Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 01:37 PM

51 posts, read 135,769 times

Advertisements

Just a comment on the interracial marriages between mexicans and whites, when white latinos marry whites, it isn't interracial at all. It is the same as a white male marrying a white female. Now on the other hand when you have guys like Adam Rodriguez marrying Kate Upton (hypothetically speaking), that is interracial but it rarely happens from my experience. You don't see those kinds of latinos with white women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 08:37 PM

47 posts, read 120,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoreAmante View Post
Just a comment on the interracial marriages between mexicans and whites, when white latinos marry whites, it isn't interracial at all. It is the same as a white male marrying a white female. Now on the other hand when you have guys like Adam Rodriguez marrying Kate Upton (hypothetically speaking), that is interracial but it rarely happens from my experience. You don't see those kinds of latinos with white women.
Mexicans are mixed (Mestizos) to varying degrees with Indigenous and White blood and to a lesser degree Blacks so when they mix with Whites of course they are interracial. I am a Mexican-American who is white but my mom, dad and brothers range from light skin to dark skin due to our wacky genetics from many years of mixing due to the Spanish invaders lol. BTW I will be adding to the stats of Mexicans intermarrying outside their race/ethnicity with my beautiful Korean-American fiance.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:59 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
What people really need to know about the WEST interracially marriage rate is :

1. Interracial marriage in America is driven by whites and latinos marrying eachother. This group of latinos whom whites mix heavily with are Mexican American 2nd and 3rd generation grown in America.

2. This interracial mixture : White Caucasian -Mexican Americans account for 60+ percent in California, 80 percent in Texas, 90% in Arizona and similar high numbers in any place where Mexicans have a history.

3. In perspective. 2 million Mexican and White interracial marriages in the American west. TRIPLE that of Asian and White and 4 times as much as black and white.

4. The largest interracial mixture in America BY FAR is Mexican Americans in the 5 southwestern states and whites.

5. Without the amount of Whites and Mexicans mixing it up , America as a whole would have nearly 50% LESS intermxing across all races YEARLY.

Thus what is driving Americas interracial mixing? M-E-X-I-C-A-N-S. For anyone interested here are links:

INTERMIXING BY STATE: Only states with sizeable Mexican American populations had higher rates of mixing

U.S. rate of interracial marriage hits record high

TOP interracial cities? Every city with a sizeable Mexican American pop. Top interracial areas? Any areas with a sizeable Mexican American pop.

Geography Of Interracial Marriage - Business Insider
So basically white people from one census category for white people marrying white people from a different census category for white people?

Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
What people really need to know about the WEST interracially marriage rate is :

1. Interracial marriage in America is driven by whites and latinos marrying eachother. This group of latinos whom whites mix heavily with are Mexican American 2nd and 3rd generation grown in America.

2. This interracial mixture : White Caucasian -Mexican Americans account for 60+ percent in California, 80 percent in Texas, 90% in Arizona and similar high numbers in any place where Mexicans have a history.

3. In perspective. 2 million Mexican and White interracial marriages in the American west. TRIPLE that of Asian and White and 4 times as much as black and white.

4. The largest interracial mixture in America BY FAR is Mexican Americans in the 5 southwestern states and whites.

5. Without the amount of Whites and Mexicans mixing it up , America as a whole would have nearly 50% LESS intermxing across all races YEARLY.

Thus what is driving Americas interracial mixing? M-E-X-I-C-A-N-S. For anyone interested here are links:

INTERMIXING BY STATE: Only states with sizeable Mexican American populations had higher rates of mixing

U.S. rate of interracial marriage hits record high

TOP interracial cities? Every city with a sizeable Mexican American pop. Top interracial areas? Any areas with a sizeable Mexican American pop.

Geography Of Interracial Marriage - Business Insider
Oh so all those Asian-White couples I see all the time are just a myth? Ill let my friends know that

Old 03-09-2015, 07:22 AM

457 posts, read 645,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
. I think the west also has a more affluent black community so they will be less restricted to ghettos where they only interact with their own.
You mean "ghettos" where even highly educated black women who may have attended college in what their ghetto peers deem "white" schools like the Ivies or the "tech" schools like MIT or RIT, are TOLD that they MUST "stick with their own" by everyone around them, even if it means marrying a high school dropout thug type.

Like Maria says to Tony on "West Side Story," "it's not us, it's everything around us."

Old 03-09-2015, 07:39 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
The East Coast is more steeped in tradition, and the white populations have a stronger ethnic identity and have retained their European traditions (Irish-American, Polish-American, etc. vs generic white American Bob Smith from Colorado). So people on the East Coast are more like to stick with "their own kind." Ethnic enclaves seem to be stronger on the East Coast, whereas further West races seem to be fluid across cultures.

And yeah, Mexicans marrying non-Mexican whites is the largest factor in interracial West. Even then, the notion of race becomes blurred as there are many Mexicans who are more white Spaniard and can't be told apart from any other white person. I almost wouldn't consider it interracial marriage unless it's a known mestizo or Amerindian Mexican marrying someone else.

