Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:20 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I know that Utopia and Nirvana exist only in our imaginations, but I've been wondering if there is any place that would have all of what I'm looking for:

- An upper-middle income suburb within reasonable commuting distance of a major city, preferably with public transportation available between suburb and city.

- Politically conservative, or at least not excessively liberal. (Ideally, this would apply statewide; but at least at the city or county level.)

- A decent Evangelical Christian presence.

- Unlike apparently everyone else on C-D, I actually like chain stores. Wherever I live would need to have a Target for shopping, a Chick-fil-A for fast food, and some kind of sit-down Italian (e.g. Olive Garden) and Mexican (e.g. On the Border). Qdoba and Noodles & Company (or their equivalents) would be highly preferable as well.

- A respectably sized Asian population. My kids were adopted from South Korea, so wherever I live, I would want it to be in a place where they are not the only ones of "their kind" in the area. Having other adoptive families in the area would also be desirable.

- Some climate variation would be good, but not to the extremes. I'd like some snow in the winter, but not a lot; some heat in the summer, but not a lot. Some rain would be good, but not a deluge.

- And, like everyone else, I'd like good schools and low crime.

Places I have in mind that have at least some of these attributes include:

- Ellicott City, MD (near Baltimore)
This is where I live now, and I realize that it has most (though not all) of what I'm looking for. And yes, I am generally happy living here. So while I may always have the "grass is greener" mentality, I'm OK with being told that my best bet is to stay put.

- Castle Rock, CO (near Denver)
- South Jordan, UT (near Salt Lake City)
- Plano, TX (near Dallas) (this is the only one on this list that I haven't actually visited already)
- Edmond, OK (near Oklahoma City)
- Overland Park, KS (near Kansas City)

Can anyone point me to one of these places as the best bet, or perhaps someplace else that I haven't thought of? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Ft. Lee NJ, across the river from Manhattan, might be another place to look.

It has a large and noticable Korean population (the town is about 1/3 Asian), strong schools, safe streets, the moderate four season weather typical of the NYC metro, and a quick drive, and in some cases even a quick walk, to many big box strores and chain eateries.

There is a wide range of desirable middle and upper-middle housing both in single family homes and the many newer condos lining the Hudson.

The city, like New Jersey generally, tilts Democratic (Chris Christie notwithstanding) but is defintely non-ideological in tone and practice. It's pretty moderate and accepting. There are few, if any, of your rabid "San Francisco" Democrats.

Access to Manhattan by car or bus is simple, as this is the NJ town where the George Washington Bridge empties out from Manhattan. You can even walk across the bridge to Manhattan in good weather, and many people do. Don't know about evangelical Christian churches in the area, but I'm sure they exist. And they certainly do in NYC, where one could easily drive in on a Sunday morning.

Last edited by citylove101; 04-03-2014 at 11:15 AM..

Old 04-03-2014, 11:12 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Blue Bell PA (and surroundings) in the Philadelphia suburbs A large evangelical Korean population

Definitely upper middle class suburbs

On weather extremes to me the summer is more extreme than is the winter here (well this winter was an anomaly)

Old 04-03-2014, 11:42 AM

370 posts, read 862,987 times
Plano, Texas fits the bill the best, imho. Plano's asian population is 20%-25% in some parts.

Utah and Colorado will have a much,much smaller asian population. I assume the same for Kansas and Oklahoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Hi everyone,

I know that Utopia and Nirvana exist only in our imaginations, but I've been wondering if there is any place that would have all of what I'm looking for:

- An upper-middle income suburb within reasonable commuting distance of a major city, preferably with public transportation available between suburb and city.

- Politically conservative, or at least not excessively liberal. (Ideally, this would apply statewide; but at least at the city or county level.)

- A decent Evangelical Christian presence.

- Unlike apparently everyone else on C-D, I actually like chain stores. Wherever I live would need to have a Target for shopping, a Chick-fil-A for fast food, and some kind of sit-down Italian (e.g. Olive Garden) and Mexican (e.g. On the Border). Qdoba and Noodles & Company (or their equivalents) would be highly preferable as well.

- A respectably sized Asian population. My kids were adopted from South Korea, so wherever I live, I would want it to be in a place where they are not the only ones of "their kind" in the area. Having other adoptive families in the area would also be desirable.

- Some climate variation would be good, but not to the extremes. I'd like some snow in the winter, but not a lot; some heat in the summer, but not a lot. Some rain would be good, but not a deluge.

- And, like everyone else, I'd like good schools and low crime.

Places I have in mind that have at least some of these attributes include:

- Ellicott City, MD (near Baltimore)
This is where I live now, and I realize that it has most (though not all) of what I'm looking for. And yes, I am generally happy living here. So while I may always have the "grass is greener" mentality, I'm OK with being told that my best bet is to stay put.

- Castle Rock, CO (near Denver)
- South Jordan, UT (near Salt Lake City)
- Plano, TX (near Dallas) (this is the only one on this list that I haven't actually visited already)
- Edmond, OK (near Oklahoma City)
- Overland Park, KS (near Kansas City)

Can anyone point me to one of these places as the best bet, or perhaps someplace else that I haven't thought of? Thanks!

Old 04-03-2014, 11:45 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Haltom City, TX (as Plano in the DFW foot print).

Old 04-03-2014, 02:18 PM

93,302 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Duluth GA may be another good choice, as the city is about 22-23% Asian and 43% of that population is Korean. Almost 10% of that city is Korean, if not more so. Georgia Korean Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

Duluth, GA Population and Races

Duluth, GA

This would work in terms of shopping too: Gwinnett Place Mall

Also, the surrounding communities also have a relatively high Korean population as well.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:36 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
ckhtankgod
We have family in Duluth, GA. A growing Hispanic population has been moving in. I am not sure if OP is looking for a Korean "town" which part of Duluth is or some diversity.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:47 PM

93,302 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
ckhtankgod
We have family in Duluth, GA. A growing Hispanic population has been moving in. I am not sure if OP is looking for a Korean "town" which part of Duluth is or some diversity.
Good point.....It just came to mind and may still work, but it didn't seem to be a major point.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:00 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Orange County, CA comes to mind, although seasonal variation is not exactly Southern California's strong point.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 PM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
San Marino, CA
South Pasadena, CA
La Crescenta, CA (now heavily Korean-American)
La Canada Flintridge, CA
Pleasanton, CA
San Ramon, CA
Danville, CA
Lafayette, CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.