Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:39 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times

Advertisements

Portland Maine has "those people" in it, if you know what I mean, and I think you do. I'd imagine Burlington does, too. Portland is probably one of the least white places north of Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 02:01 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. There are some bad therapists out there.
True, though to be fair, the OP is neither the therapist nor the patient. So even if it is 'true' that it's what the OP has heard it's second-hand as relayed by the family member, whose veracity can't be determined.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:27 AM

12,817 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Portland Maine has "those people" in it, if you know what I mean, and I think you do. I'd imagine Burlington does, too. Portland is probably one of the least white places north of Boston.
Well, no city over 10,000 is going to be 100% white. Burlington is 95% white. Portland, ME is 85% white. Those are city proper numbers. The surrounding suburbs are all lilly white (the Portland Metro Area is over 96% White). It's not a diverse area by any stretch. For urban areas, those places are extremely white. Lowell, Lawrence, Haverhill, Nashua, Salem, and Lynn are all north of Boston and "less white" than Portland. Northern New England is the whitest region in the entire U.S., so the fact that Portland is the second most diverse city in Maine, NH, and Vermont (Nashua NH is the most), isn't saying much.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:01 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Makawao, Maui, Hawaii. Except it's a Whole Foods, not a Trader Joe's (yet).

It's upcountry away from tsunami danger.
Good choice, though its population is only about 7,000. However, Kahului and Wailuku aren't too far away, so maybe that'll make up for it.

I was going to suggest Hilo, mainly for the population and the basically zero percent chance of there ever being a drought there. However, the lack of sunny days could be a problem. Also, there's the natural disaster problem, though this risk can be mitigated by a careful study of tsunami inundation maps and lava flow maps. Not to mention, I don't think they have a Trader Joe's either.

If the "non-caucasian demographic" happens to be Native Hawaiian or Asian, I would just forget about Hawaii altogether.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:21 PM

360 posts, read 811,702 times
Quote:
I think you need to find a better therapist.

"Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

"Well, don't do that!"
This.
In spades.

What type of 21st century "therapist" would suggest moving to a city where there are no minorities (or not many) as being a logical solution to a problem? That statement alone would make most people reconsider the person's qualifications and advice.

Anyway, bad news OP: There are no places with a temperate climate and few or no minorities. Even places with intemperate climates (the Dakotas being a slight exception) have minorities dispersed throughout them. They also have Caucasian (actually EUropean descent or White might be more accurate as true Caucasians from Central Asia strongly resemble Arabs or Afghans) criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.