Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these regions does Oklahoma feel most associated with?
Southern 127 57.99%
Midwestern 68 31.05%
Western 24 10.96%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 10:15 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,502,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Oklahoma is part of the Southwest, the culture is southern, and it has nothing in common with the Midwest. The state is geographically mostly part of the south-central Plains with the West beginning along and west of I-35 and the southeast beginning southeast of Tulsa. The climate has nothing in common with the Midwest. Tulsa likes to think they are an island claiming more northern or Midwest influences but that is exclusively due to old money related to oil company financiers who were mostly not from the region. Oklahoma is also Native America with a significant First Nation populace and is also one of the top states in the US with persons claiming to be of more than one race, or biracial.
True on all counts.

Good to hear another tried and true Midwesterner put us South-Centralers (Okies) in our place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 10:21 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
I've spent a lot of young years in Oklahoma, and in cultural and economic terms, I'd call it southern and western with a tilt toward southern. Not midwestern at all. My last cowboy relative sold his cattle and retired about 30 years ago, just died two months ago in Lawton.

I'd point out, though, that "Midwest" actually stops on the eastern shore of the Mississippi River, and that the Great Plains is not the Midwest...which is why those states aren't really like Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,138 times
Culturally, Oklahoma is very southern. At least the southern and eastern parts of the state. I do feel like the north and west parts are more like west Texas, Colorado and New Mexico.
I'm from Tulsa and I definitely consider myself southern. Southern is a state of mind. LOL

Old 11-07-2014, 03:47 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,739 times
Southern

Old 11-07-2014, 04:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'd point out, though, that "Midwest" actually stops on the eastern shore of the Mississippi River, and that the Great Plains is not the Midwest...which is why those states aren't really like Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.
What? So MN, IA, etc, arent the Midwest? Youre crazy.

States like KS definitely feel Midwestern from the center Eastwards. From the center Westwards, not so much, but definitely has Midwestern feel.

Back on topic, I think OK feels more western than southern. Treeless plains, oil fields, red mesas, ranches, cacti, etc, feels definitely western, not southern. The far SE corner of OK feels southern, but thats about it.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:05 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I would say dominantly Southern, with Midwestern and Western influences in the northern and western parts of the state.

I would never describe Oklahoma as a Southwestern state.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What? So MN, IA, etc, arent the Midwest? Youre crazy.

States like KS definitely feel Midwestern from the center Eastwards. From the center Westwards, not so much, but definitely has Midwestern feel.

Back on topic, I think OK feels more western than southern. Treeless plains, oil fields, red mesas, ranches, cacti, etc, feels definitely western, not southern. The far SE corner of OK feels southern, but thats about it.
I think the Great Plains would be more deserving of the "Midwest" than the Great Lakes, the Great Plains have the actual central point of the country while the Great Lakes have states that are in the Eastern Time Zone.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:04 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
I think the Great Plains would be more deserving of the "Midwest" than the Great Lakes, the Great Plains have the actual central point of the country while the Great Lakes have states that are in the Eastern Time Zone.
The median geographical location of overall population within the Midwest is the Great Lakes region as Chicago is the largest metro area. The Great Plains region, while large in land area, are the periphery.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:28 AM

215 posts, read 390,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMidwesterner View Post
and Texas is considered part of the South.
not by us, it ain't.

and neither is Oklahoma

neither culturally nor geographically

only in very subtle ways...............maybe.

Last edited by Tenn82; 11-10-2014 at 02:36 AM..

Old 11-10-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn82 View Post
not by us, it ain't.

and neither is Oklahoma

neither culturally nor geographically

only in very subtle ways...............maybe.
I'm not sure about calling the Great Lakes states Midwestern but the official census calls both Texas and Oklahoma Southern and calls all the Great Lakes states except for Pennsylvania and New York Midwestern.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.