Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:40 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times

Advertisements

5'9" male here. I feel on the lower side of average in Raleigh and above average in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 12:06 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times
I am a 5'11 guy.

In West Texas, I am a few inches taller than average it seems. Where I work I seem to be a bit taller then a majority of the guys, but there a few 6'3 or so guys.

In Colorado, I also thought I was a few inches than average. I know the state for some reason has a reputation for tallness, but from my observations not so much at all.

Utah and Arizona seem a bit taller than me than West Texas and Colorado from my experience.

Nebraska where I spent a summer in 2017 seemed a bit lower in stature states like Minnesota and Iowa where I have taken trips.

Nevada seems to be a state of low stature when it comes to height.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:21 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I'm 6'1" and a little surprised by how many people here around my height say they feel short. I've lived mostly in the Northeast and always felt tall. (Even as a kid, I was always the tallest kid in class.) When I lived in New York and took the subway every day, during times when it was packed and everyone was standing, I was often clearly the tallest person in the car, or at least among the tallest.

If I could pick any height to be, I'd probably just stay where I am. It's really a great height -- tall but not so tall that people stare at you.
Agreed. I am 6'0" and whenever I am standing in a packed subway car, there is usually only like 3-4 guys my height or taller. Now, when I am around a particular group of my friends I might feel smaller/average, but out in the real world 6' is definitely above average.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
And it's a myth. The percentage of men over 6' is less than 2% of the North American population. That's why it's so hilarious in personnel adds to see women "mandating" that men be over 6". You've just asked for less than 2% of the population to respond to your ad!
In defense of women's online dating profiles, a lot of shorter women think a guy is 6 feet when he is actually 5'8"-5'10". When you are 5ft tall, its hard to judge who is 5' 9" or who is 6', because they tower over you anyway.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:30 PM

184 posts, read 205,281 times
I'm 5'10 1/2 the definition of average.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:25 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
I'm a woman, 5'6", and I feel average, maybe just slightly above (Southern California). One of my daughters is 5'9" and she's definitely well above average, especially at her majority-Asian college.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:39 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
I live in Western Michigan which was settled by the Dutch. The Dutch are the tallest people on earth. The majority of my friends here who are native are between 6'2 and 6'8. My 5'7 Jewish rear end is typically the shortest everywhere I go

Old 09-26-2018, 10:22 PM

160 posts, read 104,044 times
I'm 6'1 in Denver, and everywhere I go, I'm usually the tallest person around. I once sat courtside at a Denver Nuggets game, and next to those guys, ( sans Allen Iverson), I felt the size of a toddler.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:46 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I am exactly six feet in DFW. I feel short compared to other guys around my age.
I think that everyone feels short in Dallas.

I'm 5'3" so not exactly tall anywhere but felt like a dwarf in DFW; even the women there seem tall, tall, tall.

My male co-worker who is 6' 4" went down to DFW and was happy because he didn't feel so out of place.

I don't know what they are feeding those people in Dallas to make them get so tall but too bad I didn't get any of it growing up, lol

Old 09-28-2018, 09:16 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,739 times
This is an old thread so my apologies if I answered it before. I am 5'7 and actually feel average where I live in Yakima WA. I am shorter than most white guys of course but this city is around 50% Mexican and I am taller than most...so when you mix it all together my height blends in with any crowd.

I'm sure it's because so many are short but I like how Mexican culture does not insult people for being short. I have never had a Mexican tease or insult me for my height, even the Mexican guys taller than me (and there are some) never say anything about it.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:51 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
6'6, I feel pretty much tall everywhere I go. It's literally the only thing people mention to me when they meet me; that an either the usual "Do you play Basketball?..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.