Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times

Advertisements

SignoreAmante"""A city I can speak for is Atlanta, the suburbs are not accepting of interracial relationships involving White females with males who look foreign. Among the younger crowd, you never see it, ever. I never saw a couple like you and your girlfriend in my entire life in Atlanta among the younger crowds. We have a certain kind of way of thinking there. Sure, we'll be your friends but if you are a foreigner we do not want your son anywhere near our daughter, especially if it involves dating. That is just the way it is in Atlanta and the entire ex-confederacy""".

Oh Brother, do you live under a rock or in a cave? Total BS....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 AM

51 posts, read 135,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
SignoreAmante"""A city I can speak for is Atlanta, the suburbs are not accepting of interracial relationships involving White females with males who look foreign. Among the younger crowd, you never see it, ever. I never saw a couple like you and your girlfriend in my entire life in Atlanta among the younger crowds. We have a certain kind of way of thinking there. Sure, we'll be your friends but if you are a foreigner we do not want your son anywhere near our daughter, especially if it involves dating. That is just the way it is in Atlanta and the entire ex-confederacy""".

Oh Brother, do you live under a rock or in a cave? Total BS....
No, I have lived in the suburbs of Atlanta for years. Never saw couple like the OP, older or younger crowd, will most likely face some discomfort there.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:38 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
I agree that the best bets for the OP will be big cities and big college towns, especially outside of the rural South. The catch though may be finding a job in finance AND a decent COL in some of these places.

NYC has the jobs, but the housing may be to dear -- although I always say that it isn't nearly what most people think it is, espiecally outside of Manhattan and the trendy Brooklyn negihborhoods. Large swaths of aggresively middle-class Queens might fit the OP quite well in terms of job availability, housing costs, diversity, and acceptance. So might several of the city's suburbs, from Edison in NJ, north to Stamford in Connecticut.

Other big cities I'd look at would be Seattle, Chicago and Washington DC, though the latter can also be pricey, both
in the city and the 'burbs.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:43 PM

I doubt Californians care that much about OP's relationship since it is common to see Latinos who resemble OP with White women. Having been to Southern California myself I saw it more than enough times. Hate to break it to you and it pains me to say this as a Southerner, only in the south and the lower midwest is there excessive animosity towards a White woman especially if she is attractive dating or marrying a man that is not White. Your typical Southerner will come up with all sorts of reasons for why it just can't happen. Go to a college like the University of Alabama and see how strict the views on race are, there was a documentary floating around on Youtube about racism in frat life at UA.

We are talking college kids here who have an issue with being near other races. OP would be best to stay out of anywhere in the ex-confederacy, even the big cities. The food might be awesome, weather might be great for a lot, and it might have a lot of economic job growth but it is not a good place at all for an interracial couple that involves a White woman with a foreign looking man.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:49 PM

A while ago when I was in the DC-Maryland area, there were surprisingly a lot of couples involving White women with men of different races whether the man was Black, Asian, Latino, and lots of Arabic men as well (might have been South Asian). Another area where I saw a few couples involving White women with Asian and foreign men was Seattle, even met a couple like that and no one seemed to care.

You may be asking why I noticed this, that is because where I was born and raised (Atlanta), even today, such couples would turn heads and provoke a lot of uncomfortable responses. Growing up I would hear people gossip about how un-natural and wrong interracial dating was. What is scary is that the younger generation (high school and college kids) there believes those things.

Outside of the lower Midwest (Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri) and the ex-confederacy, no one cares about interracial relationships enough to make another person's life hell for it. In a lot of places they are not only tolerated but accepted.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:09 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoreAmante View Post
A while ago when I was in the DC-Maryland area, there were surprisingly a lot of couples involving White women with men of different races whether the man was Black, Asian, Latino, and lots of Arabic men as well (might have been South Asian).
Yes. In the Washington, D.C. area, if you have an s.o., people don't normally even assume that person will be of the same race/ethnicity as yourself.

You just go out and date whoever you like. Variety is spicy and all that. :-)

Old 03-25-2014, 06:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Check out Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. Besides being dynamic, diverse cities, the cost of living is lower than in most other cities of this size in the US.

Texans in general, but especially those in Texas' huge cities, are very independent minded and therefore tolerant.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:19 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Oh, please. Spare me.

As someone whose lived in California, Georgia, and Texas, I can assure you that people are much more racist and judgmental overall in Georgia and Texas than in California.

What the OP and his fiancee experienced in Georgia and Oklahoma happens all of the time in those places--and in most parts of the South, for that matter--regardless of whether you're in podunk Lawton, OK or affluent John's Creek, GA.

People on the West Coast simple don't harbor the same racial prejudices as those in the South. Furthermore, even if a Californian harbored strong racial prejudices, you'd probably never know, as people on the West Coast rarely vocalize their true feelings and emotions unlike people in the East, many of whom let whatever hits the brain slip out the mouth.
Really? What if they had run into the one (or maybe even two) people in California who did possess this racial prejudice, and did vocalize their true feelings. Don't think it hasn't happened, or that it can't. What I meant was that you can't judge an entire state by the comments of a couple of people. I stand by that...don't judge my entire neighborhood, city, or state because of the comments of a few boorish people. You are judging the south quite harshly (because you said it happens all the time in those places), while giving the entire West Coast a pass. Please. Spare me.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoreAmante View Post
Sure, we'll be your friends but if you are a foreigner we do not want your son anywhere near our daughter, especially if it involves dating. That is just the way it is in Atlanta and the entire ex-confederacy.

I wonder if all those white girls at my kids high schools realized that they were dating out of their race!

Old 03-25-2014, 06:39 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
I think in most cities anywhere in the US you will be fine. You'd sure be a lot safer than I would walking around holding hands with your Arabic sister back in Libya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.