Asian-white marriages are also higher on the West Coast, as the Asian population makes up a higher portion. Don't know about Asian-Hispanic marriages.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:15 AM

822 posts, read 2,201,758 times
The eastern United States is steeped in a lot more traditional values as it has a lot more history than the western United States does. When I lived in the eastern United States everyone always seemed to be very concerned about what their age, marital status, and career were as this is how everyone seemed to measure each other. Living in the western United States the population as a whole doesn't seem to put as much stock in any of these things. Living in Southern Nevada I can tell you that for the most part no one cares how old you are, if you are married, or what your career is. It's a lot more of a live and let live culture. Being in an interracial marriage myself I feel a lot easier living in Nevada than I would in my home state of Kentucky.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:09 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
This is my take on it.

It is true that there aren't as many Hispanics and Asians in the eastern USA as in the western USA. However, this is what I notice where I live. BTW, I live in Georgia.

Georgia has far more Blacks than Hispanics or Asians. However, Asians and Hispanics are more likely to be in interracial marriages than Blacks are. Alot of Hispanic women I know who are in interracial relationships, are in them with White men. I only know one who is in married to a Black man, and she's Puerto Rican. Same goes for the Asians I've known. Those who date outside of their ethnicity usually date Whites.

I would say this. There is a lower amount of interracial dating in the eastern USA compared to the west because Blacks are the least likely to date interracially. I think it has alot to do with history, and how Blacks are perceived. The states that held on their their anti-interracial marriage laws the longest, were in the South, where the Black population is the largest. Oklahoma has a relative large population of Native Americans. Whites and Native Americans could intermarry, but Blacks weren't allowed to intermarry with anyone.

In some of the things I've seen and learned, there have been non-Black persons who have been told by their parents "no Black guys". This isn't just White parents. Some Hispanic and Asian parents have told their children this. I have actually met a few foreign-born Blacks(or first generation Blacks born in the USA to foreign parents) who have told me that their parents didn't want them dating African-Americans.

I've been around OKCupid. I found this statistic. If Black Americans have low rates of interracial marriage/dating, it isn't for lack of trying. This statistic on dating and race found this:
-Blacks(both males and females) did very badly in terms of who gets replies.
-Both, on the occasion they sent messages, were among the least likely to receive a reply.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:34 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
I can speak as a black male in splitting time in Boston in Hartford and raised in Boston. Up here like much of the northeast black are sort of militant. Its not uncommon, in Boston (27% black), Springfield (25% black), Brockton (41% black), Hartford (42% Black), New Haven (35% Black) , Bridgeport (33% Black), or even Providence (16% black) area black neighborhoods, to see Pan African flags, Kwanzaa banners, NOI mosques, and to hear the words "the black community" etc...much like in Jersey Philly or NYC. In the west, cities tend to be about 5-15% black (i.e. Las Vegas, LA, Denver, Seattle, Portland, San Bernadino, Phoenix etc.) and in the Mid Atlantic cities are about 40-50% black (Wilmington, Camden, Trenton, Chester, Philly, Newark, Harrisburg, Very large portions of Brooklyn and the Bronx). But the numbers are less in southern New England than in the mid atlantic for blacks and higher than out west. Blacks in CT MA and RI are about 9% of the population compared to about 15-16% for PA NY NJ. Its enough to not have to marry out and small enough to for whites to circumvent that population. IN addition to the Latinos in the northeast usually do not identify as white, and will often identify as black before white, or acknowledge their African roots. Add in the carribean cultural roots and African American militancy and that really just leave Asians and Whites and lower class whites to lighter skin Puerto Ricans. The Hispanics here are usually equal or slightly larger to blacks and do not seem to care to much if someone is black but they have the numbers to stick to their unique Latin flavor. As many posters said, on the east coast your aware if people are Irish, Jamaican, Italian, Dominican, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Haitian, AfAm, WASP and you tend to roll in those cliques and groups...My brother moved to LA and hes says everyone is on an equal and integrated field out there except for whites who always tend to be a little higher but its not as noticeable there.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:15 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
Did those lists only count married couples, or do those stats include non-married couples as well? Because I can tell you when I grew up in the St. Louis area, I remember tons of white women who remained unmarried to their black boyfriends or were single mothers of half black children. It's pretty common in the Rust Belt cities and Chicago too. These children usually grew up considering themselves black only and they would only count themselves as black on a census survey, which skews statistics. My first boyfriend was black & white and he very adamantly wanted to be called black only. I'm pretty sure there are way more white-black relationships and white-black people than what those stats reveal. I remember seeing so many of these kids when I grew up, that I just assumed every light-skinned "black" person I see has a white mother.

I should note that I also grew up in a low income area. I rarely saw upper income whites and upper income blacks intermarry. Seems to be the opposite for Asians & whites (usually upper income folks intermarrying, rarely the poor folk).

Last edited by skidamarink; 03-10-2015 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.