Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 04:06 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,517,478 times

Advertisements

North Carolina yes

Virginia no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 PM

799 posts, read 1,418,808 times
Explain please

Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 PM

605 posts, read 798,598 times
I think everyone, no matter the location, considers these two states Southern.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,260,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I believe this part of the quote is true as far as how the deep south relates to Virginia. Despite what is posted on CD, many people I have met from the deep south consider natives of Hampton Roads/Nova/Richmond as being more east coast than southern. There are many people from NC which I have met in the Hampton Roads area who believe that Hampton Road is not southern, while North Carolina is the true south. I have noticed that the stereotypical southern accents tend to be more pronounced in North Carolina than in Virginia. Virginia's traditional piedmont and tidewater accents always had more of an aristocrat sound, as opposed to the stereotypical southern drawls in most of the other southern states. I believe Virginia is the true definition of a southern mid atlantic state (this information is also posted on the official Virginia website). Geographically, many of Virginia's urban areas are closer to the Bos-Wash Corridor cities compared to the major southern metros. For example, from Norfolk, it takes approximately six hours to drive to Charlotte, NC and nine and a half hours to drive to Atlanta, GA. Conversely, it would take the same person, to travel from Norfolk, three hours to drive to DC, four hours to arrive at Baltimore, five hours to drive to Baltimore, and six and a half hours to drive to NYC.
To an extent I get this. But what about South Hampton, Emporia, South Hill, Danville, Lynchburg, and Roanoke to name a few? Are these Virginian cities more Mid Atlantic or Southern? I think in speaking as a whole Virginia is decidedly southern. Perhaps it has changed since my college days but Hampton Roads felt Southern to me, same with the native accents, which is what it sounds like you're alluding to as well.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:05 AM

110 posts, read 146,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
North Carolina yes

Virginia no
huh?

Old 04-11-2014, 10:25 AM

110 posts, read 146,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I believe this part of the quote is true as far as how the deep south relates to Virginia. Despite what is posted on CD, many people I have met from the deep south consider natives of Hampton Roads/Nova/Richmond as being more east coast than southern. There are many people from NC which I have met in the Hampton Roads area who believe that Hampton Road is not southern, while North Carolina is the true south. I have noticed that the stereotypical southern accents tend to be more pronounced in North Carolina than in Virginia. Virginia's traditional piedmont and tidewater accents always had more of an aristocrat sound, as opposed to the stereotypical southern drawls in most of the other southern states. I believe Virginia is the true definition of a southern mid atlantic state (this information is also posted on the official Virginia website). Geographically, many of Virginia's urban areas are closer to the Bos-Wash Corridor cities compared to the major southern metros. For example, from Norfolk, it takes approximately six hours to drive to Charlotte, NC and nine and a half hours to drive to Atlanta, GA. Conversely, it would take the same person, to travel from Norfolk, three hours to drive to DC, four hours to arrive at Baltimore, five hours to drive to Baltimore, and six and a half hours to drive to NYC.
I don't know, I always thought of VA is fairly southern feeling. Now...I do the majority of my work in the parts of the state that would probably be considered more southern like Lynchburg, Danville, Bristol, and Roanoke. I don't have a lot of clients in NOVA or Hampton Roads which would probably be considered the areas that are least southern by virtue of the military/government presence and transplants associated with it. I do occasionally have work going on in Richmond but it even has a southern feeling to me once you get away from the hipsters in the Fan. The area in VA that I spend most of my time in is what would probably be defined as the Appalachian area in VA.Now, i'm not versed enough on the variations in southern culture to split up the differences between a more traditional "southern" culture or "appalachian" culture but regardless.....they both feel fairly comparable to me as far as the people are concerned.

With regards to your last point regarding geography...I don't know if I agree necessarily. You've picked Norfolk...the most geographically eastern city in the state and compared it to other cities in the South as to imply it's location makes the state less culturally "The South." Yes, Nofolk may be 9 hours from Atlanta...but Danville is 2 hours from Charlotte. Norfolk is right beside the Outer Banks of NC. Bristol, VA is around 4 hours from Atlanta and only 2 from Knoxville. Further...Norfolk is closer to Raleigh than it is to DC. So, the geography of a random city doesn't denote anything culturally IMO.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:50 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,909,881 times
Virginia and North Carolina is Southern to everyone in this country except for a few on this forum.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,454,530 times
North Carolina and Virginia are definitely southern, they have always been and always will be. A few outside transplants in some of the urban areas won't affect the whole states overall. Hell, there are a ton of transplants in Atlanta so does that make the whole state of Georgia not culturally southern? Also, people need to brush up on their history. Both Virginia and North Carolina were obviously Confederate states. Any former Confederate states will always maintain southern aspects.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:39 PM

867 posts, read 1,388,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Are you hearing these sentiments mainly from folks in the rural areas of those Deep South states? If so, it may have to do with the fact that both NC and VA went blue in '08 and VA remained so in the last election.

