U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 09:30 AM

11,095 posts, read 22,346,373 times

Advertisements

For me, that city is Denver, Colorado.

I still dream of living in Denver. Maybe the grass is just too green on the other side and actually living there won't be as great as I think.

The only things about Denver that I can think of that would be a problem are its isolation from other larger cities and its economy (most lower salaries vs cost of living).

But other than that, the city couldn't be more perfect.

It's just the right size. 3-4 million is a perfect size. Not so large that its overwhelming and difficult to navigate or take advantage of, but just large enough to have just about any possible thing a large metro can offer (all pro sports leagues, museums, aquarium, zoo, nightlife etc).

Regional metro pride. I love how the entire metro is on one page. Whether you live in the city or the suburbs there is general region wide mutual respect. People in the suburbs support the city creating one of the most vibrant central cities in the US.

Yet at the same time Denver has nice suburbs and you can live in the suburbs and still proudly say you are from Denver.

The Denver area (city and suburbs) has a robust and rapidly expanding regional transit system that is bike friendly (something I find lacking in the heavy rail systems around DC etc. Plus because Denver is a smaller city, you can actually go from the the suburbs to the city or visa versa via light rail quickly. Larger cities become so spread out that transit become inefficient over larger distances.

Incredible trails system. You can actually get around metro Denver via bike trails. Very comprehensive system.

Busy well connected airport. So while Denver is isolated, at least you can get just about anywhere from DEN.

Great urban core, nice suburbs and......Mountains. You get the city, nice suburbs and a great outdoors state for skiiing the winter and all kinds of activities in the summer such as downhill mountain biking.

Speaking of summer. Summer in Colorado is amazing. Not too hot, just nice. Winters are not bad along the front range and lots and lots of annual sunshine.

So yea. Denver would be nice.

Where do you dream of living some day?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 PM

6,845 posts, read 10,118,815 times
Great thread. I'm also complex in what's appealed to me and how I've kept up with it all.

In North America I would only like to (and yes restricted to only these) live in only these cities, nothing more and nothing less (in any order): New York, Miami, Chicago, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington DC, Tucson, San Diego, Denver, Cancun, Cozumel, and Monterrey (Mexico). Possibly also Austin, but that ends it.

Here's why some of them will never happen:

New York: I've decided, after this winter I'll never deal with another winter again in my life unless it's a vacation to California, Arizona, or Colorado with the intention of snowboarding. I just cant deal with cold, I know things like career, location, environment, amenities, and assets should all come first but I just cant do it. Washington DC is already beyond a frigid city. Climate rules this one out for permanent relocation. I think I can do New York for a year or two and eventually I will, but not permanently and definitely wont be spending a day of winter there.

Toronto and Chicago: They sort of come as a package. I mean what could you possibly say one has the other doesn't at this point? I've already lived in Chicago but haven't in Toronto, could I do it? Yes. I could and I'd love to give Toronto a try to and add it to my "lived in" resume for (like New York) a year or two. Again, not a day of winter though. So like New York, both are eliminated for permanent residency (life long).

Washington DC: A great city but no where close to as great as the three above it. Winter and size will cross this off, I'm out of here. Technically already lived in but I'm thinking of your topic as both why I haven't lived in places I've liked and why I wont do places I've already tried again.

Vancouver: From a scenery point of view, among my favorite cities in the world. Again, like all the others, I could easily live here for a year or two, and I could easily have seen my life there if it weren't for how isolated it is. Don't get me wrong, as with each city above it, I could also spend life in Vancouver but ultimately a year or two is probably best and I wont get around to it since well, I'll be giving up a lot for only one great city in the Pacific Northwest.

San Diego, Tucson, Denver: All beautiful. All three different types of scenery cities and different settings. Would love to retire to any of them and finish off my last days in one. I'll save these three till then, because at this stage they are all beyond culturally too quiet for me.

Cancun, Monterrey, Cozumel: Language barrier. Yes theoretically I have no issue learning a language and learning culture and customs to live in a place I like or love, which I love all three. However, the world is a big place, like all the others above it, a year or two tops. Couldn't do permanent, so I suppose they get ruled out like the rest (except Miami).

Miami: Also has it's setbacks (primarily employment opportunities and income) but overall, this is where I'm headed this year. So I suppose it wins. Has the best combination of climate (that is suitable for me), location, cosmopolitanism, culture, such and such. Thankfully in a list of ten choices, at least one place I've always liked can be apart of my permanent future plans (save for a year or two if I go with somewhere else for change of scenery, but I'd be right back in Miami in the end either way).

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-19-2014 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-22-2014, 02:43 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,625,003 times
Fort Worth, Texas, has not happened because of the federal budget cuts on low income subsidized housing(Section 8 Housing Vouchers) which have been restricted since 2013.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:02 AM

31,304 posts, read 31,309,562 times
Seattle or Portland areas would be nice for me. I’d like change but don’t know if I could live there on a permanent bases. I think I’ve only got one more move in me at this age so I have to make it a good move because there’s no coming back or recovery if it didn’t work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.