autobahn generally does have a speed limit.

And there is no part of the Autobahn where you can just drive at any speed. The "no speed limit" parts are only in certain rural stretches, yet they still enforce safe driving VERY much on these parts. If you are driving recklessly, they will pull you over.

All they are saying for the "no speed limit" parts is that there is no SET speed limit, but you are required to drive in a safe manner and with existing traffic. It isn't a license to drive like a madman.

If you are speeding and weaving through traffic, they will not only stop you (they have police helicopters and Porsches) they will take your car on the spot.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:31 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Montana and Nevada has reasonable and prudent speed limits until 1974 (100mph+ speeds were common). Montana re-instated it in the 1990s, but the revenue-generators cried about it and a 75mph limit was put in place.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:49 AM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Straight forward question. Do you think having an autobahn in the United States would work or be a good idea?
Great - if you like perpetual construction zones, speed limits, traffic jams, trucks in the left lane, speed traps, ... What did I forget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.