Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state(s) is most northern in values/culture?
Vermont 19 16.96%
Maine 36 32.14%
Massachusetts 32 28.57%
New York 21 18.75%
Connecticut 15 13.39%
New Jersey 7 6.25%
Pennsyvlania 3 2.68%
Ohio 2 1.79%
Michigan 8 7.14%
Illinois 2 1.79%
Wisconsin 10 8.93%
Minnesota 36 32.14%
New Hampshire 7 6.25%
Rhode Island 5 4.46%
Iowa 1 0.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 01:57 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I did not know that. There are Pine Barrens in Maine (and Connecticut???). I thought they were just in New Jersey, New York (Long Island and near Albany) and in southeastern Massachusetts?
There are many areas of pine barrens in Wisconsin:

http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/reg..._cherry_lg.jpg

I believe there are also in MN, and I know that MI has them as well.

Last edited by JMT; 05-13-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The only areas in the north with large areas of evergreen forest are the Adirondacks, small parts of western MA, and parts of NH and ME. Most of the north is characterized by deciduous forestry. If anything, it's the southern U.S. that has vast sections of pine trees. But anyway, I would say Maine is very similar to the Florida panhandle in terms of landscape and culture.
Uh, no. You're pretty much wrong about everything on this thread, and you've obviously never been to MN/WI/MI. "Up North" in these states is characterized by a lot of pine trees and the animals mentioned by Irfox above. That's what I think of as "northern" (as a Northerner), basically a region that's reflects areas of Canada (Northern MN/WI/MN are part of the Canadian Shield), which would include MN/WI/MI as well as ME and other parts of New England.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:32 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
The stereotypes of northern = liberal and southern = conservative have completely ruined every discussion on this forum about what it means to be Northern or Southern. Come on, people. Use your brains and leave your agendas behind. Lets try to examine this stuff on a deeper level and move beyond the political garbage.

I am northern, and I dislike all politics, period. I don't agree with anyone on anything. Stop labeling me (and others) and start talking about things that are actually interesting. You know, like actual culture and maybe some geography.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:49 PM

^ Exactly

Old 04-28-2014, 02:54 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
The South is charecterized by few Catholics and lots of White Evangelicals. So maybe a very northern state would have lots of Catholics and few White Evangelicals. The most Catholic states in the country are in the Northeast with the exception of western states with large hispanic populations:

State by State Percentage of Evangelicals, Catholics, and Black Protestants - Beliefnet.com

The northern Midwestern states have more evangelicals than the Northeast but fewer than the South. New York has more Jews than White Evangelicals.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:56 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
The only areas in the north with large areas of evergreen forest are the Adirondacks, small parts of western MA, and parts of NH and ME. Most of the north is characterized by deciduous forestry. If anything, it's the southern U.S. that has vast sections of pine trees. But anyway, I would say Maine is very similar to the Florida panhandle in terms of landscape and culture.
Yes, but as you go north you get less deciduous and more evergreen. The landscape of Canada has nothing southern about it.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:10 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The stereotypes of northern = liberal and southern = conservative have completely ruined every discussion on this forum about what it means to be Northern or Southern. Come on, people. Use your brains and leave your agendas behind. Lets try to examine this stuff on a deeper level and move beyond the political garbage.

I am northern, and I dislike all politics, period. I don't agree with anyone on anything. Stop labeling me (and others) and start talking about things that are actually interesting. You know, like actual culture and maybe some geography.
Thank you! I was born and raised in Ohio and now live in SE Michigan. I have ancestral roots here on both sides of the family going all the way back to the days of the first settlers in this part of the country. Guess what? I am a Protestant, Christian conservative that would probably rival anyone in Georgia or South Carolina in that regard, and so is my entire family and a vast number of the people that I know and interact with everyday, even though I live in the bluest corner of this state. The idea that everyone in the North is a card carrying, godless, liberal and everyone in the South is an evangelical Christian conservative is a gross overgeneralization and an insult to anyone who does not fit those stereotypes, regardless of which side of the coin you are on.

Believe me, Michigan is not a true blue state by any stretch of the imagination. The large minority populations in our cities, the liberals in the college towns, and the union workers tend to slant our national election results that way, but much of Michigan is as red state as anywhere in the Southeast. Western Michigan is very evangelical, and we have a conservative Republican governor and state legislature. Believe me, if this state was anything like a true blue state, I would have left a long time ago!

Likewise, you can't tell me that there aren't certain pockets of liberalism in the Southeast, or how could FL, NC, and VA remotely be swing states in every Presidential election?

Old 04-28-2014, 03:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
Democratic, liberal, open minded. Basically a blue state. I know said by the northern state with the Republican governor.
Politics doesnt really mean anything in this discussion... there are plenty of democrats in the north and south... and there are plenty of republicans in the north and south.

Try looking at life without labeling everything liberal and conservative.

Quote:
People are stupidly voting for Maine, as expected, for no other reason than the fact that it's geographically the most northern state on the east coast. Kind of like when I made that thread asking people which state is the epitome of the "deep north." Any rational person would not choose Maine. Maine is more similar to midwestern and southern states in that it's slow paced, less wealthy and more rural. Why are Americans so stupid?
Americans are stupid because they don't have the same opinion as you, ahhh great you are one of those people...

Old 04-28-2014, 09:19 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Anyway, I voted for NY, MA, CT and RI. They are total Yankee land, in my opinion, and representative of the quintessential north. PA is a bit too southern/Midwestern. VT, NH and ME are simply too rural and undeveloped. NJ feels slightly southern to me, too, being from New England.
What?

"Being from New England", New Jersey "feels slightly southern" to you? How does that even make sense? You know NJ and CT are separated by only a small portion of New York state, right? One narrow county called Westchester?

New Jersey could not be any LESS like the South. It's the most dense state, 11th most populated, it's liberal (something I personally am not proud of but hey it is), it's diverse, a state whose residents are considered to constantly be in a hurry and aggressive, and it's a wealthy state (2nd by median household income). North Jersey is basically NYC and Long Island. South Jersey is more rural, but that doesn't automatically equal southern. Rural and southern are not synonyms…

Old 04-28-2014, 09:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Politics doesnt really mean anything in this discussion... there are plenty of democrats in the north and south... and there are plenty of republicans in the north and south.

Try looking at life without labeling everything liberal and conservative.

Americans are stupid because they don't have the same opinion as you, ahhh great you are one of those people...
Very hard for some people to do unfortunately. It's like a disease when one views everything through the eyes of bipartisanship and judges a whole state/city/region on it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.