Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,238 times

Advertisements

My husband an I currently live in Scotland (he's American) but he would like to be back home in the U.S. and so we are looking to relocate. I am fully behind this decision and look forward to the adventure, however, we are unsure where to look. He was born in Detroit and raised near Ann Arbor, but he doesn't want to return to Michigan.

Getting a job is not a worry. He is extremely qualified and has lots of experience in his field so shouldn't have too much of a hard job finding work, so we need to focus on our personal needs from our location.

I have bullet-pointed some key ideas:
• Reasonable population size. We'd prefer an urban area.
• Absolutely hate humid heat. I cannot deal with sticky, sweaty summers. We'd like somewhere that is cool, breezy and rains frequently. We have never experienced a dry heat climate but we like the look of the Southwest... I am not sure if we'd cope well there though because of the weather. I also hate bugs, snakes, etc. i have grown up in the UK where there is low risk of dangerous insects.
• Low crime. I like to run errands and go jogging in my community at night. We would like to be in a safe city that is not associated with being riddled with crime, like my husband's home town.
• Major airport nearby. I'd like to fly home to Glasgow to see my family at least 1 time per year.
• Walkable/public transport. My husband can drive but I can't. I'd need to use commuter rail to get to work. The public transport doesn't have to be great but as long as the city has some form of it I'm good to go!
• My husband is a total sports nut. He would like to be near a major sports team (preferably a football or baseball franchise).
• We're coffee shop types NOT clubbing or religious types. We couldn't care less about the night life as long as the city has stuff to do in the evenings that don't revolve around getting wasted.
• Finally, we aren't religious so would like to avoid the Bible Belt and aren't extremely liberal either. My husband is a Democrat but in the UK I vote consistently Lib Dem, which would be in between the Republicans and Democrats leaning to the left towards the Democrats, though.

So, where would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:43 PM

93,421 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Seattle or Denver.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Seattle or Denver.
Thanks for the quick reply

IYO how would you sum up each city? I'd like a rough idea on the stereotypes/general feel of each city

Old 04-16-2014, 05:56 PM

297 posts, read 473,052 times
Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-16-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle]Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver]Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
I am familiar with Wikipedia but I was looking for a concise summary not thousands of words

Old 04-16-2014, 06:13 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,483,022 times
The differences between these places come down to geography and public transit. There aren't a lot of differences otherwise.

If you prefer a coastline, obviously Seattle would prevail.

If you prefer a more advanced public transit system, Denver wins.

Otherwise, there's not a lot of difference. Both of these places legalized pot during the same election, for goodness sake! There are far more similarities than differences, IMO.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,824,391 times
I don't think you would like the Southwest. Probably too dry for you.

Also, while the SW has less insects, the insects we do have are more dangerous... Like scorpions, spiders (we have more black widows I think out of the country) and we have more reptiles than most places in the US. Plenty of lizards, snakes, and gila monsters

Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,493,534 times
Milwaukee might not be a bad place to look at

Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,222,689 times
I second Seattle and would also throw in Portland, Oregon.. definitely among the more liberal cities in the US by a fair margin. I know you said you are fairly middle of the road "democrat" but I cannot imagine most western Europeans would feel like any American city was "too liberal" for them, then again that is complete conjecture just based on the few Europeans I know and have spoken with. But public transportation in both cities are very good with Seattle's being a good deal better. Frequent rain. Cool but not cold winters. Cool summers. Probably the most similar climate to what you are accustomed to.

I am loathe to suggest most of the eastern US (Northeast, Midwest and South) or Texas if you dislike humid summers but in the northern reaches you may find a suitable climate. What is your tolerance for winter weather? Portland, Maine is a very nice, walkable, compact city with pleasant summer weather and I think is among the more "European" of American cities. It does get humid there but even in the hot months (Jul-Aug) the average high doesn't get out of the upper 70s. That's a fairly cool summer by American standards. Once you go inland though the climate becomes more continental with hotter summers.

The Southwest could be an option, but summers are severe in most parts including the larger cities of Phoenix and Las Vegas. Yes it is a dry heat but it does get into the triple digits through the summer months. As stated poisonous insects and reptiles are found there and while I don't think they pose a substantial threat with the necessary precautions, they can and do cause injury to humans. Also, public transportation leaves something to be desired in my experience in cities like Phoenix and Las Vegas. Denver fits much of your criteria including good public transit but again, it is a mostly sunny semi-arid climate with relatively little rain.

Overall I would have to say either the Pac Northwest (Seattle, Portland) or the extreme upper coastal Northeast (Maine) depending again on your tolerance for winter.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:54 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell3n View Post
My husband an I currently live in Scotland (he's American) but he would like to be back home in the U.S. and so we are looking to relocate. I am fully behind this decision and look forward to the adventure, however, we are unsure where to look. He was born in Detroit and raised near Ann Arbor, but he doesn't want to return to Michigan.

Getting a job is not a worry. He is extremely qualified and has lots of experience in his field so shouldn't have too much of a hard job finding work, so we need to focus on our personal needs from our location.

I have bullet-pointed some key ideas:
• Reasonable population size. We'd prefer an urban area.
• Absolutely hate humid heat. I cannot deal with sticky, sweaty summers. We'd like somewhere that is cool, breezy and rains frequently. We have never experienced a dry heat climate but we like the look of the Southwest... I am not sure if we'd cope well there though because of the weather. I also hate bugs, snakes, etc. i have grown up in the UK where there is low risk of dangerous insects.
• Low crime. I like to run errands and go jogging in my community at night. We would like to be in a safe city that is not associated with being riddled with crime, like my husband's home town.
• Major airport nearby. I'd like to fly home to Glasgow to see my family at least 1 time per year.
• Walkable/public transport. My husband can drive but I can't. I'd need to use commuter rail to get to work. The public transport doesn't have to be great but as long as the city has some form of it I'm good to go!
• My husband is a total sports nut. He would like to be near a major sports team (preferably a football or baseball franchise).
• We're coffee shop types NOT clubbing or religious types. We couldn't care less about the night life as long as the city has stuff to do in the evenings that don't revolve around getting wasted.
• Finally, we aren't religious so would like to avoid the Bible Belt and aren't extremely liberal either. My husband is a Democrat but in the UK I vote consistently Lib Dem, which would be in between the Republicans and Democrats leaning to the left towards the Democrats, though.

So, where would you suggest?
I'm not sure why everyone has such an east coast aversion given there are some excellent options that don't involve high humidity. The Boston metro area would be one option, in particular the NE side coastal towns of Marblehead, Beverly, Salem or Peabody which are safe, walkable with easy access to Boston via commuter rail. The summer temperatures rarely exceed 80 degrees, don't have the wilting humidity and consistently see rain throughout the year. Boston of course not only offers a strong job market and an international airport but also is quite possibly the best sports town in the US with every professional sport represented with a team there and each are rabidly supported. Boston is a liberal city but not to the extent of far left like Seattle or Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.