Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:00 AM

549 posts, read 848,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Family member was involved in a very bad crime committed by a person of a certain race. At the suggestion of the therapist to avoid PTSD and try to live stress free. It was the therapist's suggestion

thanks
Seriously? I think you need a different therapist. That's really messed up. I'm really sorry to hear that your family member was involved in this incident, but to segregate yourself from an entire race because of the incident is not healthy. That will only perpetuation the false correlation between crime and race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 08:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I'll echo the common theme here but instead suggest that you find a place that doesn't have any "therapists"

Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'll echo the common theme here but instead suggest that you find a place that doesn't have any "therapists"
I wouldn't go that far. If the person is suffering from PTSD, she's going to need therapy. But if that happened to someone in my family, I would want a therapist who could help her understand that the crime was committed by a person, not a race, and to help her become a functional member of American society again (which means multi-racial society).

Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I would say Hendersonville NC, but you are <2 hours from Charlotte.

Does it ever occur to you that your wife doesn't have to go to Charlotte? Or will she be traumatized if she sees a black person outside the Trader Joe's in Asheville? it is in the inner city after all.

Or is this just a smokescreen because you are as survivalist worried about thundering hordes of minorities streaming out of Charlotte. Making a bee line for your special farm out of 125,000 square miles.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Looking for a city in the US that has the following characteristics.

-- At least 10,000 people
-- No/very low risk of drought
-- Not freezing cold in the winter and if so Very short winters
-- More sunny days than not
-- Adequate growing season for berries, fruit trees
-- Lower risk of natural disasters
-- Low crime
-- Over 2 hours driving distance away in any direction from any non-caucasian large city population
-- 30 mins or less to a Trader Joes (if possible)

I have been trying to find a city like this on the map.. but so far no luck..

Any ideas of one that fits most if not all of the criteria?
Have you tried Finland? Oh yeah, Winter.....never mind.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
Seriously? I think you need a different therapist. That's really messed up. I'm really sorry to hear that your family member was involved in this incident, but to segregate yourself from an entire race because of the incident is not healthy. That will only perpetuation the false correlation between crime and race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Or is this just a smokescreen because you are as survivalist worried about thundering hordes of minorities streaming out of Charlotte. Making a bee line for your special farm out of 125,000 square miles.
It's probably a lie. Just doesn't want to seem racist. Any therapist that suggests relocating away from a certain race of people should not have a job.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:35 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's probably a lie. Just doesn't want to seem racist. Any therapist that suggests relocating away from a certain race of people should not have a job.
I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. There are some bad therapists out there.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Family member was involved in a very bad crime committed by a person of a certain race. At the suggestion of the therapist to avoid PTSD and try to live stress free. It was the therapist's suggestion
I'm going to be the first one to say that that's a load of crap.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:30 AM

854 posts, read 1,481,603 times
Sounds a bit like Asheville to me. Though, it's about exactly 2 hours from Charlotte, and winters are cold but short and not frigid.

I checked Google Earth and indeed it does have a Trader Joe's.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:33 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
I'll ignore the pretense and speculation as to the "real" reason the OP listed that criteria.

Asheville popped immediately to mind, although there is some diversity there.

Portland, Maine and Burlington, VT fit all criteria except for the winters.

Eureka, CA may fit nicely as well, but I'm not sure of the ratio of sunny days to cloudy/rainy days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.