Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
Maybe it is a case of the grass being greener on the other side or worse- a fantasy that is just that- a fantasy.... But isn't Hawaii the most beautiful place to live?

The beach, the sunny relaxed feel, ocean all around....why doesn't every American desire to live there? If I were a citizen I'd at least spend a few months each year on that island. It looks like paradise in Lost, Jurassic Park and Hawaii 5-o. So much better than the urban decay that represents every other suburban town in every country.

For your own well being and sanity. Why doesn't every American(and every American at the very least makes 50k a year) spend a month on an island.

Why wouldn't you want to relocate there for good? It would be so much cheaper than living on the mainland. And it'll do wonders to your longevity.

I could become a citizen of Canada and I am relocating to the Vancouver islands. A sailboat, the ocean, a loved one does wonders for your well being. Far more than all cable TV and an Aston Martin....I can honestly vauvh for that.

If I were an American, I'd look for, scrounge for....ways to spend some time in Hawaii each year. You don't even need a passport.
Also, for what it's worth... I love, love urban decay. I find it hauntingly beautiful and fascinating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 09:11 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
1. Hawaii is a horrifically expensive place to live and has a very bad job market.
2. Hawaii is depressingly remote and difficult to get to and from. Air fare is ridiculous.
3. Hawaii has a huge underclass, with crime, homelessness and ghettos as bad as any city on the mainland U.S.
4. Hawaii has what is generally regarded as the worst public school system in the entire United States.

In other words, Hawaii is NOT paradise. Far from it.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Watch a tv show called "Dog the Bounty Hunter" to get an idea of some of the neighborhoods in and around Honolulu.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Why doesn't every American(and every American at the very least makes 50k a year) spend a month on an island.
I understand it's different in other countries, but I don't think there are many working Americans that are able to take off an entire month every year. I am entitled to four weeks of vacation every year but only one week at a time unless I get special permission to take two weeks. I think one or two weeks is pretty typical of most employers. I'd love to have an entire month off at one time, even if I just used it to chill in my hometown.

Last edited by DubbleT; 04-26-2014 at 10:25 AM..

Old 04-26-2014, 09:38 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
ummm, why would I wanna live in Hawaii?

OK, it's pretty, but pretty doesn't pay the bills.
Also, it's so far away and after you get tired of the beach, what does one do?

Sounds like a dumb idea.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
No thanks. I can visit any number of gorgeous mainland beaches anytime I get that "beach urge." I love the diversity of the US mainland - the terrain, the weather, the culture, etc. And I love the lower cost of living too.

My daughter has been living in Guam for over a year now and she has definitely got "island fever." Every day...it's 86 degrees. Every night, it's 76 degrees. No matter the season. Gigantic bugs and spiders too. No thanks.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I have a distant cousin who lived a quite a few years in Hawaii. She was originally relocated there from the mainland by her employer. She left a few years ago as she simply couldn't find a suitable life partner as it is somewhat isolated there. She seems now to found someone in California.

Also in general from what I have heard Hawaii is quite expensive so not affordable for everyone to relocate there and it is costly if one needs to fly and fore to the mainland every time one wants to visit family members (assuming one isn't a native of Hawaii).

Old 04-29-2014, 08:01 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have a distant cousin who lived a quite a few years in Hawaii. She was originally relocated there from the mainland by her employer. She left a few years ago as she simply couldn't find a suitable life partner as it is somewhat isolated there. She seems now to found someone in California.

Also in general from what I have heard Hawaii is quite expensive so not affordable for everyone to relocate there and it is costly if one needs to fly and fore to the mainland every time one wants to visit family members (assuming one isn't a native of Hawaii).

I have read quite a few local articles about a serious dislike of whites by the native Hawaiian population. Many talk about the active secession movement to break away from the US. I doubt Hawaii remains part of the USA long term.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:04 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Maybe it is a case of the grass being greener on the other side or worse- a fantasy that is just that- a fantasy.... But isn't Hawaii the most beautiful place to live?

The beach, the sunny relaxed feel, ocean all around....why doesn't every American desire to live there? If I were a citizen I'd at least spend a few months each year on that island. It looks like paradise in Lost, Jurassic Park and Hawaii 5-o. So much better than the urban decay that represents every other suburban town in every country.

For your own well being and sanity. Why doesn't every American(and every American at the very least makes 50k a year) spend a month on an island.

Why wouldn't you want to relocate there for good? It would be so much cheaper than living on the mainland. And it'll do wonders to your longevity.

I could become a citizen of Canada and I am relocating to the Vancouver islands. A sailboat, the ocean, a loved one does wonders for your well being. Far more than all cable TV and an Aston Martin....I can honestly vauvh for that.

If I were an American, I'd look for, scrounge for....ways to spend some time in Hawaii each year. You don't even need a passport.
It is beautiful but not really a practical kind of life. I guess it also depends on the kind of work you do. I couldnt get work there.

Hawaii is also expensive. It is ranked as the 2nd most expensive state, although mine is #3, at least I can get work here

Old 04-29-2014, 04:08 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I have read quite a few local articles about a serious dislike of whites by the native Hawaiian population. Many talk about the active secession movement to break away from the US. I doubt Hawaii remains part of the USA long term.
But it's already been a part since 1950. I dont see it suceding any time soon. This is like the whole downstate vs upstate NY debate. Downstate will never sucede from NY and form it's own state. I feel this is the same type of thing with Hawaii suceding from the USA. Too much mumbo jumbo and politics that it wont happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.