Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:50 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
In Minneapolis I got bitten all the time, to the point I couldn't stay outside in the summer. I won't talk about Milwaukee but I doubt it's much better. It's well known that the upper midwest due to all the woods, standing bodies of fresh water, has the worst mosquito swarms in the country. Besides mosquitoes, deer ticks (lyme disease) reaches her epicenter from Minneapolis to Chicago and again in New England.

In Hawaii (have you been?) I was never bitten by one mosquito. Even in land portions, when I was hiking. The locals even commented how Hawaii has low incidence of diseases because of her lack of mosquitos.

In Florida, if you go inland you will get mosquitos but it's still much better situation than the upper midwest in the summer. Which is just hell on earth for mosquitos. Alaska is even worse.
As I said, it might be the nature of the urban areas. The core areas of the city of Milwaukee are urban in nature without much standing water, and they border Lake Michigan which doesn't breed mosquitos. Chicago doesn't have mosquitos, so I could see central areas of Milwaukee being the same. They're fairly similar cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 01:55 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Here's one source on the subject: Top 20 worst mosquito cities in the US: Summer heat, rain spur mosquito activity

And the list:

1. Atlanta
2. Chicago (huh?)
3. DC
4. Detroit
5. Houston
6. Raleigh
7. Boston
8. Dallas/FW
9. Charlotte
10. Nashville
11. Memphis
12. Grand Rapids
13. Miami
14. Richmond
15. Minneapolis/StP
16. NYC
17. Cleveland/Akron
18. Greenville-Spartanburg
19. Albany
20. Knoxville

Here's a second source, to check for accuracy: The U.S. city with the worst mosquito problem is...

And the list, based on mosquito treatment services:

1. Atlanta
2. Chicago
3. Washington, D.C.
4. Detroit
5. New York
6. Dallas-Ft. Worth
7. Nashville, Tenn.
8. Charlotte, N.C.
9. Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
10. Boston
11. Memphis, Tenn.
12. Houston
13. Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
14. Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, Va.
15. Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, Mich.
16. Greenville-Spartanburg, S.C. and Asheville, N.C.
17. Albany, Schenectady, Troy, N.Y.
18. Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Ohio
19. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn.
20. Phoenix

Old 08-23-2016, 10:28 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Here's one source on the subject: Top 20 worst mosquito cities in the US: Summer heat, rain spur mosquito activity

And the list:

1. Atlanta
2. Chicago (huh?)
3. DC
4. Detroit
5. Houston
6. Raleigh
7. Boston
8. Dallas/FW
9. Charlotte
10. Nashville
11. Memphis
12. Grand Rapids
13. Miami
14. Richmond
15. Minneapolis/StP
16. NYC
17. Cleveland/Akron
18. Greenville-Spartanburg
19. Albany
20. Knoxville

Here's a second source, to check for accuracy: The U.S. city with the worst mosquito problem is...

And the list, based on mosquito treatment services:

1. Atlanta
2. Chicago
3. Washington, D.C.
4. Detroit
5. New York
6. Dallas-Ft. Worth
7. Nashville, Tenn.
8. Charlotte, N.C.
9. Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
10. Boston
11. Memphis, Tenn.
12. Houston
13. Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
14. Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, Va.
15. Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, Mich.
16. Greenville-Spartanburg, S.C. and Asheville, N.C.
17. Albany, Schenectady, Troy, N.Y.
18. Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Ohio
19. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn.
20. Phoenix
I am surprised that Phoenix is on this list.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:54 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
People are dumb and get freshwater pools. Skeeters love that stuff. Now if everyone got a SALTWATER POOL, then skeeters would practically be nonexistent out here. Also skeeters love the irrigation systems that exist in North Central Phoenix.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:17 AM

594 posts, read 698,650 times
Default Phoenix is your place.

I've lived here for over 20 years and cannot remember ever having a mosquito bite.
In other cities I've lived you can look up into the street lights at night and see swarms of bugs flying around. Not Phoenix.
Seen a scorpion once in 20 years.
The desert is a beautiful place.
That actually works in our favor because insects and plants here were created to survive in harsh conditions. Food is scarce in the desert and any opportunity will be taken advantage of quickly.
Let's just say, if you're a insect in Phoenix, watching your back takes on a whole different meaning.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:24 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Alaska mosquitos are legendary.

Why just the other day I overheard two of them talking about a tourist.

"Whadda you think Larry, should we eat him here, or take him home?"

Old 08-25-2016, 10:12 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Monsoon season arrives and they come out from seemingly everywhere. Like every metro, there are areas with virtually none, and areas with problems. They spray in Tempe and other cities. Where Im at in Scottsdale sees quite a bit every summer, and they last up until December, which super sucks (no pun intended).

Old 08-25-2016, 10:14 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
I've lived here for over 20 years and cannot remember ever having a mosquito bite.
In other cities I've lived you can look up into the street lights at night and see swarms of bugs flying around. Not Phoenix.
Seen a scorpion once in 20 years.
The desert is a beautiful place.
That actually works in our favor because insects and plants here were created to survive in harsh conditions. Food is scarce in the desert and any opportunity will be taken advantage of quickly.
Let's just say, if you're a insect in Phoenix, watching your back takes on a whole different meaning.
Ive been here far less than that, and Ive had TONS of bites. Ive also seen tons of scorpions. It all depends where you live. Sometimes its a block-to-block issue with scorpions.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:38 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Ive been here far less than that, and Ive had TONS of bites. Ive also seen tons of scorpions. It all depends where you live. Sometimes its a block-to-block issue with scorpions.
Where are you in Scottsdale?

I live in West Valley and have lived in a variety of places. I honestly think mosquitoes detest me (I guess I'm not delicious enough ) because even if I go to tropical areas I don't get bit very much even then.

I really only saw insects of immediate concern (tarantulas, never seen a scorpion at a residence actually) when I lived out next to Sun City Grand in the 90s and early 00s. Back then the 101 wasn't even built (the northern stretch, anyway) and it was the boonies! That area (Lake Pleasant Parkway and Beardsley) and just north of it are very beautiful areas now with good schools. I started to move inward over the course of time to where I am now near Downtown Glendale, and I almost never see insects except for ants. Fire ants are everywhere it seems, and they love me more than the mosquitoes do! I always get bit by ants.

My grandparents live near the reservation, east of the 101 and south of Shea, they have seen a variety of wildlife that I have never seen. I would definitely say if you live near the open desert you are in for it. I have some friends who live near the Troon north area and they see insects all the time, from spiders to scorpions.

If insects are a problem for you (like they are for me) I do recommend living in highly urbanized areas (far from open desert) in the Phoenix metro. That goes to anyone reading this post. Tucson has more wildlife than Phoenix it appears as well.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:20 PM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Northern Michigan has fairly low humidity and summer temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.