As to the point made earlier about Atlanta's sphere of influence relative to NC, that mostly includes Charlotte and western NC. The Triad is where DC's influence begins to be felt since that area is roughly equidistant between Atlanta and DC. The Triangle and eastern NC are within DC's sphere of influence. And while NC has more connections with SC, it shares more characteristics with VA.
Now this I can understand...sphere of influence, which is probably why some people in some parts of NC say that their region is more Mid Atlantic, possibly because of what they relate to. Who would you say this effects the most blacks or whites or both? What kinda characteristics? As far as going blue...Virginia will vote for whoever makes the most sense to us ...not because people particularly love a specific party. Just look at Cuccinelli and Mc Auliffe its not that people like Mc Auliffe they just DISLIKE Cuccinelli so Mc Auliffe wins by default if he can promise to give a nod to some pet projects in republican strongholds like say VA Beach. With Cuccinelli we would be going backwards like NC. VA is about money/gov/politics and law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
To 757:

Nothing in that Wiki link is not true other than the fact that you just can't accept the fact that you're slightly out of touch with reality on this one. Also, as I stated, VA is a mid-Atlantic state...Southern mid Atlantic I may add. The bottom line is NOVA south VA is VERY southern.

You might want to further your knowledge in history because "new south" was around well before Atlanta started rapidly growing in the 90's. The south was viewed a rural "country" region (old south)...Cities such as (Atlanta, Charlotte, Richmond) and several others have been coined (new south) because of the economic impact and progressive behaviors while still being located in the south. Furthermore, you will even some people say that Richmond feels more much southern than both Atlanta and Charlotte (which is does).

In 1990, Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia all had 6-6.6 million people....

In 2013....Georgia and NC is basically at 10 million while Virginia is at 8 million..

I'm sure it's a safe bet to say that more transplants live in GA and NC than VA but it doesn't mean they're not southern because they are along with VA...You even have people from VA admitting it. So why are you trying to deny it?
What are you going on about? If you spent more time reading what is written instead of trynna yip yap then you would realize Im not out of touch with squat...you might be though. For instance, when did you "state" the bolded part above?...but Im "out of touch with reality?" Riiiight. Look, chill with your insults to yo I didn't insult you... you don't want me to start insulting you. Accept what? NOVA what? What?

Further my knowledge? You cant even pay attention yet you trynna tell ME something. I don't care how the South was "viewed" its a big azz area that had cities long ago. Atlanta and Charlotte aren't all that Old South either...that is one reason why the "New South" was intially promoted from ATLANTA as it began to surpass Savannah (which is old in prominence as you can tell from its historic DT). Baltimore strangely enough was also of the mind of promoting "New South" but of course everyone will get butthurt if you make that connection with precious Maryland. In any event the term was dusted off for a more popular use once AGAIN by ATLANTA in the mid 90s as it began to become the Atlanta that people see today. That is THEIR thing, Im sure BMore wants no parts of it now though, huh? Northeastern now though huh? Whateva...VIRGINIA at this same time 80s/90s was already marketing itself as Mid Atlantic and "Tidewater" switched to "Hampton Roads" formally... PA was still just the Northeast and Maryland outside of Delmarva was confused, which is why the term Mid Alantic is very popular NOW and wasnt then. Chjncoteague/Wallops Island, VA is not urban whatsoever but M.A.R.S. is the Mid Atlantic Regional Spaceport...not New South Spaceport this is what Im talking about...The Commonwealth will classify itself from its OWN perspective. I never said Virginia wasn't "southern" but that doesn't mean it is not also the Mid Atlantic, genius. I don't need no history lesson from you, you cant even pay attention. Oh yeah and Im sure if those people actually drove around Oregon Hill, Union Hill,The Fan, etc... and concluded Richmond was more "southern" than ATL/CLT then they were high or lying to themselves.

As for the rest of that gibberish...I have no idea what your point is, if there is one it is probably immaterial. Population transplant what? People from VA admitting what? Deny what?WTH you are talking about...do YOU know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I grew up in Virginia, and have met several people from Deep South states and Texas who tell me Virginia is not in the South. I have no idea on what they base this opinion, but I wholeheartedly disagree with them.
For the same reason you say "Deep South states and Texas" is TX not the Deep South? Its all perspective.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 04-11-2014 at 08:53 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 08:42 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,454,530 times
As for NC, I can take some of these people from the Deep South to the countless numbers of Bojangles (which originated in Charlotte) we have in NC and then they can tell me it's not culturally southern. Or, the NC State Fair in Raleigh and a NASCAR race down in the Charlotte area. I wonder if these people think NASCAR is southern, because guess what, NASCAR originated in North Carolina and to a lesser extent, Virginia. Or, all the countless BBQ restaurants. Why we're at it, why not watch a few episodes of the Andy Griffith Show? Please, NC is DEFINITELY southern.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 04-11-2014 at 09:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.