Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:14 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
South Carolina is a state where the malls are spread throughout the state, and there's few upscale ones. The Charleston area only has two enclosed malls (both owned by the same owner), and one is dying.

There are no A malls in this state. For a choice of the stores like what most of the members are talking about, you have to go to Charlotte (SouthPark Mall) or one of the numerous malls in Atlanta (Phipps, Lenox, Mall of Georgia, Kennesaw). Downtown Charleston has a few like J. Crew, Forever 21, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and others. Generally, that is the area where the most high-end shopping is in the state.

Northwoods Mall in North Charleston is a mid or low B mall. It is a early 70s mall which is very tight, with small anchors. However, it is the only enclosed shopping mall for the fast-growing Summerville, Goose Creek, Moncks Corner and North Charleston area, and is always packed because of that. It averaged almost $340/square foot in sales in 2012.

It has Sears, JCPenney, Dillard's, and Belk, basically middle-of-the-road anchors for this area. It also has a Books-a-Million and a rare Chick-fil-A not in a food court. It is probably 90-95% leased, and anchors the largest shopping strip in SC, Rivers Avenue.

Citadel Mall, OTOH, is a dying mall. Probably a C or less. Was foreclosed a year or two ago. Used to be one of the most happening places in the market (with every storefront filled less than 10 years ago), but the anchors went down, the bubble burst, and several neighborhoods surrounding the mall became crime-ridden.

It still has Target, Belk, JCPenney, and a crowded movie theater, but little else. Probably 50% of the storefronts are empty, and most of those filled are by either local merchants or urbanwear stores.

Northwoods was renovated a few years back, but Citadel Mall still has the same entrances it had when the mall opened in the early 80s.

Haywood in Greenville, Columbiana in Columbia, and Coastal Grande in Myrtle Beach are probably the only other B malls in the state. Haywood is the only other place in the state besides downtown Charleston that has the Apple Store. Every other mall is a C or less.
Interesting. Yet another similarity that Charleston and Savannah share, two enclosed malls. My impression is that Oglethrope Mall in midtown Savannah is better than either Charleston malls, though it has a similar anchor lineup as Northwoods -- Belk, Sears, JCPenney and Macy's. The other major mall in Savannah, 5 miles down the street, is Savannah Mall, which opened in 1990 as an uber-luxury mall anchored by Parisian, Belk and J.B. Whites, but is now anchored by Dillard's, Target, Bass Pro, Burlington Coat Factory and Virginia College.

Both Savannah malls have nice and busy food courts, Savannah Mall even featuring a carousel. Savannah Mall also features two multiplex movie theaters behind the mall, which brings in lots of traffic, as well as the second-largest public library branch in the Savannah system. A branch of Toby Keith's "I Love This Bar and Grill" (a country-western style version of Dave & Busters) is under construction inside Savannah Mall, as well an indoor go-cart track. The mall owners are re-positioning Savannah Mall as an entertainment destination, though it still has several national retailers unique to the market -- such as Victoria Secret Pink.

The other side of the Savannah retail story is the renaissance taking place downtown. Atlanta mall developer Ben Carter is spending $75 million to purchase, renovate and lease 25-plus storefronts on historic Broughton Street to national tenants like H&M, Anne Taylor, Sephora, J. Crew, Abercrombie, Louis Vuitton and Godiva. These join retailers already on the street like Gap, Banana Republic, Kate Spade, Marc Jacobs, Walking Company, etc. Like Charleston, the retail focus of Savannah is shifting away from suburban malls back to downtown, and it remains to be seen what impact this is going to have on the overall market.

The other equation in the Savannah Metro is the booming retail growth taking place in Pooler, on I-95 near the Savannah Airport. An upscale outlet mall is currently under construction, and numerous big-box retailers have opened along the Pooler Parkway corridor in recent months. Sometime this summer, an announcement is expected to be made about a large outdoor lifestyle center project in Pooler that will include mainline department stores like Dillard's, Belk and Kohl's, as well as Target and other big-box chains.

Savannah's retail scene is changing and expanding very rapidly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 AM

846 posts, read 1,796,758 times
Yep. Savannah has Macy's though, while Charleston and Myrtle Beach do not. I don't think Wilmington does either. Macy's closed down there and became a Belk. Jax doesn't have one either. Those are the only 4 metros I believe on the East Coast without one.

