Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:22 AM

387 posts, read 1,331,774 times

Advertisements

I would say go West also. We lived out East and didn't care for it. Upstate NY was nice. Lots of snow but Oregon is wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 11:47 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,388 times
Default Bikes for Boise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Boise,ID.
Recently ranked as the best city for yuppie outdoor activities, and the best city for mountain biking. A friend of mine has said Boise is like the best aspects of Eugene and Portland and Seattle all rolled into one city. The downtown area is quaint and full of synergy.
Boise is a great location for someone who loves biking. There are bike paths all over town. It's a great place with a lot of very friendly people.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:08 PM

70 posts, read 421,350 times
Would never have thought of Boise Idaho! Looks like a cool place. So cool that i found this forum!

Old 12-07-2007, 05:56 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Dahlonega, Georgia is a quaint, small town that is most definitely bikeable and one of the less expensive places you can find to live. It's one of those little towns that seems to have a festival every month. There are a number of bike races held there, as well. It might be a little too small for you, but you will be close to your family in the NE. Well, closer than if you moved to Oregon, anyway.

If you'd like more information, Dahlonega, Lumpkin County: The Dahlonega Nugget. The local newspaper for Dahlonega, Georgia this is a link to the town newspaper.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 7,792 times
Thank you so much to those of you who recommended boise! This is such an old thread, but because of it I started researching Boise. It seems to be the perfect middle ground my husband and I have been looking for and more! I'm extremely appreciative and we can't wait to go. Hope all of you are doing greaf!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 AM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Corning NY comes to mind with Corning Incorporated having its HQ's in town and there is the Corning Museum of Glass, along with the Rockwell Museum(affiliated with the Smithsonian) also in town. It is also home to the Orchestra of the Finger Lakes too.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:12 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Only because this still gets views, a city that gets picked on, but may work is Utica NY. It does have this art institute affiliated with the Pratt Institute: https://www.mwpai.org

Another nearby venue: Concerts & Shows » Stanley Center For The Arts

This cafe isn’t too far away: https://m.facebook.com/TRAMONTANECAFE/

Another spot down Genesee Street: Cafe Domenico | TheOtherSideutica.org

Another place on the same street: https://wakethehellup.com/pages/about-us

One more: About - Bite Bakery | Cafe

I’d say that the area of Genesee in South Utica(south of Burrstone Road/Memorial Parkway) is the nicest area of the city and is a straight shot down the street to these establishments. You could also go further south into the walkable village of New Hartford, which is still a straight shot to these places and has places there that you could walk to. There is also a hospital(St Elizabeth’s) in that corridor of the city and mountains(the Adirondacks)are less than an hour away north of the city. Utica College to the west and Mohawk Valley Community College to the east are not too far away down Burrstone Road/Memorial Parkway and could be other options for employment. Faxton-St Luke’s Hospital is also near Utica College. There is also the Utica National Insurance corporate office further south on Genesee in New Hartford. ConMed, a medical device company, is also in that general area on French Road.

A bus line: https://www.centro.org/docs/default-...r.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Schedules: https://www.centro.org/service_sched...chedules-utica

I don’t know about quaint(besides New Hartford), but it fits much of the criteria.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-21-2017 at 07:52 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 08:10 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
I grew up in Boise and hope to make it back one day. It's a gem and I would rather live there than anywhere else in the world.

That said, it is going to be different from NYC. You'll prob be disappointed with the pizza and bagels. I remember we knew some folks from NYC growing up and they complained about that constantly. LOL It's also not diverse at all compared to queens (most places arn't) and while downtown is as walkable as any place and the city and metro is super bikeable and has some of the best urban and mountain trails, the bus system is a joke.

Again, there are many, many positives, there is a reason it always shows up on high quality of life rankings, but it will be different for you so keep that in mind. It could be a great adventure though so I highly recommend visiting. Worst case, you decide it isn't for you but got to experience something different (and hopefully get to leave town a bit and see some of the best untouched wilderness in the country.)

PS, I just saw the age of this thread, holy cow lol

Old 11-22-2017, 05:46 AM

27,202 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Charlottesville VA is more or less by design something that fits the mold. Within the city proper it's often not more than a mile from downtown, commercial/employment areas and other points of interest. The city is both walk-friendly and bike-friendly along with a respectable bus transit system thanks to the presence of the centrally located campus/medical center of the University of Virginia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wItcZ65rHg

Old 11-22-2017, 06:24 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
People on this site have really crazily differing opinions of "small town" . You get everything between a crossroads in the middle of nowhere, to 2 million + metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.