Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:30 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever moved away from their home metro area, and then moved back later on? If so, were you glad that you moved back or did you regret it and why?

Is the old adage "there's no place like home," true or false?

My parents have been convincing me to give up looking for the ideal place to live and just move back to my home metro area. But I mean, I left for various reasons and think it might be stupid to go back. I mean, that's like going back to a relationship that you broke up with someone with. Or going back to work for a company you hated, right?

They keep saying things like "oh well I really think you enjoy being around your family...blah blah blah." However, what they fail to realize is that the whole family dynamic is changing (if not already changed). All of my siblings and cousins (I'm the oldest of everyone) are now either in college, working, or bogged down with a girlfriend/boyfriend or whatever. They never initiate conversation with me anymore and everyone just gets very busy and has obligations now that we're all adults. So why on earth would I care to be living near family again?

Anyway, not to get off topic, but please do share your thoughts, opinions and experiences on the various topics introduced in this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 04:53 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times
I was very happy to move back to Omaha from Las Vegas.. Omaha is so underrated, I simply do not have the words to describe it.. We are recognized all over the place for economy, standard of living, cost of loving, music, food, beer mixology, festivals, downtown living, architecture, easy to get jobs, events etc... Yet, we don't get any mention on CD as people are so focused on a few cities... Omaha is truly a top notch city and while we get noted for it, nobody ever talks about it

Old 03-30-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I was very happy to move back to Omaha from Las Vegas.. Omaha is so underrated, I simply do not have the words to describe it.. We are recognized all over the place for economy, standard of living, cost of loving, music, food, beer mixology, festivals, downtown living, architecture, easy to get jobs, events etc... Yet, we don't get any mention on CD as people are so focused on a few cities... Omaha is truly a top notch city and while we get noted for it, nobody ever talks about it
I have visited Omaha and was impressed. It's a cool little place.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Well, that is interesting to know because you're right that Omaha doesn't seem to be much on most people's radars.

Maybe it's one of those well-kept secret things. So it's good to know.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:55 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
fwiw, I did and I think it worked out well for me. But my situation is certainly very different from yours.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Flase

"Home is where you make it"

Old 03-30-2014, 11:39 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,734 times
I moved back to Southern California after a few years away. It was great to be close to family and old friends, but overall I was miserable. I quickly remembered all the reasons why I left in the first place, and it only took me 6 months to get out once again. I will always love SoCal, but it's no longer the right place for me.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:04 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I moved back to the Bay Area in 2010 after 9 years in San Diego. After about a year or two I was ready to leave again, either back down to SD or somewhere new. But I likely will be here for the time being now that I have kids as I want them to be raised around our family.

Part of me always missed the Bay Area because of my family and friends. But after I moved back I really didn't see my family as much as I thought I would, part of that is my fault though too. See my friends all the time which is great though.

I'm content here, it's not a bad place to live necessarily but Sd is more my style and liking. If you really don't care for the area you grew up in I really wouldn't move back just to be around family because there is a good chance you won't see them as much as you thought you would.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:23 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
I moved back to Philly after living 4 years in NYC-2 in dorms and 2 in apartments. I feel it was a great decision as I am much more financially secure than I would've been living in Manhattan right after graduation. I own my home, which would certainly not be possible for me in New York.

I will probably move somewhere new in the near future but Philly will always be home and I do intend to come back again if I do move away for a while.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I moved back to the Bay Area in 2010 after 9 years in San Diego. After about a year or two I was ready to leave again, either back down to SD or somewhere new. But I likely will be here for the time being now that I have kids as I want them to be raised around our family.

Part of me always missed the Bay Area because of my family and friends. But after I moved back I really didn't see my family as much as I thought I would, part of that is my fault though too. See my friends all the time which is great though.

I'm content here, it's not a bad place to live necessarily but Sd is more my style and liking. If you really don't care for the area you grew up in I really wouldn't move back just to be around family because there is a good chance you won't see them as much as you thought you would.
True. The whole dynamic has changed, too. None of my four siblings or cousins really even care to hang out with me anymore. They're all so damn busy these days with their own lives now. Girlfriends, college, jobs, etc. They don't even get excited about starting a conversation with me anymore, about things we used to enjoy talking about. And I always have to initiate the conversation. The ironic thing, was that when I did live in the same area as my family, I still felt very lonely. Hanging out with family when you're 29 and single just isn't that exciting anymore. But the point is -- relationships change. It sounds cold, but don't get me wrong, I would like to see my family every now and then. But times change, for better or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.