Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:20 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Denver is Grand Junction (I-70 W), 244 miles

Spokane is Seattle (I-90), 279 miles (as is Seattle-Spokane)

Ridgecrest, CA is Los Angeles (CA-14 S), 156 miles

Corona, CA is San Diego (I-15 S), 97 miles
I figured Grand Junction was the furthest for Denver. But there's a sign on the west side of Kansas City that has Denver on it. No signs i Denver for KC, even though there's really nothing inbetween.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:30 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
In Nashville, there's a sign over I-24 pointing to St. Louis which seems rather odd, since I-24 doesn't go to St. Louis and there's a lot more communities (Clarkesville, Paducah) between the two cities.
Do you recall where that was? I can't seem to remember any signs for St. Louis. I'm not saying that there isn't one (in all honesty, I rarely go up west I-24), but every sign I've seen shows Clarksville. Perhaps this was from some time back?

I'd be less surprised if there was a mileage sign (like, for instance, I-65 South where the overhead signs say Huntsville, but the mileage signs say Birmingham).

Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Do you recall where that was? I can't seem to remember any signs for St. Louis. I'm not saying that there isn't one (in all honesty, I rarely go up west I-24), but every sign I've seen shows Clarksville. Perhaps this was from some time back?

I'd be less surprised if there was a mileage sign (like, for instance, I-65 South where the overhead signs say Huntsville, but the mileage signs say Birmingham).
There used to be signs that listed STL as the control city for 24 west in Nashville (have not been down there in a number of years, may not be the case anymore). It isn't really all that surprising considering 24 makes up the majority of the STL to Atlanta corridor. In Paducah, there are still signs that show St. Louis as the control city for 24 west.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:02 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
Colorado Springs: Albuquerque 423 (I believe)

Old 04-25-2014, 09:04 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,798,187 times
For some reason New Mexico and Colorado puts little p*ss ant towns on their control signs for major interstate junctions.

Junction I-25/I-40 in Albuquerque the I-40 control signs read Gallup & Santa Rosa (should be Amarillo, TX and Flagstaff, AZ).

Junction I-25/I-70 and I-76 in Denver I-70 east reads Limon (may as well just put Kansas) and I-76 reads Fort Morgan (may as well put Nebraska).

Though in Albuquerque there is a mileage sign to Denver (443 miles) on I-25 north but the control sign says Santa Fe. On I-25 south there are mileage signs to El Paso, TX (268 miles) and the control sign says Las Cruces.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:48 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,264 times
Boston is interesting, since the westbound I-90 sign just as you cross 128/I-95, the sign says Worcester, but also New York. Whether that refers to the city or state is unknown since I-90 eventually ends up in the upstate portion of New York while I-90 to I-84 to I-684 (or I-90 to I-84 to I-91 to CT 15) takes you to the northern part of the NYC area.

For the NYC area, it's Albany (about 140 miles away) as shown on I-87 right before the I-287 exit near Elmsford.

For Philadelphia, Harrisburg since the Baltimore signage only appears in the southern half of the metro, and Harrisburg is about 115 miles from where I-276 (PA Turnpike) meets US 1. Baltimore doesn't even appear heading south until you cross into Delaware, and by then you're less than 90 miles from Baltimore. I don't know why Pennsylvania respects small Wilmington while Maryland doesn't respect big Philly?

For DC, it's NYC. When you take the inner loop to Exit 27 (I-95 North, you'll see that on the beltway itself the sign just points to Baltimore. But then an older 1970s/1980s era sign includes New York in addition to Baltimore, which is 215 miles from that sign. There is also a sign that says "NY-NJ Follow 95 North 2 Left Lanes" at mile marker 165.8 between Lorton and Newington in Fairfax County, VA.

Last edited by Borntoolate85; 04-25-2014 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 02:50 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
There used to be signs that listed STL as the control city for 24 west in Nashville (have not been down there in a number of years, may not be the case anymore). It isn't really all that surprising considering 24 makes up the majority of the STL to Atlanta corridor. In Paducah, there are still signs that show St. Louis as the control city for 24 west.
It's also been years since I've done the drive, but I've seen St. Louis on the sign as well (but if I remember most do say Clarksville though, it's not very consistent at that point yet...) It's more consistently on the mileage signs if I remember right.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:

It's def on quite a few of the mileage signs. I think the sign is at a major interchange in Nashville, otherwise I agree I think most say Clarksville.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 PM

For St. Louis I guess it's Tulsa (395 miles)

Old 04-25-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:

Still curious so I googled and found these:

Routing

Interstate 24 takes a northwest-southeast orientation through Southern Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee. The freeway even enters Georgia briefly. The highway facilitates traffic through Chattanooga, Nashville, and Paducah, but it also provides a connection to traffic with more distant destinations such as Atlanta, Chicago, and St. Louis. Some signage in Nashville listed the western control city for Interstate 24 as St. Louis, even though Interstate 24 does not go that far west.

Interstate-Guide: Interstate 24

"I-24 may be the only interstate in the country with a control city that requires two other interstates to reach. West of Paducah (and until recently, between Nashville and the Tennessee-Kentucky state line), destination signs on I-24 westbound are for St. Louis. However, I-24 doesn't even come close to St. Louis. It intersects I-57 northwest of Paducah in Illinois, but even I-57 doesn't go to St. Louis. Traffic for the Gateway City must use I-64 west from I-57 north."

Interstate 24

Anyways, hope it's not all gone, the tidbit about maybe the only interstate with a control city that requires two other interstates was kind of cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.