Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:13 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
It’s a big state with a lot of surprises- CA is the fourth highest in US cattle inventory:

All Cattle & Calves by State...

Of course, it’s not nearly as robust as Texas in its…cowpulation.
California is also going through its worst drought in over 100 years. Those must be some sickly looking cows. Ann Curry did an hour long special on it the other right.

Its so bad people are salvaging what little rain water they get & not using their appliances. Everything is hand washed.

Food prices out there are skyrocketing.

California's pollution is traveling 1,000's of miles & turning pristine glaciers black.

Thanks, but no thanks, you can have every bit of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_eDkrAIk6I

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-16-2014 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
... while Texas is considered "backwoods."
Really?

A state that features Houston, DFW, San Antonio, and Austin is " backwoods"?

Sure that's not Mississippi you're thinking of...?

Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosamerleny0 View Post
Yeah, well, Texas and Cali are not alike at all. I have been to both. You can live pretty decently in Texas with a middle class wage. After you get past Palm Springs, California is super nice in terms of the variety of terrain and nature colors. Texas is mostly flat and monotone for long miles. Seeing ALL of Texas takes a long time. Amarillo is totally different from El Paso, and those are totally different from Beaumont/Tyler. South Texas is its own style as well.
Beyond the typical Liberal vs. Conservative discussion, Texas has less taxes and you get to keep more of your money overall. If someone absolutely must be in Texas and is a Hipster/progressive/gender varied then Austin is the place to be. It's hip, and trendy, without overdoing it and without actively excluding old-timey, traditional folk. Weatherwise, yes, Texas can be HOT, not as hot as AZ or NV, but yeah.
You gotta give it up to Austin. They have one heck of a marketing team thinking that it is so different than from the rest of the larger cities in Texas.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:20 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
California is also going through its worst drought in over 100 years. Those must be some sickly looking cows. Ann Curry did an hour long special on it the other right.

Its so bad people are salvaging what little rain water they get & not using their appliances. Everything is hand washed.

Food prices out there are through the roof.

Thanks, but no thanks, you can have every bit of that.
I guess you would be familiar with our current situation wouldn't you?

https://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/drought/

Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I guess you would be familiar with our current situation wouldn't you?

https://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/drought/
How about something a little more current than 2010?

The bulk of Texans do not live in a severe drought stricken area while the bulk of Californians do. The Bay Area where you live is colored in deep red indicating trouble.

United States Drought Monitor > Home > State Drought Monitor

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/p...conus_none.png

Last edited by JMT; 04-18-2014 at 06:42 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:

The bulk of Texas' population does not live in a severe drought area. Californians do.

Clearly my point went over your head, not surprised though. Droughts are cyclical and considering the drought TX had in 2011, the worst EVER in its HISTORY, it seems pretty stupid to talk crap on CA's current situation don't you think? Also almost the entire state of TX including all of it's big cities were in an "exceptional drought" in 2011. Just surprised someone from a state notorious for cyclical droughts would try to harp on another state for their current situation, but double standards are fairly common with your posts I guess.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Clearly my point went over your head, not surprised though. Droughts are cyclical and considering the drought TX had in 2011, the worst EVER in its HISTORY, it seems pretty stupid to talk crap on CA's current situation don't you think? Also almost the entire state of TX including all of it's big cities were in an "exceptional drought" in 2011. Just surprised someone from a state notorious for cyclical droughts would try to harp on another state for their current situation, but double standards are fairly common with your posts I guess.
Texas isn't going to run out of water anytime soon. California is.

Texas isn't going to have any major earthquakes in the coming years. California is. Remember that big one that rattled Southern California the other day caving in streets & buildings? Its just the beginning of a monster quake about to hit your state.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/29/us/california-earthquake/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...range/7045563/

Old 04-16-2014, 02:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:

The bulk of Texans do not live in a severe drought stricken area while the bulk of Californians do. The Bay Area where you live is colored in deep red indicating trouble.

Wow. So now we're arguing about which state's DROUGHT is bigger? Geez ... these forums never cease to amaze.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Texas isn't going to run out of water anytime soon. California is.

Texas isn't going to have any major earthquakes in the coming years. California is. Remember that big one that rattled Southern California the other day caving in streets & buildings? Its just the beginning of a monster quake about to hit your state.

Magnitude-5.1 earthquake rattles Los Angeles area - CNN.com

More than 100 aftershocks rattle Calif. after strong quake
Neither is CA, so not sure what you're talking about. Feel free to post some articles because you know damn well I can do the same with TX. Amazed at how hypocritical you are about some of the same problems these states face.

Okay, and I guess Texas has no natural distasters to worry about do they? LOL

10 States Most At Risk For Major Disasters | Bankrate.com

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-10...-disaster.html

Although I was just pointing out what a hypocrite you are when it comes to topics like this I guess we all did learn a few similarities these states have. So thank you MetroMatt, for once your posts actually provided some value to the thread topic

Old 04-16-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Neither is CA, so not sure what you're talking about. Feel free to post some articles because you know damn well I can do the same with TX. Amazed at how hypocritical you are about some of the same problems these states face.

Okay, and I guess Texas has no natural distasters to worry about do they? LOL

10 States Most At Risk For Major Disasters | Bankrate.com

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-10...-disaster.html

Although I was just pointing out what a hypocrite you are when it comes to topics like this I guess we all did learn a few similarities these states have. So thank you MetroMatt, for once your posts actually provided some value to the thread topic
Pick your poison. The difference is Texas' top 3 natural disasters are predictable long before they happen giving people time to prepare for the worst, California's are not.

+3 for Big Tex

-3 for Cali.

Texas natural disasters in order:

1. Flooding
2. Tornadoes
3. Hurricanes
4. Droughts
5. Forest fires

California natural disasters in order:

1. Earthquakes
2. Droughts
3. Wild fires
4. Mudslides/floods
5. Typhoons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.