Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is most southern in values/culture?
Mississippi 223 45.42%
Alabama 105 21.38%
Louisiana 15 3.05%
Georgia 34 6.92%
South Carolina 24 4.89%
Arkansas 13 2.65%
Texas 9 1.83%
North Carolina 5 1.02%
Florida 44 8.96%
Virginia 13 2.65%
Tennessee 6 1.22%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:36 AM

320 posts, read 578,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'd say TN and NC are a lot more southeastern, while Arkansas contains mid-western aspects due to bordering Oklahoma and Missouri. It's not like TN and NC are miles more southern than Arkansas, but those two states don't contain a lot of aspects that are not southern in a southeastern way. However, all three are definitely Upper South overall.
Arkansas can also be considered more southern because it contains Deep South aspects due to bordering Mississippi and Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 05:45 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times
South Carolina is the sophisticated South.....Mississippi on the other hand.....

Old 05-11-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
South Carolina is the sophisticated South.....Mississippi on the other hand.....
That's kinda my point.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:20 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Arkansas can also be considered more southern because it contains Deep South aspects due to bordering Mississippi and Louisiana.
That's true, but I'd say when we think of southern aspects that most of us would agree on, they're a little more prevalent in Tennessee and North Carolina. Arkansas was always kind of that frontier state, the western edge of the south. One could argue that it has more in common with Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana but one could also group it in with Oklahoma, Missouri, and Texas.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
That's true, but I'd say when we think of southern aspects that most of us would agree on, they're a little more prevalent in Tennessee and North Carolina. Arkansas was always kind of that frontier state, the western edge of the south. One could argue that it has more in common with Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana but one could also group it in with Oklahoma, Missouri, and Texas.
Texas is already the frontier edge of the south. You think Little Rock Arkansas is like St. Louis and Kansas City Missouri? Arkansas is not progressive enough to be considered a favorable southern state because its got too much poverty. That's why NWA is more popular with transplants.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:38 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
=JayJayCB;34750442]That's true, but I'd say when we think of southern aspects that most of us would agree on, they're a little more prevalent in Tennessee and North Carolina. Arkansas was always kind of that frontier state, the western edge of the south. One could argue that it has more in common with Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana but one could also group it in with Oklahoma, Missouri, and Texas.
Missouri does not -- as a whole -- belong in the same "group" as Texas and Arkansas, nor even Oklahoma. In those states, most residents self-identify as living in the South and considering themselves Southerners. Such is not true of Missouri.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:40 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Missouri does not -- as a whole -- belong in the same "group" as Texas and Arkansas, nor even Oklahoma. In those states, most residents self-identify as living in the South and considering themselves Southerners. Such is not true of Missouri.
That's true, Missouri is definitely a Mid-Western state overall. However, with Arkansas, it's just my opinion but I don't think it's more southern than Tennessee and North Carolina. Arkansas isn't far behind because they are all Upper South states, but it just doesn't seem as southern to me as TN and NC, maybe Kentucky and Virginia but not Tennessee and North Carolina.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Yes Sir.

BTW and just for fun: How about that whoopin' that the Horns are about to receive at the hands of the Sooners come October?! It's comin', get ready my Longhorn Friend!

Old 05-20-2014, 02:35 PM

4 posts, read 8,864 times
NORTH CAROLINA:

Its already known that its a southern state and ALWAYS WILL BE with its history and southern culture. But to reinforce for some of you who obviously haven't been to the rural parts (aka 75% of the state).

- Birthplace and HQ of THE original southern sport, NASCAR. Look at the NASCAR Hall of Fame, nearly all of em are from NC. Dale Earnhardt for goodness sake! How can you say NC ain't the SOUTH when DALE and THE KING are from there!!! (plus Dale Jr., Lee Petty, the Jarrett's so on and so forth).

- Accent - the Carolina draw and the use of words like " over yonder", and the phrase "ahh law". Mom and Dad = Momma and Dedddyyy. Just a couple examples of Carolina dialect. The thickest NC accent is just as distinct than anything out of Mississippi or Alabama.

- Food! - cornbread, cole-slaw, chitlins, okra, chicken pot pie, flounder, Texas Pete, the sweetest sweet tea, CHEERWINE and BBQ. Lexington BBQ is the best in the world! All major staples of NC diets (at least, for those of us from here).

- Tobacco! - One of the largest producers. It is a staple of the south. See Tobacco Road and RJ Reynolds. Shoot, agriculture in general. Carolinian's are cut from farmers. Tractors, till, bushhogs, shucking corn before school! etc.

- Appalachia - don't really need to explain. Moonshine still alive in NC!

- Country music - Charlie Daniels, Eric Church, Randy Travis, Scotty McCreery, etc. Carolina this, Carolina that (btw, they ain't talkin about South Carolina! lol). Side note: The popular southern song, "Wagon Wheel", is about getting to Raleigh!

- Religion: Baptist. If you are like me, when you go to church, most of the members are your relatives.

- History (some unfortunate): Confederacy, Politics, Slavery, KKK, etc. Blood relations to most of the other southern states. A lot of my family are from Cherokee Falls/Gaffney, SC. We arent any less southern just because our family lives a couple hours away in SC!

Just a few reasons...Yea Raleigh and the Triangle might be getting overrun a bit, but that's just a fraction of the state. We have some of the best education (Duke, Carolina, State, WF, Davidson, etc.) in the world. Of course over time non-southerners will come. But that don't change the fact that NC will always be one of the most southern states.

Last edited by katt7406; 05-20-2014 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 02:43 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Deep south ends in east texas. The south ends in central texas. Ive seen red clay dirt as far west as austin. I saw some red clay dirt at a junk yard jus outside austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.