Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:23 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,078 times

Advertisements

Have you seen the movie 'Borat'? You come across a little bit like the character in this movie with the naive questions you ask. Imagine a US citizen asks in a Polish forum if there's a place in Poland where there would be not too many Slavic people. Or Catholics, because they supposedly burn witches.

If you have money, come visit the cities you describe. You might like them the way they are. And when back in Poland, you'll also appreciate more your own beautiful country and great people.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:46 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seweryn Szeliga View Post
I don't mind if I move to area that has a lot of polish Americans

But tell me why is diversity branded as good in the U.S
I mean Poland is a monocultured nation and we don't see a point to invite the world to join us in our slice of the world
America was never culturally homogeneous. Although the majority race has always been white, they were never the same ethic groups of whites and even more to that extent, rarely shared the same sort of traditions.

The first Americans had varying religions and traditions and came from different European countries (mainly France, Britain, and Spain). Then of course they brought slaves as well as non-slave Africans which to this day has been a big part of American history. Then later down the line, there was a rise of European immigrants from many different countries and then along the West coast of the United States, there was a rise in Asian immigrants. Now, the majority of immigrants come from Latin America to the southern area of the country. The only areas that are sort of culturally homogeneous are rural areas and a lot of small towns. But even then, there's still a lot of regional differences among whites in that group.

Also, for America, we take pride in being the country that is able to provide anything to anyone from anywhere. The early part of American history deals a lot with being the country that rejected the ideals of the old world and promote an ideology of freedom and individuality for all who came. Although it's not perfect even today (racism is still somewhat of an issue), the American ideal is of one where all peoples of the world come together in harmony for the benefit of all.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:50 PM

29 posts, read 74,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Have you seen the movie 'Borat'? You come across a little bit like the character in this movie with the naive questions you ask. Imagine a US citizen asks in a Polish forum if there's a place in Poland where there would be not too many Slavic people. Or Catholics, because they supposedly burn witches.

If you have money, come visit the cities you describe. You might like them the way they are. And when back in Poland, you'll also appreciate more your own beautiful country and great people.

Thank you for saying I am naive and that I am like Borat, I appreciate the insults
You cannot compare asking if a city is 70% white to asking if their are areas in Poland where their are no polish people, I just simply wouldent want to be a minority in own city or town
Would you like to be a minority in your own city ? Also note the cultural shock from goining to a place that was 99% white to a place that is say 33% white, and I don't intend to visit I intend to stay permentally in the United States, you come across as a liberal I must say ( how is obamacare working out for you )

Old 04-20-2014, 03:00 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,796,574 times
Quote:
Thank you for saying I am naive and that I am like Borat, I appreciate the insults
You cannot compare asking if a city is 70% white to asking if their are areas in Poland where their are no polish people, I just simply wouldent want to be a minority in own city or town
Would you like to be a minority in your own city ? Also note the cultural shock from goining to a place that was 99% white to a place that is say 33% white, and I don't intend to visit I intend to stay permentally in the United States, you come across as a liberal I must say ( how is obamacare working out for you )

