Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:55 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wyo: First state to give women the right to vote, came in to the union with women voting in 1890.

Idaho: Gave women the vote in 1896, after Wyo, CO, and UT. Long before any state east of the Miss.
Timeline of Women's Suffrage in the United States
I think this thread is talking about meaningful history darlin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 01:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Oh? Women's suffrage isn't "meaningful"? What is meaningful? Men shooting other men for money?

Old 05-10-2014, 04:45 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Idaho
North Dakota
Montana
Maine
Vermont

Hawaii (aside from Pearl Harbor I don't think there's much history there)

Old 05-10-2014, 05:01 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Hawaii (aside from Pearl Harbor I don't think there's much history there)
Uhhh, have you ever been to Hawaii? The only state that was once an independent kingdom, the only Royal Palace in the United States (located in downtown Honolulu). The big island has several National Historic Park sites with Native Hawaiian archaeology and history. Then there all the WWII history if that is your thing.

The truth of the matter is, every state has had interesting and unique historical events if you look into it. If the only thing you find interesting is war, the South has Civil War history, the North has a lot of Revolutionary War history, and pretty much the whole country had some sort of Indian wars.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:36 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
I'd have to go with the standard... "North Dakota." Other than motorcycle enthusiasts, I have never heard anyone say "lets go to North Dakota" for any reason.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:43 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Uhhh, have you ever been to Hawaii? The only state that was once an independent kingdom, the only Royal Palace in the United States (located in downtown Honolulu). The big island has several National Historic Park sites with Native Hawaiian archaeology and history. Then there all the WWII history if that is your thing.

The truth of the matter is, every state has had interesting and unique historical events if you look into it. If the only thing you find interesting is war, the South has Civil War history, the North has a lot of Revolutionary War history, and pretty much the whole country had some sort of Indian wars.
People have often sort of a limited view of "history". Historical knowledge in this country is usually just focused on the big events--starting with wars, and then maybe exploration or political events. People only see the most obvious and famous historical sights as worthy of attention often--and sometimes it's just limited to a few famous monuments.

The truth is that the periods in between the wars or the big periods can be just as interesting. How the frontier was settled was interesting, places that were big boomtowns or immigrant filled ports are interesting, old urban landscapes and. I find somewhere like the Tenement Museum in the Lower East Side of New York that shows how Italian and Irish and Jewish immigrants really lived as interesting if not more so as the Statue of Liberty. Likewise the history of a place like Wyoming with the legacy of mountain men fur trappers living side by side with Native Americans and homesteaders and miners on the frontier-or the Johnson County War which was basically a real life Western with shootouts between gunslingers over rival ranchers fighting for territory--isn't boring either.

And yeah, Hawaii has plenty of history in a lot of different ways. That's such a place that obviously not boring in terms of history considering it was once a Polynesian kingdom, was the last place of US territory to be attacked by a foreign power, the oldest historical Japanese and Filipino populations in the country going back to the 19th Century and so on...

Old 05-10-2014, 06:06 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Florida has quite a big of history. St. Augustine is the oldest European settlement in whats how the US and the Keys have a long and interesting history as well. North Florida is part of the antebellum South and has a very rich Southern history too. There are many quaint, Deep South towns in North Florida.

And while its 20th century history, one simply can't overlook the significance of Cape Canaveral, NASA and the moon landings. NASA is certainly worth a trip and there is a lot of history involving the space program.

I just can't think of anything significant regarding Maine and North Dakota's history.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:02 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
I think the question really is the opposite of "which states have the most famous, well-known history"? Like which states were involved in the Revolutionary or Civil Wars, for example. Now reverse it: which ones don't? That's what this thread may be trying to answer.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
Wyoming
Idaho
Oregon
Nebraska
Minnesota
North Dakota

I have BA in History and for the life of me, I can not think of anything special that has happen in these states.......historically speaking.

Come to think of it, add:
Maine
Delaware
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDS30 View Post
Never heard of anything in Wyoming or Idaho
Wyoming had the world's first National Park. (Also parts of Montana and Idaho)

Old 05-20-2014, 09:46 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Iowa is boring. Boring history. It was created, it sucked, only one thing changed. Now that we have cars and planes it is much easier to get through it faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.