Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 11:55 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I guess that's true, and it's probably due to the fact that Southern VA has very little to draw North Carolinians in. There are some pretty mountain spots, but those exist in NC, too. I'd imagine that someone from Southern VA probably feels more connected to NC than North Carolinians feel connected to VA.

The only exception I can think of is the Outer Banks, especially the northern stretch. SO FAR from most of NC and much more convenient to the Hampton Roads area than it is to NC cities.
That's kind of what I've been discussing in a few other threads. North Carolina and Virginia are similar states, and I'd say the Triangle and Triad are more similar to VA metros (NOVA, Richmond) than SC metros (Upstate, Columbia). However, there isn't a ton of interaction between the two states. Around the Triangle, it's not very common for people to visit Richmond even though it's 2 and a half hours which isn't horrible. I-85 between Durham, NC and Petersburg, VA is pretty remote and doesn't seem to be terribly busy when I drive on it. Southern VA is quite rural, so I imagine all the VA license plates I see around the Triangle are either college students (attending UNC-Chapel Hill, NC State, or Duke) or people from southern VA from counties like Halifax, Mecklenburg, Charlotte, Lunenburg, and possibly Pittsylvania and Brunswick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 12:05 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
I've explored Virginia much more thoroughly than South Carolina, so take that however you will. Williamsburg, Charlottesville, and Shenandoah Nat'l Park were pretty cool. Mt Rogers is a personal favorite of mine. Though mainly it's because VA is on the way to DC, and usually when I stayed in DC I stayed in NoVA.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:43 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I guess that's true, and it's probably due to the fact that Southern VA has very little to draw North Carolinians in. There are some pretty mountain spots, but those exist in NC, too. I'd imagine that someone from Southern VA probably feels more connected to NC than North Carolinians feel connected to VA.

The only exception I can think of is the Outer Banks, especially the northern stretch. SO FAR from most of NC and much more convenient to the Hampton Roads area than it is to NC cities.
Agreed on both fronts.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:14 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Some of the post on this thread are just outright idiotic. Both Virginia and North Carolina are southern states. Maryland and Delaware are "The North"..lol.

I have family in the Hampton Roads area, and I don't consider that particular area to be "Southern", but you don't have to travel far from the metro area to places like Franklin, New Kent, Southampton County, Emporia, Smithfield where its obvious your in the South.

Also some of yall need to realize that its 2014, not 1914 nor 1814.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:18 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
They're both southern. Only part of Virginia that isn't southern in the northern part. But VA is more souuthern than Florida overall.
That would make for an interesting poll. Which is more southern between Virginia and Florida.

By the Civil War times Florida was the third state to secede, following South Carolina as first and Mississippi as second. The Florida Panhandle might as well be Alabama, and everything east of that still smells like Georgia. Central Florida outside of Orlando is also pretty country.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:39 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
The border between VA and NC would have some things in common, and since the Carolinas are basically two parts of one state, they would have more in common with each other before other states.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:34 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
The border between VA and NC would have some things in common, and since the Carolinas are basically two parts of one state, they would have more in common with each other before other states.
They aren't "two parts of one state." Though originally both part of the "Province of Carolina," they began to pull apart in the late 1600s and were fully separate colonies by 1729, long before most states were even founded. That's like saying that Montana and Louisiana are "basically two parts of one state" because they were both acquired in the Louisiana Purchase.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:46 AM

^ ok, what I really meant was they share the same name, so thanks for correcting me. I wonder what happened to make them want to separate.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:18 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ ok, what I really meant was they share the same name, so thanks for correcting me. I wonder what happened to make them want to separate.
The Carolinas were originally "owned" by eight guys: The Lords Proprietors. They had a variety of disagreements which pushed the two areas apart. A lot of it had to do with the fact that SC was much more into the sort of large scale plantation agriculture that fed mercantilism, and they had deep navigable rivers that could bring ships fairly far inland to load up goods for export. North Carolina didn't have nearly as many, and large scale plantation agriculture never took hold there like it did in SC and VA. Forest products like pitch and tar were a bigger deal in NC. The Lords Proprietors also had disagreements over defense, as relations with the natives were strained.

Eventually the proprietors sold their stakes back to the English Crown, and the provinces became official colonies. SC was more populous and more economically important at the time, and had been effectively governed as a Crown Colony for several years before the remaining proprietors in NC sold out. For that and many other reasons, it made sense to split the province into two separate colonies. At the time, SC arguably had more in common with Virginia or Georgia than they did with North Carolina, particularly since commerce and population centers were still clustered on the coast.

Enough history for one day?

Old 09-22-2014, 12:21 PM

^ yes, thanks a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.