Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:20 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Some threads are funny & this is one for sure. I guess Southerners missed the news that the Northern weather isn't too different from there's. Maybe they will start relocating in droves to the North.
I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I don't think so.
I don't think so either. And to add to it, the OP included the midwest in this mix. The midwest has a much harsher climate than the coasts, particularly in winteer, even if they're all termed "humid continental" which I don't think is the case. Minneapolis is both colder in winter and hotter in summer than Moscow! I've posted the stats a couple of times recently here on CD. Champaign, IL is roughly the same latitude as Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, yet has a much harsher winter. (All are about 40 degrees north.) Summers in the midwest are hotter per latitude, as well.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:03 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I don't think so.
I think your sarcasm detector needs to be re-adjusted.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:13 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Philly and New York City have pretty mushy winters with as much rain as snow, and their summers are nearly as hot as down South just not as long in duration. Even states like Mississippi and Alabama regularly dip down below 20F in the winter on certain mornings. Virtually anything north of Florida experiences colder winter lows than Canada's west coast!

I think - with the exception of Florida and the Northwoods of northern Minnesota/Michigan/upstate NY/Vermont/Maine - the South, Northeast and Midwest more or less are the same Humid Continental climate type. Georgia's landscape more or less looks the same as that of Ohio just more wooded due to less deforestation. The main differences are that winter is longer and summer is shorter the further north you go.
i agree. it is the length of summer vs. winter that's the big difference along the east coast.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:15 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
This is hilarious; do people actually THINK that the South and the North AREN'T different in climate?

Yes some parts of the south do indeed get cold and snow in the winter; but only the northern, and far inland areas of the region ( for example, the Mid-South/Appalachian region). But even then, the snow melts faster, and occurs less often than in the north.

The Coastal South(the parts near the Gulf of Mexico, and the South Atlantic) is a different story. It is PURE subtropical paradise, with hot summers, and very mild winters. Freezes occur in the Coastal South AT MOST only a handful of times a year (less than 10); many parts of the region are frostless. Winter precip of any kind is AT MOST a couple-times-a-generation thing. You can have 80+ degree days, IN THE DEAD OF WINTER, in this part of the South; average temps are 60s-70s for highs, and 40s-50s for lows. All sorts of subtropical plants, like palms, citrus, sugar cane, rice, etc grow in this part of the South, and they are evergreen too, whereas most trees up North are deciduous. You can even see TROPICAL vegetation, like mangoes, bananas, etc growing like weeds throughout quite a few cities in this part of the south.

Now, the north can get warm during summer, but the heat is not as long as it is in the south. And winters in the North are cold and miserable compared to the South.
huh?

with the exception of Florida -- which the OP specifically excluded -- I don't see where people along the south atlantic are growing palms, citrus, sugarcane, or rice.

having grown up in South Carolina, i don't recall seeing sugarcane growing, ever. The first time I ever saw sugarcane was in south Louisiana. Citrus crops are nonexistent in Georgia, SC, or NC. People grow individual citrus trees, but they require a lot of management. Rice isn't cultivated here anymore, either.

now, palm trees -- there are certain hardy "palms" that will grow here, but hardy palms also grow in a climate like New Jersey or New York, so that doesn't tell us much.

in general, the coastal areas along the south atlantic that are north of Florida (GA, SC, NC) have average winter lows of 35-40, not 40-50.

Last edited by le roi; 03-31-2014 at 08:48 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 02:06 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
BOTTOM LINE: It is much easier to deal with HEAT than it is with COLD, at least IMO. Just consider the historic inflruence that air conditioning had on the Sunbelt boom.
100% inarguably untrue! It is easy as pie "dealing with" cold for me, and absolutely brutal dealing with the exhausting Southern heat. Your air conditioning example actually proves you wrong - people couldn't handle the heat and preferred the north until an invention came around that made it possible to deal with the withering heat. People have been moving south in greater numbers recently due to jobs, cost of living and immigration, the end.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:11 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
100% inarguably untrue! It is easy as pie "dealing with" cold for me, and absolutely brutal dealing with the exhausting Southern heat. Your air conditioning example actually proves you wrong - people couldn't handle the heat and preferred the north until an invention came around that made it possible to deal with the withering heat. People have been moving south in greater numbers recently due to jobs, cost of living and immigration, the end.
That is your opinion. I have lived in cold and hot climates and I would rather deal with heat any day.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
It may be the jobs that attract people to the sunbelt, but it's often the climate that keeps them there. I have read that people will come to Denver for a job, get laid off, and take a job digging ditches before they'll go back to East Bumfort, Midwest USA. Also, when someone loses a job, they have a choice; they can look locally, or they can look elsewhere. Elsewhere often happens to be the sunbelt. People in Cali are all the time bragging about their climate. I was at a Caltech class reunion with DH one time; they were talking about how while Einstein had an appointment at Princeton, he liked to hang out at Caltech in the winter b/c of the weather.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:50 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It may be the jobs that attract people to the sunbelt, but it's often the climate that keeps them there. I have read that people will come to Denver for a job, get laid off, and take a job digging ditches before they'll go back to East Bumfort, Midwest USA. Also, when someone loses a job, they have a choice; they can look locally, or they can look elsewhere. Elsewhere often happens to be the sunbelt. People in Cali are all the time bragging about their climate. I was at a Caltech class reunion with DH one time; they were talking about how while Einstein had an appointment at Princeton, he liked to hang out at Caltech in the winter b/c of the weather.
Great scientific rebuttal...clap...clap...Go Team South!!

Old 03-31-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Great scientific rebuttal...clap...clap...Go Team South!!
What was that all about? I don't recall your post being particularly scientific either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.