Charleston also has Towne Centre in Mt. Pleasant, which basically serves as Mt. Pleasant's mall even though it is not enclosed. It is a B mall with some A stores. It is almost always packed during the holidays and other times of year when shopping is big.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:43 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Really? I would classify most of those as B level malls. Tysons, Annapolis, Columbia and probably Pentagon City are about the only really good high end malls in the DC area.
Class A:

Tysons Corner Center/ Tysons Galleria (2 separate malls across the street from another)

Pentagon City

Annapolis Mall

Arundel Mills

Montgomery Mall

Columbia Mall

Towson Town Center

Potomac Mills

White Marsh Mall

Mazza Gallerie (by OP definition possible Tier A)

I'm going by CSA here, Towson Town Center is definitely a Class A mall without question as it competes with Annapolis for best mall in the state of MD. White Marsh (Not White Flint if that's what your thinking of) by definition of the OP is also Class A especially when considering what's inside and it's immediate surroundings in the town center next to it. Mazze Galleria is anchored by Neiman Marcus and Saks 5th Men's store with a Bloomingdales directly across the street also a Cheesecake Factory and Maggianos on the other side of the street. Not to mention all the high end shops one block away up Wisconsin Ave, so yes Class A also. The only two you could argue are not Class A are the "Mills" malls with Arundel and Potomac, but they are so large and in the case of Arundel have amenities around it surrounded by entertainment. Although the level of "shopping" may not be necessarily "Class A" materials.

Last edited by the resident09; 06-08-2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-08-2014, 03:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
There are so many malls in New Jersey I'm not even going to try. Short Hills Mall and Garden State Plaza are definitely Class A malls, though, to name 2. Menlo Park Mall would probably also fall into Class A.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:56 PM

12 posts, read 23,295 times
Like Jerseygril415 said there are so many mall in Jersey. I will just stick to do doing the
Class A malls in North and Central Jersey.

1. Garden State Plaza in Paramus- Largest retail mall in profit and size in NJ. Many people from New York and foreigners shop at this mall. The mall has many high-end stores and restaurants.

2. Jersey Gardens in Elizabeth- While it may not be as high end as other malls on the list, this mall gets a lot of international tourist that come from the city or Newark Airport to shop. It started out as an outlet mall but it is transitioning to a regular mall now.

3. Short Hills in Short Hills- A large upscale mall similar to Garden State Plaza but smaller and more high-end.

4. Menlo Park in Edison- I wouldn’t have put this mall on the list 8 years ago but they remodeled and improved the store types. The addition to stores such as H&M and Uniqlo make it a big draw because these stores are not yet in other area malls. Also, they a great dine in theater!

5. Willowbrook Mall in Wayne- Just like Menlo I would have not put this mall on the list in the past. However, over the past 5 years the mall has added more high-end eateries and stores. Plus when the malls are closed in Bergen County this is the place to go on Sunday.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:07 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Woodfield is nice but what about Oak Brook Center, Yorktown, Water Tower Place, Gurnee Mills, or Chicago Premium Outlets Aurora?
Woodfield was one of the super regional malls created in the 70's by Taubman centers. It is almost a carbon copy of Fairlane in the Detroit area. I would think any shopping center in Chicago is overshadowed by Michigan Ave.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:15 PM

186 posts, read 475,033 times
I will list the malls (indoor and outdoor) I am familiar with in the Bay Area [there are a lot of am leaving out because there are just so many]

A.
Westfield San Francisco Centre
Westfield Valley Fair
Stoneridge Mall
Santana Row
The Village at Corte Madera
Broadway Plaza
Stonestown Galleria
Stanford Shopping Center

B.
The Streets of Brentwood
Westfield Oakridge Mall
SunValley Mall
Eastridge Mall
North gate
Great Mall
Solano Mall
Serramonte Mall
Bay Street

C
Hill Top
Antioch Mall
Southland Mall
New Park Mall
Bay Fair

Outlets:
Gilroy
Napa
Livermore

Old 06-08-2014, 09:28 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomike122 View Post
Like Jerseygril415 said there are so many mall in Jersey. I will just stick to do doing the
Class A malls in North and Central Jersey.

1. Garden State Plaza in Paramus- Largest retail mall in profit and size in NJ. Many people from New York and foreigners shop at this mall. The mall has many high-end stores and restaurants.

2. Jersey Gardens in Elizabeth- While it may not be as high end as other malls on the list, this mall gets a lot of international tourist that come from the city or Newark Airport to shop. It started out as an outlet mall but it is transitioning to a regular mall now.

3. Short Hills in Short Hills- A large upscale mall similar to Garden State Plaza but smaller and more high-end.

4. Menlo Park in Edison- I wouldn’t have put this mall on the list 8 years ago but they remodeled and improved the store types. The addition to stores such as H&M and Uniqlo make it a big draw because these stores are not yet in other area malls. Also, they a great dine in theater!

5. Willowbrook Mall in Wayne- Just like Menlo I would have not put this mall on the list in the past. However, over the past 5 years the mall has added more high-end eateries and stores. Plus when the malls are closed in Bergen County this is the place to go on Sunday.
I'd replace Jersey Gardens with Riverside Square or Bridgewater Commons on your list. JG is big and it's very busy, but it's full of outlets and definitely seems to meet the "blue collar" criterion for Class B. Riverside and Bridgewater have higher-end tenants, and are quite nice (for suburban malls ).

Old 06-09-2014, 06:43 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
What about Bowie Town Center, Reston Town Center, or that large mall in Hunt Valley?
I was more or less considering the enclosed malls, is the Hunt Valley one indoor, I've never been there?

Old 06-09-2014, 06:56 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
For the Twin Cities

A
Har Mar Mall.

Who cares about the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.