Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 03:01 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times

Advertisements

I mean, besides using cardinal directions. From where I am in Maryland, I would say that I'm going "up" (north) to New York, "down" (south) to Florida, "out" (west) to California, and when traveling west to east, "back" (east) to Maryland.

Is this something that's just East Coast-centric, or do other people in other places also use those terms to describe directional orientation of travel relative to where they're from?

Also, a transcontinental highway running east to west is said to "cross" the country. Is there an equivalent term for a highway that spans the length of the country from north to south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 03:13 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
I say going up when I'm going north and going down when I'm going south. Though I say going "out" to mean east or west.

I'm going up to Seattle
I'm going down to LA
I'm going out to the coast.

Though I'll say going "up" to refer to going to the mountains.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:26 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
I try not to "go up" north as this state is far enough up as it is. Though my wife works "up" in DE which is only about 10 miles above me.

I just took a drive "down" to FL and drove "back" home to MD yesterday.

Next year I would like to take a "cross" country drive and head "out" west, but since it would be in the winter it would be the southern route. I'll probably head "over" to the mountains of NC/TN and head down to the gulf from there before heading west since I have covered the coastal area from here on down extensively.

This weekend I might head on over to WaRshington (DC) for a day.

I'd like to go "up" to Alaska one day but the season which to go, summer, is our season "over" here so that's work time for me.

As far as a term for a north/south route. I consider 95 that f^(#ing highway that goes up and down the east coast.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
North = Tornado alley
East = N'Awlins and Florida
West = a desert and Cali
South = eww

Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
everything is relative to where I happen to be at the time, if I'm in my yard and someone asks me "where do you live" I'll point towards the ground and say "well, right here". If they ask where the cattle rendering plant is, I'll point off in the distance and say over there where that smell is coming from. A broad wave of the arm and some muttering about "city folk" usually suffices with anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.