The US has more complicated demographics then you may be used too in Poland, and our liberals are very easily offended by comments regarding race. Don't let them bother you. I think you should take a trip here before choosing, there are a lot of choices. If you are looking for the whitest part of the US then you should concentrate on the upper Midwest. Cities such as Minneapolis MN, Green Bay Wi, Grand Rapids MI all would give you much of what your looking for. Grand Rapids MI is likely the most conservative of the cities in the upper Midwest, as it is a very religious area. (Dutch Christian reformed) As far as US religion goes, as you likely know we are more protestant than Catholic, but there is plenty of Catholics here as well. Most of them are in the Northeast, and some in the Midwest. The northeast however is very liberal, and reading your post leads me to believe you would not like it there. That brings me to the south, the part of the US I live in. The south is very conservative and religious, but it is not as white as you requested. I think if you visited the US and spent some time with the people here you would find that non white Americans will not bother you, in fact they add to the local culture. We have a diversity of food and culture because of the various groups in this nation. Memphis for example is a place where blues music and excellent BBQ is found in abundance because of the black culture of the American south. Mexican immigrants have brought their food with them, and we Americans eat tons of it. Despite what people say about us Americans of different races tend to get along very well compared to other diverse places around the world. I am not a liberal either, I am a kinda rabid conservative. As a fellow conservative I think you should check out the south and the west. Your value system will fit in better in these regions. Don't let our racial demographics scare you, since it is what makes America what it is. You will hear the term "melting pot" to describe how the different cultures have blended together to make the American culture what it is today. I get what your saying about not wanting to be a minority in a foreign country, and that is an understandable fear. I don't think your a racist as other posters have said, I think you just need to visit our country and meet the people here and you will understand. Also regular Americans are a lot more welcoming, and friendly to people from overseas than people are here on the internet.
There is one concern I would have however about relocating to the US and investing money here. Our government as you know is deeply indebt, our economy is not stable and if it collapses our entire nation will not be stable. We have a lot of political and economic problems that could really get crazy if things go badly. Read our history if you want to see how bad things can get, we have had a severe depression and a terrible civil war. I know all places have some bad things in their history, but sometimes people from overseas think this is the promised land, when in fact we are as vunerable to problems as other nations are.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:07 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Actually, much of the Northeast is moderate or people do not care either way, along with some conservative people. I don't think the conversation needs to be politicized either.

As for being, a minority, the OP would be one ethnically, unless he moves to a community with a large Polish presence and you can find 70% White communities almost in any metro area in the US. It isn't like the US has even percentages for racial groups, as the country is still about 60-65% White. So, finding a place that is 70% White actually isn't that hard to find in the US. One that has over 100,000 people and that is 70% White is tougher to find, not still very possible if you know where to look.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The US has more complicated demographics then you may be used too in Poland, and our liberals are very easily offended by comments regarding race. Don't let them bother you. I think you should take a trip here before choosing, there are a lot of choices. If you are looking for the whitest part of the US then you should concentrate on the upper Midwest. Cities such as Minneapolis MN, Green Bay Wi, Grand Rapids MI all would give you much of what your looking for. Grand Rapids MI is likely the most conservative of the cities in the upper Midwest, as it is a very religious area. (Dutch Christian reformed) As far as US religion goes, as you likely know we are more protestant than Catholic, but there is plenty of Catholics here as well. Most of them are in the Northeast, and some in the Midwest. The northeast however is very liberal, and reading your post leads me to believe you would not like it there. That brings me to the south, the part of the US I live in. The south is very conservative and religious, but it is not as white as you requested. I think if you visited the US and spent some time with the people here you would find that non white Americans will not bother you, in fact they add to the local culture. We have a diversity of food and culture because of the various groups in this nation. Memphis for example is a place where blues music and excellent BBQ is found in abundance because of the black culture of the American south. Mexican immigrants have brought their food with them, and we Americans eat tons of it. Despite what people say about us Americans of different races tend to get along very well compared to other diverse places around the world. I am not a liberal either, I am a kinda rabid conservative. As a fellow conservative I think you should check out the south and the west. Your value system will fit in better in these regions. Don't let our racial demographics scare you, since it is what makes America what it is. You will hear the term "melting pot" to describe how the different cultures have blended together to make the American culture what it is today. I get what your saying about not wanting to be a minority in a foreign country, and that is an understandable fear. I don't think your a racist as other posters have said, I think you just need to visit our country and meet the people here and you will understand. Also regular Americans are a lot more welcoming, and friendly to people from overseas than people are here on the internet.
There is one concern I would have however about relocating to the US and investing money here. Our government as you know is deeply indebt, our economy is not stable and if it collapses our entire nation will not be stable. We have a lot of political and economic problems that could really get crazy if things go badly. Read our history if you want to see how bad things can get, we have had a severe depression and a terrible civil war. I know all places have some bad things in their history, but sometimes people from overseas think this is the promised land, when in fact we are as vunerable to problems as other nations are.

