Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 03:36 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Well yeah, I can go up north in Wisconsin/Michigan/Minnesota for evergreen forests, but there's also a giant carpet of snow. I'm not sure if places out West at elevation/Pac N'West/Upper Midwest/some New England areas count here or not, but they're a lively green (in a field of white).
Added bonus in the Pacific Northwest- at least in the populated areas of western Washington and Oregon, is that you have the grass remaining green, you have the evergreen forests, and quite a few leafy trees and bushes that keep leaves year round- and you do not have snow to deal with because it is almost always just a bit too warm for snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 03:45 PM

166 posts, read 241,026 times
Try cuba,I have heard people say that cuba is always green and vibrant.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:43 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
So what magical grass do you have in Ohio that manages to stay green during freezing temps, when the grass down South doesn't even stay green?
my understanding since I have never lived in the north is that Kentucky bluegrass stays green under snow and doesn't brown until 0 deg F. I don't know that for sure, someone from up there told me. I don't know of a grass other than winter rye that will stay green down here in the winter.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:52 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Honestly, the only place that TRULY stays green in the winter, is South Florida. Well, so Flo and Hawaii. Central Florida gets brownish in the winter. Central Florida in winter looks like how the rest of the US does, in the fall. And the panhandle of Florida gets ocassional little snow flurries. Sometimes it feels like Tallahassee is an extension of the Piedmont. But the furthest South one has to go is South Florida. And even then South Florida gets cold fronts.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:48 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Those warm season grasses in the South look awful during the winter. Like dried out brown hay. Up here we have the cool season grasses mixed with some warm season. Overall grass here stays green to slightly off green, but not nearly as dead brown as warm season grasses after one frost. In a normal winter here the grass is green all winter. In the South it is too hot in summer for cool season grasses and it will burn up.

If a person down there wants green grass they have to overseed their lawn in the Fall with cool season grass. In the Spring the warm grass will take over while the cool grass goes dormant.

There are many types of bushes and shrubs that will stay green all winter when combined with the grass will prevent the "dead" look. The problem is that everyone wants color in the Spring (deciduous bushes and shrubs blooming) and Fall (leaves changing color). Americans plant New England type flora everywhere. If a person wanted, living in a place like Charleston, SC, they could have a very green landscape all winter long.

Imo, deciduous trees aren't worth the color you get for how they look in winter, but up here we are pretty much stuck with them. If I lived in a climate such as Charleston or Savannah has I would plant all kinds of evergreen and palms in my landscape. People in DC have loads of green shrubs and bushes in the landscape, along with green grass. Same in my region. Doesn't look nearly as dead as Minnesota, lol. The Upper Midwest looks a lot more dead than the rest of the US due to the extreme cold night temps as they are so far from any moderating maritime influence.

Here is a list of evergreen shrubs that can survive zone 6 and above. There are loads of foliage people could plant to provide green color in winter. However, everyone plants the same stuff.

Garden World - Hubbard's Best Retail Nursery

DC this winter:

This photo of the White House is from this past January after some very cold temps:

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...anuary2014.jpg
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...c152013017.jpg
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...c152013013.jpg

Green grass in New Jersey in winter

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...r282012005.jpg

Cape May NJ in winter

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...82012001-1.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 03-21-2014 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Honestly, the only place that TRULY stays green in the winter, is South Florida. Well, so Flo and Hawaii. Central Florida gets brownish in the winter. Central Florida in winter looks like how the rest of the US does, in the fall. And the panhandle of Florida gets ocassional little snow flurries. Sometimes it feels like Tallahassee is an extension of the Piedmont. But the furthest South one has to go is South Florida. And even then South Florida gets cold fronts.

Not true. As others have pointed out many places in the US have green landscapes in winter. You also forgot about CA and Arizona.

Are you aware there are over 3,000 citrus trees in Charleston County alone in South Carolina. These were counted by USDA personnel due to the presence of citrus greening.

People there grow all kinds of subtropicals:

Lowcountry homeowners grow fruit trees including bananas, citrus and figs – The Post and Courier

As I said, if a person wanted they could plant very green landscapes.

This is Charleston, SC this past winter and last winter:

https://www.facebook.com/MiddletonPlaceFndtn

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...SCJan42014.jpg
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...rsBlooming.jpg
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...ninjanuary.jpg
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...y9th2013-1.png
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...anuary2014.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 03-21-2014 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Not true. As others have pointed out many places in the US have green landscapes in winter. You also forgot about CA and Arizona.

Are you aware there are over 3,000 citrus trees in Charleston County alone in South Carolina. These were counted by USDA personnel due to the presence of citrus greening.

People there grow all kinds of subtropicals:

Lowcountry homeowners grow fruit trees including bananas, citrus and figs – The Post and Courier

As I said, if a person wanted they could plant very green landscapes.

This is Charleston, SC this past winter and last winter:

https://www.facebook.com/MiddletonPlaceFndtn

Nice. In Florida, they take advantage of the tropical climate, by growing every tropical thriving tree they can.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Nice. In Florida, they take advantage of the tropical climate, by growing every tropical thriving tree they can.

Yes, they do. Florida is all about Tourism and tax revenue it generates. They will plant tropical and subtropical landscapes everywhere. People that live there have a mentality that "this is Florida, we have to have palm trees".

Most Americans haven't a clue what will grow and thrive in their region. They just assume that because it goes below freezing, only New England type vegetation can grow. Winter daytime warmth along with sunshine can make all the difference, even if it goes below freezing many nights in a winter.

Any zone 8b/9a climate and above in the US (large swaths of the US Southeast and West Coast) can grow citrus and loads of palms and evergreen shrubs, along with flowering winter plants. Not all flowers die with temps below freezing (Camelias). Camelias are stunning trees and shrubs that are broadleaf evergreen and bloom right in winter. There are loads of varieties of Camelias. There are other flowering plants that bloom thru winter outside of Miami, lol. There are all kinds of highland tropical vegetation (cold hardy) that can grow in 8b/9a zones and above.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:32 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
I have lived in Central Florida almost all of my life, and I didn't notice that during winter that most tress down here look green all year, and even the grass is green all year! I love the grass down here.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes, they do. Florida is all about Tourism and tax revenue it generates. They will plant tropical and subtropical landscapes everywhere. People that live there have a mentality that "this is Florida, we have to have palm trees".

Most Americans haven't a clue what will grow and thrive in their region. They just assume that because it goes below freezing, only New England type vegetation can grow. Winter daytime warmth along with sunshine can make all the difference, even if it goes below freezing many nights in a winter.

Any zone 8b/9a climate and above in the US (large swaths of the US Southeast and West Coast) can grow citrus and loads of palms and evergreen shrubs, along with flowering winter plants. Not all flowers die with temps below freezing (Camelias). Camelias are stunning trees and shrubs that are broadleaf evergreen and bloom right in winter. There are loads of varieties of Camelias. There are other flowering plants that bloom thru winter outside of Miami, lol. There are all kinds of highland tropical vegetation (cold hardy) that can grow in 8b/9a zones and above.
Yep. There are even cold-hardy palms, that grow naturally in the desert areas of the Southwest. As we all know, snow and freezing temps are common in the desert, and these palms can survive long winters in the desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.