Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is most southern in values/culture?
Mississippi 223 45.42%
Alabama 105 21.38%
Louisiana 15 3.05%
Georgia 34 6.92%
South Carolina 24 4.89%
Arkansas 13 2.65%
Texas 9 1.83%
North Carolina 5 1.02%
Florida 44 8.96%
Virginia 13 2.65%
Tennessee 6 1.22%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 09:28 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
In my opinion, there are pockets of the South that are the least southern, such as Nashville, TN; Southern Louisiana due to Catholic roots and Creole/French/Cajun influences; Fayetteville/Northwest Arkansas; Atlanta; NOVA in Virginia; and most of Florida, North Carolina, and Texas. Even Oklahoma feels more Southwestern except for the extreme eastern part of the state.

Some of the areas listed are booming with explosive growth dubbing the New South.
In the Triangle, I’ve gone to a bluegrass and gospel banjo thing that takes place twice a month at a country store 15 minutes from anything approximating a chain store. And that’s in “urban” part of the state. North Carolina is southern without any qualifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 09:29 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
You forgot Maryland ^.^

Old 04-11-2019, 09:51 AM

525 posts, read 718,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
You forgot Maryland ^.^
Delaware and Maryland may be southern regionally but I don't consider them southern culturally.

Some people said the same about West Virginia and other mountainous areas of the South, such as the Ozarks and the Appalachians. Mountain country is unique and slightly different from the South like Knoxville, TN where I used to live for two years.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:06 AM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
Quote:
In my opinion, there are pockets of the South that are the least southern, such as Nashville, TN; Southern Louisiana due to Catholic roots and Creole/French/Cajun influences; Fayetteville/Northwest Arkansas; Atlanta; NOVA in Virginia; and most of Florida, North Carolina, and Texas. Even Oklahoma feels more Southwestern except for the extreme eastern part of the state.

Some of the areas listed are booming with explosive growth dubbing the New South.
So, apparently cities make a place less southern? And if you say transplants make a place less Southern, does that mean Chicago is less Midwestern or Seattle less Pacific Northwest. Only in this forum will you find people who think a place becomes less Southern as it experiences growth, but this logic is never applied to any other region and it’s baffling.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:15 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
So, apparently cities make a place less southern? And if you say transplants make a place less Southern, does that mean Chicago is less Midwestern or Seattle less Pacific Northwest. Only in this forum will you find people who think a place becomes less Southern as it experiences growth, but this logic is never applied to any other region and it’s baffling.
That's because most of what characterizes the South is rural/agrarian in nature. There's a long history behind this.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Delaware and Maryland may be southern regionally but I don't consider them southern culturally.

Some people said the same about West Virginia and other mountainous areas of the South, such as the Ozarks and the Appalachians. Mountain country is unique and slightly different from the South like Knoxville, TN where I used to live for two years.
Well then those places certainly wouldn't win the poll. But they are still southern lol.

And btw, have you even been to WV? It's pretty damn southern to me!

Old 04-11-2019, 01:45 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's because most of what characterizes the South is rural/agrarian in nature. There's a long history behind this.
Yes it's kind of strange in that urbanization is completely unattached to "southern" culture despite the fact that it is inevitable. No other so called "cultural" area gets penalized by growing and getting more modern.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:27 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Well then those places certainly wouldn't win the poll. But they are still southern lol.

And btw, have you even been to WV? It's pretty damn southern to me!
Depends on what part of WV. Wheeling/Morgantown/far Eastern Panhandle are not very southern areas.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Depends on what part of WV. Wheeling/Morgantown/far Eastern Panhandle are not very southern areas.
Neither are many places in Florida, but that still got listed.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:50 PM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think this also characterizes the Midwest, and during the 20th Century, the West. I think the bigger reason that people on this forum claim that fast growing places are losing their “southerness” is due to stereotypes.

I don’t buy the notion that growth and progress change a places culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.