Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:36 AM

854 posts, read 1,481,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, I grew up in a place in California where the fishing/seafood industry had been run by Italian-American families for about 100 years.
Yeah, he's clearly never been to Sonoma County!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 09:43 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
Quote:
The reason to move West is really if you love the landscape and geography of the region--that's the highlights and the fun and the adventure of the area--if you don't look forward to that, there's no point in moving here and then pining for BosWash.
That's exactly why I moved to the Southwest, because I appreciate the differences and the adventures it offers that can not be found anywhere else (for me). It's something I needed at this point in life and it presents challenges that make me stronger, I love it out here!

Old 03-30-2014, 10:08 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,935,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
That's exactly why I moved to the Southwest, because I appreciate the differences and the adventures it offers that can not be found anywhere else (for me). It's something I needed at this point in life and it presents challenges that make me stronger, I love it out here!
I definitely think the scenery out west is nice (although I wish there was more deciduous greenery and humidity).

Old 03-30-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I definitely think the scenery out west is nice (although I wish there was more deciduous greenery and humidity).
That's why I was saying you might like the Pacific Northwest, it has all kinds of greenery.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:36 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Oh really? Provide some examples, because I just scrolled through the entire thread and found very little to none of that.
You must have overlooked the posts near the beginning of this thread alleging all kinds of things about the East:

Less free-spirited, enlightened, individualistic, creative, curious, health-conscious... More uptight, religious, conventional, old-fashioned, conformist, slower to change...

The above would normally qualify as stand-up comedy. The Northeast especially is the most progressive part of the United States by a significant margin.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:43 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
Now, as an east coaster, I think the west coast is really only liberal along the coast....and that's it.

Go 40 miles inland from the coast it's very conservative and religious, just as is areas of the south and mid-west area. .

Also, I think that idea that "out west" is more liberal and more hippy-like tree-hugging types is eroding.
I go out west for work about 4 times a year and if anything it seems like outside the immediate coast line it's very religious with all the mormons and Arizona with their somewhat wacky/conservative politics, Utah very religious, New Mexico is basically northern Mexico and it seems almost conservative and indigenous. Even parts of California like Calexico and inland are more indigenous feeling and conservative.

East coast, in particular the northeast coast seems a lot less religious and conservative, especially MASS, NY/NJ and Dc Philly.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:50 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You must have overlooked the posts near the beginning of this thread alleging all kinds of things about the East:

Less free-spirited, enlightened, individualistic, creative, curious, health-conscious... More uptight, religious, conventional, old-fashioned, conformist, slower to change...

The above would normally qualify as stand-up comedy. The Northeast especially is the most progressive part of the United States by a significant margin.
I see like one post like that and it was from a transplanted New Englander to the west. You can provide examples of all these other posts you're seeing.

//www.city-data.com/forum/34033058-post9.html

In my experience--in reality(not CityData) people in the Western US don't really talk all that much about the East Coast or have much opinion on it--unless they're from the East Coast(or nearby) or lived there at one point. People are more concerned with "Californians" or their neighboring states in terms of discussion. There is a snobbiness to certain parts of the West Coast, but it has less to do with any sort of comparison to East Coast and more just a general smugness about where they live. Snobby areas on the West Coast spend more time being snobby towards other parts of the West Coast.

Last edited by Deezus; 03-30-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
New Mexico is basically northern Mexico and it seems almost conservative and indigenous.
Are you kidding me? New Mexico is as American a story as any other state. There are conservative elements here for sure, particularly closer to the Texas border. But this is very much a live and let live state, it's a blue state with center left and right swing cycles. Santa Fe is one of the more liberal cities in the west and even rural counties like Taos county had over 70% Obama vote in 2012, which doesn't necessarily translate to more progressive but it's outside the box of your narrow minded perception of this state. And your northern Mexico comment isn't even worth the dignity of a response but I'll leave it at go see Chihuahua or Sonora for yourself and then tell me how similar New Mexico is to Northern Mexico.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:27 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,379 times
Not really West VS east as much as the South and North seeing each other this way.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, it can go both ways(and this applies to every region of the country). Before the first time I went to Boston I heard plenty of times about how people were "rude" and "surly" out there and how everyone was either a dour-faced puritan or tough-talking Southie Irish. Upon my first trip there and other trips, I found it to be among my favorite (and my fiancee's favorite) cities in the US including the people there. I always have a great time shooting the shat with the locals in Boston--they're fun to talk to to and when we got stranded in Boston with no luggage after returning from Italy, everyone in Boston was really cool(people were even buying us pints at the pub). The funny thing though was that most of the people who were most playing up this negative reputation of Boston before I got there--were actually from other parts of New England.
Ahh, but that's the thing I miss about Boston is they take surly and make it fun. Boston has a very palpable comical character about it. I mean I'll talk in the accent at work if I'm in the mood at work and my colleagues will laugh and then say "no, we love it, lol". Boston humor can be somewhat self deprecating but no doubt hilarious sense of sarcasm about life. I can only imagine the kind of bar shat shooting in the month of "Mahch" and they'll be saying..."are you kiddin me (drop the R) it's gonna #2%&#@ snow again tomorrow? It's a very spirited city. It doesn't surprise me that you hit it off well with the bar crowd there, that's awesome.

Quote:
But it's just like why you sort of just have to travel places with an open mind. Personally I find sometimes the people in the Northeast to sometimes be more engaging and friendlier than in the Pacific Northwest. At the same time people are people and once you live somewhere and a group of like 10 good friends(who could be from anywhere) you stop caring about social differences. But I think travel and relocation is best suited to adaptives and not reactives.
That's pretty much what it boils down to Deezus, and it doesn't matter where you come from.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-30-2014 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.