Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,401 times

Advertisements

i don't understand the thing about orlando. i should check it out for myself. with disney and all the theme parks, i would assume it would be a happy place, lots of different people and tourists spending a lot of money etc. a lot of people are not happy with that place. hmm..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 01:24 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
San Diego and most parts of Manhattan the people are relatively upbeat and happy. Same with San Antonio TX, Santa Barbara CA, when I was there.

Buffalo/Rochester/Utica/Rome NY gets my vote for the most disgruntled, salty, and unfriendly folks around. Folks from Boston and Providence aren't a very friendly bunch either. Jacksonville FL, and several cities in Ohio, Indiana and Illinois can be crusty too. Just speaking from my own experience.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:26 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Miami has a preponderance of sun, but if you visit their boards, you would think that they are the most miserable people in the U.S.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:32 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times
Happiest: Richmond, Savannah, Nashville

Unhappiest: DC, Baltimore, Atlanta, Charlotte.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:29 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
i don't understand the thing about orlando. i should check it out for myself. with disney and all the theme parks, i would assume it would be a happy place, lots of different people and tourists spending a lot of money etc. a lot of people are not happy with that place. hmm..
A lot of people complain about Orlando because their mentality is that there are no high paying jobs, the downtown is sleepy, it does not feel like a real city. Some dislike thinks that are distinctly Florida like the climate, the bugs and animals. It is a town with several very wide, overly trafficked highways and thoroughfares throughout town. It is not a great place for pedestrians for this reason. There is a lot of crime and people come from all over the country and in some instances world to live here and do not have a lot of appreciation for what at outsider would view as a great place to live due to endless entertainment and recreation opportunity. I enjoy Orlando a lot and know a lot of "hidden" treasures that only the locals really know about in some very cool urban areas. I think it is a very rewarding area to live in and I guess it is as they say "to each their own". I am in a safe established areas with more homes than strip malls and a much quieter main thoroughfare. People need to do their research and visit before they move here and they should be perfectly fine. Your experience in Orlando can differ a lot based on where you buy into or live in the metro. I think this applies to many US cities and metros, but is especially true of Orlando.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:41 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,679,510 times
happy: la/san diego..moving to long beach from living in SF and Sacramento is a big different and people here are definitely happy..its febuary and i took a 6 mile walk on the beach yesterday as the sun set in shorts and a tee shirt.

disgruntled: detroit/nyc..i always felt an unhappy/disgruntled vibe when i lived in nyc.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:14 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
If I lived in a place where it's always sunny and the people are always pleasant, it would drive me insane. I would feel like the entire world around me were phony. I need a dose of cold, hard, rude, realism every once in a while. Happiness doesn't exist in a vacuum. If you're never down, you never appreciate being up.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Same with Scranton, PA. Just check out DohertyDeceit.com. The writing is on the wall around them that the Electric City is on the verge of a major recovery, yet most residents continue to have a victimized and pessimistic outlook about their city's future.
Sounds a lot like Little Rock. People here are very pessimistic about this town and there is a HUGE inferiority complex here. Most of the transplants come here when their jobs bring them and then do nothing but complain about it. There is a very anti-growth attitude among many of the natives and an irrational fear of urban areas. There is a lot of potential here but as long as talent keeps being sucked away to the nearest big cities (Dallas and Memphis) that will never be realized.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:16 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Haven't really seen a disgruntled city. Just visitors that attract a cold shoulder or hostility because they don't know how to act in certain places. Maybe some disgruntled neighborhoods though.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:37 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
Try walking around in a mickey mouse costume for 8 hours, and tell me that you'd be whistling dixie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.