Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I didn't take your photos as condescending. I specifically bolded what I considered to be condescending in tone in your post. And I've done the same in your post above.
What about my photos? You haven't commented on them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 05:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What about my photos? You haven't commented on them!
Don't feel alone - I haven't commented on ANYONE'S photos!

Yours were lovely.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Who is trying to argue which is better besides you (re:your "more economically friendly" comment)? I made no such argument. I stated that they were not similar in any substantive way. You can't make an assertion that Texas is unique without trashing California? Are they so similar in your mind as to have no noteworthy differences? I've given you a couple of pages of differences from a California perspective without saying anything negative about Texas and once again, made no judgment as to which one is "better". I'm not sure where that part of your misdirection rant is coming from.

Funny how, Californians and people who know California well are saying how dissimilar they are. Yet, the usual Texas boosters are arguing either that they are similar, or that pointing out (obvious to nearly all, it seems) differences is somehow taking a cheap shot at Texas.

With each post, you seem to be coming around to the idea that they are not similar. You have gone from claiming they are, to saying I was "subliminally condescending," to saying it's about 50/50, to now saying they "share some similarities, but are very different with an attempt to divert this as some kind of "contest," where no contest was ever implied.

You're almost there. Maybe you need one more try to come all the way around?
I've said from the start that Texas and California share some similarities and have some striking differences as well. I haven't changed my stance one iota.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:27 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
OUCH...

Toyota to move jobs and marketing headquarters from Torrance to Texas - latimes.com

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dalebuss...nia-for-texas/

"A half-century ago, Toyota and other Japanese brands clustered in southern California when they began their assault on the U.S. market because California offered the single best market opportunity for Asian brands coming to America and because the state’s location closest to Japan made logistics easiest.

For most of the time since then, California’s justified reputation as America’s automotive, societal, cultural, and economic bellwether continued to ratify the Japanese brands’ focus there. Consider how Toyota was able to grow its Prius hybrid line into the segment’s dominant brand by starting with an emphasis in California.

But now Toyota and most of it Japanese rivals are treating North America like their domestic market — meaning that a California lens isn’t always the best one."

"Besides, California’s business climate is becoming an even bigger downer. California has become infamous with business executives and owners there not only for high tax rates and complex taxing schemes but also for overzealous regulations and regulators that have managed to stifle the entrepreneurial energy of thousands of companies.

Even Hollywood movie studios have been souring about producing flicks in California, increasingly reckoning that the sweet tax breaks and assistance packages now offered by so many other states offset the legacy advantages and ideal production climate in California.

About the only vast remaining pocket of dynamism in the California economy is Silicon Valley"

Old 04-28-2014, 12:58 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Congratulations Matt. I know people’s whose livelihoods are directly impacted by this. They’ve known for awhile. On their behalves, I want to take this opportunity to say: “thank you”, Matt. Because of your dogged insistence treating economic development, no matter of relevance or significance, with the same callous disregard as one would reserve the results of a baseball game in April, you have achieved your goal: you win the internet. Again, THANK YOU. Please take that in the spirit in which it’s intended.

Where was that store in CA where the clerk told you alcohol can be transported in a car only in the trunk?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:04 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
OUCH...

Toyota to move jobs and marketing headquarters from Torrance to Texas - latimes.com

It Makes Sense For Toyota To Leave California For Texas - Forbes

"A half-century ago, Toyota and other Japanese brands clustered in southern California when they began their assault on the U.S. market because California offered the single best market opportunity for Asian brands coming to America and because the state’s location closest to Japan made logistics easiest.

For most of the time since then, California’s justified reputation as America’s automotive, societal, cultural, and economic bellwether continued to ratify the Japanese brands’ focus there. Consider how Toyota was able to grow its Prius hybrid line into the segment’s dominant brand by starting with an emphasis in California.

But now Toyota and most of it Japanese rivals are treating North America like their domestic market — meaning that a California lens isn’t always the best one."

"Besides, California’s business climate is becoming an even bigger downer. California has become infamous with business executives and owners there not only for high tax rates and complex taxing schemes but also for overzealous regulations and regulators that have managed to stifle the entrepreneurial energy of thousands of companies.

Even Hollywood movie studios have been souring about producing flicks in California, increasingly reckoning that the sweet tax breaks and assistance packages now offered by so many other states offset the legacy advantages and ideal production climate in California.

About the only vast remaining pocket of dynamism in the California economy is Silicon Valley"
So, you are changing your vote to "dissimilar," now, I presume?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
So, you are changing your vote to "dissimilar," now, I presume?
No, not at all.

Texas has several "Silicon Valley's" of its own.

Most notably Silicon Hills in Austin & Silicon Prairie in Dallas where companies like AT&T, Metro PCS, Motorola, Match.com, Hotels.com, Ericsson, TI, ZTE, Dell, Samsung, Google, & Facebook reside.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:37 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
I'd call them "similar" only in the fact that they are both massive and contain diverse environments and built environments. Other than that, I think they're quite a bit different.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Congratulations Matt. I know people’s whose livelihoods are directly impacted by this. They’ve known for awhile. On their behalves, I want to take this opportunity to say: “thank you”, Matt. Because of your dogged insistence treating economic development, no matter of relevance or significance, with the same callous disregard as one would reserve the results of a baseball game in April, you have achieved your goal: you win the internet. Again, THANK YOU. Please take that in the spirit in which it’s intended.
My gosh, you act like Metro Matt is responsible for Toyota moving it's HQ to Texas. I doubt that's the case.

THANK YOU, TOYOTA, FOR CHOOSING TO GROW YOUR BUSINESS IN TEXAS. You won't regret the move.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My gosh, you act like Metro Matt is responsible for Toyota moving it's HQ to Texas. I doubt that's the case.

THANK YOU, TOYOTA, FOR CHOOSING TO GROW YOUR BUSINESS IN TEXAS. You won't regret the move.
I saw the hand writing on the wall 11 years ago when they moved truck production here in 2003. It was only a matter of time.

Texas has proven itself once again as THE place to conduct BIG business.

Pond hopping states like California where foreign businesses used to be located are no longer relevant these days. The widening of the Panama Canal was indeed a game changer.

Last edited by JMT; 04-28-2014 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: Let's not bring NY into the discussion, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.