Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is most southern in values/culture?
Mississippi 223 45.42%
Alabama 105 21.38%
Louisiana 15 3.05%
Georgia 34 6.92%
South Carolina 24 4.89%
Arkansas 13 2.65%
Texas 9 1.83%
North Carolina 5 1.02%
Florida 44 8.96%
Virginia 13 2.65%
Tennessee 6 1.22%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:52 AM

68 posts, read 108,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Just curious but why would you put Virginia over Tennessee and North Carolina?
I put it there because Virginia's history, but I probably would put TN ahead of Virginia in hindsight. I still would have VA ahead of NC because besides NOVA Virginia is a little more southern that NC imho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 11:15 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,454,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDS30 View Post
I put it there because Virginia's history, but I probably would put TN ahead of Virginia in hindsight. I still would have VA ahead of NC because besides NOVA Virginia is a little more southern that NC imho.
I would have to disagree and say that North Carolina is more southern today, but hey, everyone has a different opinion. I know NOVA can't overpower the whole state of VA, but a good portion of Virginia's population lives there and it's not really southern at all IMO. The major NC urban areas of Charlotte and the Triangle feel a lot more southern than any major urban area of VA, and although Richmond is definitely a southern city, it's also similar to DC and Baltimore which are solidly Mid-Atlantic. Also, eastern NC is a lot more Deep South than any area of VA, it's pretty similar to eastern SC and southern GA and even some areas of Alabama and Mississippi. However, this is all my opinion. As a whole, both NC and VA are Upper South states. I just think that NC is a bit more southern, judging by my travels across both states in the urban and rural areas.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 05-10-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-10-2014, 05:00 PM

68 posts, read 108,850 times
Quote:
I would have to disagree and say that North Carolina is more southern today, but hey, everyone has a different opinion. I know NOVA can't overpower the whole state of VA, but a good portion of Virginia's population lives there and it's not really southern at all IMO. The major NC urban areas of Charlotte and the Triangle feel a lot more southern than any major urban area of VA, and although Richmond is definitely a southern city, it's also similar to DC and Baltimore which are solidly Mid-Atlantic. Also, eastern NC is a lot more Deep South than any area of VA, it's pretty similar to eastern SC and southern GA and even some areas of Alabama and Mississippi. However, this is all my opinion. As a whole, both NC and VA are Upper South states. I just think that NC is a bit more southern, judging by my travels across both states in the urban and rural areas.

I can see that too, there pretty close. I still think VA, but I can see what you're saying too.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:08 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,781,021 times
Quote:
I think it's safe to say that Florida, Texas, and Virginia are the least southern today out of the former Confederate states.
And yet, they are all still Southern.

One day, 100 years from now maybe, people will mourn the loss of the great southern culture that once defined the region.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:15 PM

10,111 posts, read 15,777,221 times
I don't think most of Texas and Florida are that Southern. Texas has always been more about itself and Texas pride vs Southern pride. Plus while East Texas is definitely in the South, I really would not consider the Panhandle, South Texas, West Texas, or San Antonio southern at all. Dallas-Fort Worth also has very little southern culture left plus Fort Worth has always been more western than southern. The cowboy culture really is more western than southern.

The most populous regions in Florida are also so filled with northeast transplants and illegal immigrants that the southern culture has been diluted. I would honestly say today Kentucky (excluding the Cincinnati suburbs) and West Virginia (with the exception of the WHeeling and Morgantown areas) are more Southern than Texas and Florida. Virginia is southern if you leave the DC suburbs. The most Southern states are Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, and South Carolina. Its important to note that transplants are NOT liberalizing South Carolina as they are Northern Virginia and NC. Many of the transplants in SC are conservative retirees getting away from high taxes and the moral decay of the Northeast and East Coast.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And yet, they are all still Southern.

One day, 100 years from now maybe, people will mourn the loss of the great southern culture that once defined the region.
Yep, they're definitely still southern states overall.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:39 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
Quote:
I think it's safe to say that Florida, Texas, and Virginia are the least southern today out of the former Confederate states.
Agreed.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:06 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,781,021 times
One thing people forget is that there are parts of Missouri, Illinois, Ohio and even Pennsylvania that feel very southern. The lines are most definitely blurred.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:24 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times
Quote:
As a Texan and Southerner (and I will repeat 'till hell freezes over there is not the slightest contradiction in the two terms), I have to mostly agree with this.

It was sometime during the 1930's that this whole "separation" of one Confederate State being "more Southern" than another (lots of times for political and/or business reasons) ever came about at all. Prior too? There was no separation of Mississippi from Texas, etc, as in the sense of being the "epitome" of the South. That came about later, as Texas began to claim a more "frontier west" attitude and orientation...simply because it could.

But it never really worked in the long run...because the basic premise wasn't there and could last very long. Since the 1980's or so, as Glen Ely said, there has been a MUCH needed correction in Texas history books/authors, to bring back to life just how "Southern" -- from start to finish -- Texas really is. It is not -- as a whole -- "Gone With the Wind", Southern...but it IS, a state that was first described as "Empire State of the South".

Texas is Southern...just not typically Southern. It doesn't take much more than a little panfry to realize how much it really IS Southern.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
As a Texan and Southerner (and I will repeat 'till hell freezes over there is not the slightest contradiction in the two terms), I have to mostly agree with this.

It was sometime during the 1930's that this whole "separation" of one Confederate State being "more Southern" than another (lots of times for political and/or business reasons) ever came about at all. Prior too? There was no separation of Mississippi from Texas, etc, as in the sense of being the "epitome" of the South. That came about later, as Texas began to claim a more "frontier west" attitude and orientation...simply because it could.

But it never really worked in the long run...because the basic premise wasn't there and could last very long. Since the 1980's or so, as Glen Ely said, there has been a MUCH needed correction in Texas history books/authors, to bring back to life just how "Southern" -- from start to finish -- Texas really is. It is not -- as a whole -- "Gone With the Wind", Southern...but it IS, a state that was first described as "Empire State of the South".

Texas is Southern...just not typically Southern. It doesn't take much more than a little panfry to realize how much it really IS Southern.
Agreed. Some time back I tried to say Texas isn't southern overall, but every former Confederate state will always contain southern aspects and will always be, IMO, southern states overall.
Like I posted before, this seems to be an accurate list IMO.
1. Mississippi
2. Alabama
3. South Carolina
4. Georgia
5. Louisiana
6. Tennessee
7. North Carolina
8. Arkansas
9. Virginia
10. Texas
11. Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.