Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:25 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Putting Cleveland in the same breath as Gary, Mobile, Little Rock, and implying that the city is unattractive is laughable. These might be your perceptions, but they are far from reality. Cleveland in reality has quite a bit going for it. It is a major city with world class amenities, many things you can't find anywhere else, and many large billion dollar companies. It is nothing like the podunk towns you tried to liken it to. It may be seen as "unhip," but that is quickly changing. The city is on an upswing right now and has lots of momentum. A building boom is taking place throughout the city like nothing I've seen in my time. It's only a matter of time before the masses start catching on (people in the know already have).
When I say of Cleveland its unattractive and unhip I am speaking comparatively, not absolutely. Compared to San Francisco, Seattle, New York, Austin, DC, Boston, and a few other popular cities, it's perceived that way. And not by me, but by the many college grads who would sneer at the idea of living in Cleveland--or any of the other cities I listed.

In absolute terms of course there are wonderful things to see and do in Cleveland. But comparatively speaking it has that rep -- as do the other cities I mentioned. Maybe the masses, as you say, will eventually feel differently and stop referring to the place as The Mistake on the Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 AM

7 posts, read 7,174 times
What about Austin? My aunt and uncle moved near there a few years ago, and they really want me to visit.

Is it really expensive/hard to find jobs there?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnovember09 View Post
Ah wow, thanks for all the info!

From what that says, it looks like Minneapolis & Boston are creeping higher and higher on my list.
I'm from Minneapolis and I want to be back there someday again -- it's an amazing city and unabashedly it's my personal favorite -- but Boston also intrigues me and even though I haven't been there it's a city I can relate to in terms of both mine and my wife's needs: great culture, great parks, great schools/education, great healthcare, low(er) crime, walkable, urban, exciting, and diverse (in every aspect imaginable, not just race).

Both are great choices, and I also like the list you've built upon so far! You're on the right track I think in terms of finding where to place yourself.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:50 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Putting Cleveland in the same breath as Gary, Mobile, Little Rock, and implying that the city is unattractive is laughable. These might be your perceptions, but they are far from reality. Cleveland in reality has quite a bit going for it. It is a major city with world class amenities, many things you can't find anywhere else, and many large billion dollar companies. It is nothing like the podunk towns you tried to liken it to. It may be seen as "unhip," but that is quickly changing. The city is on an upswing right now and has lots of momentum. A building boom is taking place throughout the city like nothing I've seen in my lifetime. It's only a matter of time before the masses start catching on (people in the know already have).
Cleveland is actually also a great choice because it has almost everything you're looking for, yet far fewer people are (currently) scrambling to live and work here, so I suppose the competition may be a bit easier, IDK. On the flipside, the job market isn't exactly white-hot here, but it's good enough to land a starting position, and no worse than the average U.S. city.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 PM

233 posts, read 373,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Cleveland is actually also a great choice because it has almost everything you're looking for, yet far fewer people are (currently) scrambling to live and work here, so I suppose the competition may be a bit easier, IDK. On the flipside, the job market isn't exactly white-hot here, but it's good enough to land a starting position, and no worse than the average U.S. city.
I for one would be living there if my family was in the area. I did the Chicago thing, but honestly am one of the few that would prefer Cleveland over Chicago. It's all of the culture, and authentic type of feel that I like in a Midwestern city, without all of that overly world class international feeling. You guys have a good thing in Cleveland - people are just too near sited to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.