Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is most southern in values/culture?
Mississippi 223 45.42%
Alabama 105 21.38%
Louisiana 15 3.05%
Georgia 34 6.92%
South Carolina 24 4.89%
Arkansas 13 2.65%
Texas 9 1.83%
North Carolina 5 1.02%
Florida 44 8.96%
Virginia 13 2.65%
Tennessee 6 1.22%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 03:04 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's an interesting take. I just don't see progressive cities, etc., as representing southern values/culture. But that's me!
Then I'd say your perception of the South is limited. Certainly big progressive cities aren't dominating the region, but they are very much a part of the Southern landscape and they are responsible for a big share of the region's rapid growth over the past several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 03:19 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Then I'd say your perception of the South is limited. Certainly big progressive cities aren't dominating the region, but they are very much a part of the Southern landscape and they are responsible for a big share of the region's rapid growth over the past several years.
I think yours is too encompassing. The south has evolved over time, with migration, new industry, etc. But much of this transformation isn't what I'd call the "epitome" of southern culture/tradition/way of life/values (from the OP). Its a lot of transported culture/values/tradition/way of life; I wouldn't call it southern culture just because these things are now prevalent in some southern regions. If every New Yorker swarmed to Arkansas or Louisiana, bringing with them their northern culture/values/traditions/way of life, the new balance of things wouldn't make Arkansas or Louisiana more southern just because they are southern states. No, far from it. These new transplants, with their different culture/traditions/way of life/values, would make Arkansas or Louisiana considerably less southern, as far as southern culture/tradition/way of life/values are generally understood.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think yours is too encompassing. The south has evolved over time, with migration, new industry, etc. But much of this transformation isn't what I'd call the "epitome" of southern culture/tradition/way of life/values (from the OP). Its a lot of transported culture/values/tradition/way of life; I wouldn't call it southern culture just because these things are now prevalent in some southern regions. If every New Yorker swarmed to Arkansas or Louisiana, bringing with them their northern culture/values/traditions/way of life, the new balance of things wouldn't make Arkansas or Louisiana more southern just because they are southern states. No, far from it. These new transplants, with their different culture/traditions/way of life/values, would make Arkansas or Louisiana considerably less southern, as far as southern culture/tradition/way of life/values are generally understood.
Oh I agree that Southern states that have experienced the most growth aren't really the most (culturally) Southern by most people's standards, but it appears that the mention of Georgia was about a state that's most representative of the South both past and present and according to a few other factors like geography. He made a distinction between that and states considered more traditionally "Old South."

Old 12-12-2018, 08:51 AM

644 posts, read 1,018,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oh I agree that Southern states that have experienced the most growth aren't really the most (culturally) Southern by most people's standards, but it appears that the mention of Georgia was about a state that's most representative of the South both past and present and according to a few other factors like geography. He made a distinction between that and states considered more traditionally "Old South."
Exactly, thank you.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:51 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Interesting. I picked Mississippi having no idea it was the easy #1 on this poll. I thought Georgia would be #1 but I thought Atlanta had far too many transplants and is too much of an international city to be the most Southern. I guess others here had the same train of thought.

I have a friend who delivers freight all over the country and he loves Mississippi. He says it still retains it's old time Southern charm...more so than any other southern state.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:06 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Interesting. I picked Mississippi having no idea it was the easy #1 on this poll. I thought Georgia would be #1 but I thought Atlanta had far too many transplants and is too much of an international city to be the most Southern. I guess others here had the same train of thought.

I have a friend who delivers freight all over the country and he loves Mississippi. He says it still retains it's old time Southern charm...more so than any other southern state.
You know a place had few transplants and lacked an international feel traditionally when as recently as 1980 only 3% of Atlanta area residents were Catholic. An although the Atlanta area is presently more of a hub for black transplants from around the country than any other area in the South, traditionally, that's hardly the case. Not if in comparisons to 1920 black populations when you had 1930-1970 average black populations which were 226,000 larger in Louisiana, 58,000 larger in Alabama, 26,000 larger in Mississippi, but 101,000 smaller in Georgia.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:38 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
You know a place had few transplants and lacked an international feel traditionally when as recently as 1980 only 3% of Atlanta area residents were Catholic. An although the Atlanta area is presently more of a hub for black transplants from around the country than any other area in the South, traditionally, that's hardly the case. Not if in comparisons to 1920 black populations when you had 1930-1970 average black populations which were 226,000 larger in Louisiana, 58,000 larger in Alabama, 26,000 larger in Mississippi, but 101,000 smaller in Georgia.
Hey man, ATL actually started to attract in the 1970s and you have to start somewhere. I see that you post a lot of info that meant to be against the grain of Atlanta's image (to show New Orleans in a better light usually) but the info that you've provided is actually great. Atlanta has done something right with itself to scoop these people up. You think Atlanta sucks but not the definition you're thinking of, ATL does a good job siphoning the rest of the South I guess (relatively speaking).

Old 12-14-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Hey man, ATL actually started to attract in the 1970s and you have to start somewhere. I see that you post a lot of info that meant to be against the grain of Atlanta's image (to show New Orleans in a better light usually) but the info that you've provided is actually great. Atlanta has done something right with itself to scoop these people up. You think Atlanta sucks but not the definition you're thinking of, ATL does a good job siphoning the rest of the South I guess (relatively speaking).
We're nearly two decades into the 21st century and he's so stuck in the past. It must suck to take all of this so personally.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:25 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Alabama, because it is a veritable cross-section of the South and is centrally located within the South.

Huntsville and Birmingham are the Upper South, in the Applachian foothills. Mobile is the Deep South/Gulf Coast, complete with Florida-style humidity and beaches, and a Forrest Gump landscape.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:56 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
If I think in absolutes of what I consider 100% Southern states I think of SC, GA, AL, MS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.