Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,501 times

Advertisements

Hello! Ive lived on LI my whole life and have started looking into purchasing my first home with my boyfriend. I'm a nurse with a good salary, and still feel as if we cant afford anything decent, which has sparked my interest in moving. I love LI, the proximity to the city, the ocean and the little towns with nice restaurants, shops, bars, etc. but I have to believe these things exist elsewhere without the high taxes, traffic and long winters. My only problem is where?! I have read posts on NC, SC, CA, etc but I'm still not quite sure which is right for me.

Ideally I would love to live on a tree lined street in a nice neighborhood with little coffee shops, restaurants and parks where a big city is within an hour distance away. I hate developments (I feel like charlotte is full of these). I would settle on being further from the ocean if there was a lake nearby. Good schools are necessary as well as high employment rates. I love watching house hunters and seeing all of the cute towns I just dont know which of them is right for me.

Anyone who has any advice or input, even if its to tell me to shut up and stay on LI, I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 12:53 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
In SC, maybe a place like Georgetown would be a good fit: Georgetown SC Restaurants | Tours | Shopping | Events | Guide

In VA, Williamsburg may be a good choice: Visit Williamsburg, VA | Official Vacation and Travel Guide to Williamsburg, Virginia

Old 04-08-2014, 12:57 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
In California: Davis, or if you need ocean, Ventura.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:32 PM

400 posts, read 793,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrine588 View Post
Hello! Ive lived on LI my whole life and have started looking into purchasing my first home with my boyfriend. I'm a nurse with a good salary, and still feel as if we cant afford anything decent, which has sparked my interest in moving. I love LI, the proximity to the city, the ocean and the little towns with nice restaurants, shops, bars, etc. but I have to believe these things exist elsewhere without the high taxes, traffic and long winters. My only problem is where?! I have read posts on NC, SC, CA, etc but I'm still not quite sure which is right for me.

Ideally I would love to live on a tree lined street in a nice neighborhood with little coffee shops, restaurants and parks where a big city is within an hour distance away. I hate developments (I feel like charlotte is full of these). I would settle on being further from the ocean if there was a lake nearby. Good schools are necessary as well as high employment rates. I love watching house hunters and seeing all of the cute towns I just dont know which of them is right for me.

Anyone who has any advice or input, even if its to tell me to shut up and stay on LI, I would appreciate it.

A friend of mine lives in Pineville, NC (just outside Charlotte). The homes there are beautiful. The prices are good and taxes are like nothing. I've never been to Charlotte's downtown, but I know that when I visited her, we went to some outdoor shopping malls about 10 minutes from her house that were very nice. If I wasn't so attached to NJ, I would probably move there.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:50 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Orange County is Long Island with Palm trees, Mountains and nicer weather.
Trust me, I used to live in Suffolk County (Sound Beach / Rocky Point)

You should do OK on a nurses salary. its a bit cheaper than Long Island

Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 PM

646 posts, read 926,107 times
Raleigh? CA is expensive.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:37 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
CA is expensive.
Surprisingly, using MoneyCNN's COL comparison, Sacramento (nearest comparison to Davis) has a lower COL than Nassau County, LI, and so does Los Angeles (nearest comparison to Ventura).

Old 04-08-2014, 03:50 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
Raleigh? CA is expensive.
No. It really isn't.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:16 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Shut up & stay on LI, lol. Main reason is I feel we are very spoiled here with what we have & moving elsewhere you might be disappointed. I went to college in NC for a bit and it was a huge culture shock! I moved back here as soon as i could and a lot people do. I guess if you dont expect much you wont be let down but for me, having NYC at my footstep is something i will never walk away from.

Also, grass isnt greener. Cheaper isnt better. Bigger isnt better. I can give you a zillion reasons why you shouldnt move as much as someone else will give you a zillion reasons you should. Ultimately it's up to you. Cheaper living also comes with lower salary and has other problems of its own.

Also, terrible idea to buy anything with a person you arent married to. If the relationship goes sour, it's huge deal trying to determine who gets what or someone buys out the other. Not a good scenario.

My 2 cents.

Anyway I hope you find something that suits you.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:30 PM

646 posts, read 926,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Surprisingly, using MoneyCNN's COL comparison, Sacramento (nearest comparison to Davis) has a lower COL than Nassau County, LI, and so does Los Angeles (nearest comparison to Ventura).
Sac is cheap, but the economy there is not that great. The ocean is also cold there. I'd think the OP would like warmer ocean, since she's from LI. LA is expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.