Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 03:38 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh is regionally lost. West Virginia is too. It is neither Midwestern or Eastern. I actually think NE Ohio, Northern and Panhandle West Virginia and Western Penna. forms a micro-region --West Ohpenna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 05:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Of the three, Pittsburgh. However, you might keep looking a bit. At least, take a trip there and stay for a week (some advice I read on another thread). It has not entirely shed its rustbelt image. "Progressive" is not a word I would use to describe Pittsburgh. Go read the Pittsburgh forum.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:39 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Louisville gets my vote. Its cheap, has moderate weather, and is very progressive and gay friendly in the urban core. Check out the Highlands, Old Louisville, Crescent Hill, Clifton, and St Matthews. If you are interested in networking with the local gay community, here is a resource to get started. Louisville is also safer and just cleaner and nicer in my opinion, especially compared to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a cool city though. I am not impressed with San Antonio at all:

G3 Illustrated - It's more than a magazine... it's a movement!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:10 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
I have been to Louisville and it seemed like a decent city. Never been to Pittsburgh so I can't say much about the place. As far as job growth, and a booming economy, San Antonio is the leader of the three. It is one of the fastest growing in the country and has better weather. Today it was cool and in the low 70's, but gets cooler at night. San Antonio is a liberal city for the most part, the Chief of Police(Former Minneapolis Chief) was the MC of San Antonio gay pride 2007. The Gayhoods would be concentrated around these areas, Southtown, Monte Vista, Olmos Park, Alamo Heights and the Broadway corridor.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:57 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
You cant base your decision on being gay they all tie. San Antonio is very liberal for the south (which i dis-like a bit). San Antonio weather is alot nicer than the others IMO. If you lived in southern Arizona than i think you would agree. San Antonio is the cheapest and has the most to do unless you are into mayor league sports. All this is based o San Antonio vs Pittsburgh never saw a reason to stop in Louisville. But go visit all three like the previous poster. Seem like there is more economic opportunity in San Antonio.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 AM

San Antonio has Major league sports? NBA, WNBA, AHL(step below NHL) ,and hopefully an MLB or NFL team soon.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:57 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,294 times
Default Anywhere but San Antonio...

My family still lives in San Antonio. I only go there because I have to.
It has zero culture. It's also in Texas ! Don't do it ! Austin is more liberal than San Antonio and that is only by Texas standards...now drive around the
country towns around these places and see what those standards are...
trust me it's pretty pathetic. I travel all over the world and I sincerely believe
that Texas has the most mean spirited people I've ever been around.
If you have any desire to go here...do yourself a favor and spend a few days or weeks there first and you'll see exactly what I mean. Louisville or Pittsburgh would be far better choices than San Antonio.

Last edited by Kerby W-R; 12-07-2007 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-07-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
My family still lives in San Antonio. I only go there because I have to.
It has zero culture. It's also in Texas ! Don't do it ! Austin is more liberal than San Antonio and that is only by Texas standards...now drive around the
country towns around these places and see what those standards are...
trust me it's pretty pathetic. I travel all over the world and I sincerely believe
that Texas has the most mean spirited people I've ever been around.
If you have any desire to go here...do yourself a favor and spend a few days or weeks there first and you'll see exactly what I mean. Louisville or Pittsburgh would be far better choices than San Antonio.

Zero culture? Further from the truth, but it is your opinion. I've have been to many places and have to disagree with the unfriendliness comment. Austin has it's culture, certainly no more than San Antonio. A city that is 300 years old, clearly has it's own unique culture, this is the reason it is a popular destination, and these other two cities are not.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 12-07-2007 at 11:11 AM..

Old 12-07-2007, 11:14 AM

Let's keep the three cities mentioned and not bring in Austin into the discussion.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:32 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
I know little about Louisville, and don't care to know about Pittsburgh, so I would choose San Antonio. Live downtown. It's dense, active, romantic, old, and beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.