U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:50 AM

6,165 posts, read 12,371,967 times

Advertisements

In a discussion regarding the possible choices for a visiting foreign excahnge student to live in here in the US, someone said "Do you tend to be more liberal or conservative? Most of the cities you have chosen tend to be on the conservative side."

I'm curious about that. How does it matter, in ones everyday life? What is meant by a conservative city, or a liberal city, and how is the average person affected by that classification, if & when it's correct, in their routine daily life?

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 12-05-2007 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Damned typo in my heading that I can't edit!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 11:36 AM

15,400 posts, read 27,708,100 times
LOL--I don't really think it makes that much difference, to tell you the truth--although I suppose it's easier to make conversation with total strangers in a bar if you know whether to say things that sound "conservative" or "liberal."

On the one hand, you can argue that it's easier to find new friends if more people share your ideas. On the other hand, I've often found it easier to make friends in a place where I feel very much in the minority--people tend to find each other and develop permanent friendships when they feel they're part of a minority group.

I guess the big question is: Does it bother you if other people around you have different opinions from yours?

If you think everyone has to be a clone of you, then it's important to find a city where everyone thinks like you. And I feel sad for people like this. Life is so much richer when you can appreciate diversity.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:36 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,738,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
In a discussion regarding the possible choices for a visiting foreign excahnge student to live in here in the US, someone said "Do you tend to be more liberal or conservative? Most of the cities you have chosen tend to be on the conservative side."

I'm curious about that. How does it matter, in ones everyday life? What is meant by a conservative city, or a liberal city, and how is the average person affected by that classification, if & when it's correct, in their routine daily life?
How does it matter? In my life, it doesn't. I put very little to virtually no thought into those terms unless I'm talking politics.

There wasn't all of this red and blue crap just 20 years ago, cities were cities. People nowadays are so quick to label cities as being liberal or conservative. From my understanding, this is based on the type of politics that runs the city no matter how small the margin. So theoretically, a city that has 50.0001 percent of its residents voting Democrat in a presidential election is "liberal" and vice versa. Doesn't make that much sense seeing as how the difference is usually between 1 and 5 percentage points and that no place is going to lean 100% in either direction.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:54 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,039,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
How does it matter? In my life, it doesn't. I put very little to virtually no thought into those terms unless I'm talking politics.

There wasn't all of this red and blue crap just 20 years ago, cities were cities. People nowadays are so quick to label cities as being liberal or conservative. From my understanding, this is based on the type of politics that runs the city no matter how small the margin. So theoretically, a city that has 50.0001 percent of its residents voting Democrat in a presidential election is "liberal" and vice versa. Doesn't make that much sense seeing as how the difference is usually between 1 and 5 percentage points and that no place is going to lean 100% in either direction.
Well said. I mean, Little Five Points here in Atlanta (red state GA) and East Dallas (red state TX) are probably a lot more liberal than Orange County (blue state CA). It's all about the neighborhood/community and what vibe you're looking for.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:04 PM

6,165 posts, read 12,371,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Well said. I mean, Little Five Points here in Atlanta (red state GA) and East Dallas (red state TX) are probably a lot more liberal than Orange County (blue state CA). It's all about the neighborhood/community and what vibe you're looking for.
That's what I'm trying to understand. Tell us about the VIBE. What vibe does a "liberal" city have that somehow makes it different from a similar sized "conservative" city?

Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,789,731 times
Most people prefer to live among like-minded people.

Conservative as in more traditional - more conventional (as in how you be in a corporate environment) IMHO -- people who don't like to stray from the status quo.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:24 PM

392 posts, read 1,797,532 times
I had one German that wanted a more liberal environment since he felt that was more comfortable for him. He had long hair, was a heavy metal drummer, and not religious. I think he felt (correct or not) that he would be more accepted in a more open area. He also did not want to live with a family that found his appearance, music, etc. troubling.
Exchange students already have a huge amount of adjustment to make. I can understand why even something as broad as a liberal or conservative area might make the exchange, at least on the surface, appear a little less daunting.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:26 PM

Well, I can see this point. I'm comfortable with both "conservative" and "liberal" towns, but maybe it's because these things aren't really important to me.

But I can see the point about wanting to be with like-minded people. I definitely prefer living in a town with "positive" people rather than "negative" people. There are some towns I would never live in because the people you meet are just so depressing. It's contagious.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:29 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,039,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
That's what I'm trying to understand. Tell us about the VIBE. What vibe does a "liberal" city have that somehow makes it different from a similar sized "conservative" city?
What has been proven time and time again, not only here but elsewhere in the world as well, is that your more cosmopolitan and diverse areas (in both culture and mindset) tend to be more liberal. Areas where artistic expressioin is exhibited and diverse ideas and thought are exchanged out in the open ten to be more liberal. Additionally, the urban environment in communities as such fosters social interaction by being more walkable and dense. Because of this, it is no surprise that many capital cities, coastal cities, and college towns (with a sound liberal arts cirriculum) have a more liberal vibe.

Conservative towns tend to be more conventional and maybe even a little more spartan in that the important attribute that all citizens desire in places as such is order and tranquility. Additionally, in regards to urban landscape, there isn't a lot of innovation as local government resorts to the more conventional, auto-oriented patterns of development. Hence the predominance of HOA's and familiar retail and restaurant chains.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, but in general this is what I've observed in my short time on this earth.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:00 PM

I suppose it comes down to a question of:

Would you rather live in a place that is already diverse, or...

would you rather be a diversity pioneer?

I have a hard time relating to this question because I'm a pioneer type. I don't mind being the token minority--instead, I like the idea that I am like Johnny Appleseed, bringing new ideas. I like living in the suburbs, planting native plants instead of a thirst grass lawn... and then watching some of my neighbors admire it and start doing the same. I like being on this forum, even though I think I'm your token old coot. (I was going to say I was a retiree, but for someone who has retired I seem to keep going to work an awful lot...)

But we pioneers are an uncommon bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.