Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 04:47 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Actually, the US east of the Rockies gets very intense winter cold considering the latitude. Barcelona in Spain is the same latitude as Chicago.
Western sides of continents are always going to be warmer than eastern sides, you should compare Chicago to Asia, Chicago is further North than Beijing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 11:30 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
In the eastern part of the US is central Florida on south the only place where the grass doesn't turn a dormant brown color for the winter? What about trees? Do deciduous trees north of Florida all lose their leaves?
Does the deep south have the dead winter look, even near the gulf coast?
Only Orlando and points south.

Here in Louisiana our winters are much shorter and the leaves stay green for a bigger portion of the year, but there are still 2 months where the vegetation is gone, even though we have more sunny days than further north.

It was quite dreary here all week and driving into Baton Rouge under overcast skies past a massive industrial landscape yesterday, that is honestly my impression of what New Jersey and Michigan must be like.......

Old 12-28-2018, 08:22 AM

35,080 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I think Charleston is about the cutoff to having some green (other than grass and some brush).

Old 12-28-2018, 08:37 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
In the eastern part of the US is central Florida on south the only place where the grass doesn't turn a dormant brown color for the winter? What about trees? Do deciduous trees north of Florida all lose their leaves?
Does the deep south have the dead winter look, even near the gulf coast?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Only Orlando and points south.
Actually farther north than that as Jacksonville residents can attest.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:50 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times
Go to the desert...

No "Dead winter" look in Phoenix. Grass and trees look the same in Jan as they do in May.
However, there is a "Dead summer" look when some plants die because it's too hot and dry.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:11 PM

23,465 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yes, the perennial green hugs the Atlantic Coast pretty far northward.

Savannah, Charleston and even Wilmington are still enjoying it, thanks to Live Oaks and St. Augustine grass.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:13 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Seattle is interesting because it’s mild enough that you have some deciduous species that stay green all winter and the grass stays green and you’ll see palm trees here and there, plus the abundant evergreens. But there are also plenty of maples, oaks, etc. that lose their leaves and look dead. I would say we have a “half-dead” winter look.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:28 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I thought Jacksonville was climactically more similar to Louisiana and Mississippi than South Florida. Didn't remember it being a very tropical place but I guess there are more palms there compared to here. I do know winter still gets quite chilly in North Florida (cold enough to not be able to swim outdoors) and the Panhandle. Its only past Orlando where the winter becomes the high season.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:50 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
I thought Jacksonville was climactically more similar to Louisiana and Mississippi than South Florida. Didn't remember it being a very tropical place but I guess there are more palms there compared to here. I do know winter still gets quite chilly in North Florida (cold enough to not be able to swim outdoors) and the Panhandle. Its only past Orlando where the winter becomes the high season.
There's only a five degree difference between Orlando and Jacksonville typically in the winter months, so when it's too cold in one it's the same in the other. The only differentiating factor in terms of "high season" is Dizzy World, etc in Orlando versus the beach resort aspect in Jacksonville (Amelia Island and others) which obviously is less appealing from November to March.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:55 AM

23,465 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
In it's early history, Jacksonville was indeed a winter resort town, as were St. Augustine, Thomasville, GA and Aiken, SC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...ville,_Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.