Yes I am aware of what has happened in the past in the U.S
However their is a finicial crisis worldwide and problems like that tend to resolve themselves after a couple of years, and you are the worlds biggest economy after all, so it can't be all bad
( then again it depends on the region, I've heard of very bad economic things in a city called Detroit
I also think you underrate the U.S in its economic position
Sure you may be heavily indebt but think about the size of your economy
1 U.S economy is the size of 3 Chinas
Even though 300,000,000 live in the U.S and over. 1,300,000,000 people live in China

I see your point about the blending of cultures, something Ive never really experienced in Poland
Even Warsaw our capital is very monocultured and if a non white person came into a small town or the countryside people would look at them, not out of hatred but curiosity As this nation is very monocultured

Strangely enough Poland in the 17th century was about the most multicultural society you could find in Europe
Only about half of it was even polish, we used to have large minorities of ukranians, Lithuanians, Russians, Muslim Tartars and Jews, in fact we even had religious tolerance back in the 1400s
But we became Monocultured more as our borders shrunk and as we were occupied by foregin powers and of course world war 2 resulted in the displacement of people and genocide against Jews
So that's effectively how we became so monocultured, we don't even have a proper census on demographics in Poland as their is no real point in it

As for the southern U.S I've heard race relations their aren't particularly very good
Although I might be interested in the Midwestern regions and maybe the northeast if I can stand the liberals spewing garbage out of their mouths !

Old 04-20-2014, 10:01 AM

434 posts, read 684,502 times
[quote=Seweryn Szeliga;34437494]However I seek a city that is at least 70% White, I Don't believe in Multiculturalism I once worked out the demographics Of Poland and it was 99.8 % White European
It's not a racist thing I just prefer to be with people who have the same culture as me e.g European /quote]

A city that is 30% people of color will seem very multicultural if you are coming from a place that is 99.8% white European. One of the strengths of the United States is its pluralism, not that it has been easy. If you want to live in a society that is not pluralistic, than stay in Poland where you don't have to learn to live with people who are different than you. Or you could just move to many small, rural towns in the U.S, but forget urban areas, especially in California.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:02 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Most suburban communities in the Midwest are about 80% white. politics, they are usually 50-50 conservative liberal.

Look at cities like
Overland Park, KS.. West Des Moines, IA.. Apple Valley, MN.. Carmel, IN.. Chesterfield, MO.. Waukesha, WI..

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 04-20-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 04-20-2014, 10:13 AM

[quote=slowdog101;34444680]
Quote:
However I seek a city that is at least 70% White, I Don't believe in Multiculturalism I once worked out the demographics Of Poland and it was 99.8 % White European
It's not a racist thing I just prefer to be with people who have the same culture as me e.g European /quote]

A city that is 30% people of color will seem very multicultural if you are coming from a place that is 99.8% white European. One of the strengths of the United States is its pluralism, not that it has been easy. If you want to live in a society that is not pluralistic, than stay in Poland where you don't have to learn to live with people who are different than you. Or you could just move to many small, rural towns in the U.S, but forget urban areas, especially in California.

You live in South Dakota right ?
Isn't that one of the whitest states ?
maybe you need the diversity lesson

But I see your point 30% may seem like a hefty number
But that is also sort of the point, the U.S is around 65% white so I want to adapt to American society without feeling like a minority say in a city like Los Angeles
Sure I would also prefer a city whiter than 70%
But I probably won't find one like that that is over 100,000 in population and is a city *on the map
E.g has regional travel routes etc....
Also I want to live in a interesting state with a lot of diversity in the environment
(preferably mountains and lakes)
So that's why I made the criteria 70%

And no we are not all the same in Poland . People are different than each other here
We have regional dialects, cultures and traditions
I come from the south where the carpathian mountains are, our culture and traditions vary greatly from say people in the north by the Baltic sea for example, we are in a sense the mountain people

People can be very diverse and be of the same race, a white Russian and a white South African I bet have very little in common

Old 04-20-2014, 10:35 AM

434 posts, read 684,502 times
[quote=Seweryn Szeliga;34444797]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdog101 View Post

You live in South Dakota right ?
Isn't that one of the whitest states ?
maybe you need the diversity lesson
I live in South Dakota, and I have for the past ten years. Before that, I lived in urban California for more than 30 years. I am familiar with Redding, as my in-laws live there, and I wouldn't recommend you move there for many reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.