Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 08:00 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Who said they like tennis any less than other nationalities? Going by the many great Americans on the circuit it seems they represent quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
I like football and hockey.
Seahawks and Avalanche.
Everything else makes me fall asleep.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post

Well you don't live in Europe so you wouldn't know. Just because most people in the US know something (an accomplishment in itself) doesn't mean the whole world knows of them....you're perpetuating my point of MURICA!!!!!!!!
And you're perpetuating another stereotype yourself...

Old 05-01-2014, 08:17 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
200 million chinese watched Li Na win the French Open, over 400 million saw her win this year's Australian Open. She is China's biggest superstar

Well you don't live in Europe so you wouldn't know. Just because most people in the US know something (an accomplishment in itself) doesn't mean the whole world knows of them....you're perpetuating my point of MURICA!!!!!!!!
Duh, no I am not. You are actually perpetuating an attitude of " 'ROPE!!!!!!!!! " I haven't put down anyone's country... you are literally sitting here saying that Americans are dumb and your geographic region of the world is better. I at no point said America is better than any other country.

Again, I expose you as a liar. Too easy.

Get ready, I am going to expose you again. I am going to do it with information contained in a post that you quoted.

200 million Chinese watched Li Na in the French Open? Oh. Ma. Gawd. Apparently, you missed the part in the article contained in the post you just quoted.

Quote:
Yao Ming signed with the Houston Rockets. His first game against Shaquille O'Neal and the L.A. Lakers attracted more than 200 million Chinese viewers.
That was a regular season normal game... and it had more viewers than Li Na winning the French open.

Oh, Li Na was able to attract 400 million viewers to a big time event? That is cool, I guess you didn't see how big of a stable fan-base the NBA has in China, that stat was included in the article, let me pull that back up for you:

Quote:
If Chinese basketball was popular before the NBA arrived, it has since become an outright craze. Since 1987, when the U.S. league first gave broadcasting rights to China Central Television free of charge, it has cultivated an estimated fan base of 450 million.

You said, "Just because most people in the US know something (an accomplishment in itself) doesn't mean the whole world knows of them", Did this part of the article, which was in the post you just quoted, have too many syllables for you to read?

Quote:
Megastars like Kevin Garnett and Lebron James are household names in the country, and Kobe Bryant is revered absolutely.
Your argument just got. torn. apart. Son!

Maybe before you decide to speak on how much Americans know, You should focus on what YOU don't know. Maybe do the slightest bit of research on the topic so you don't come across so ignorant to the facts.

You may continue trolling now.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:53 AM

401 posts, read 649,481 times
I personally love Tennis ... but I think that if you never played yourself tennis then I can see why that would be boring to watch. Here in Europe, most people know how to play tennis, I mean almost everybody has played tennis at least once.
Now there's also the fact that all major tennis players nowadays are European (Nadal, federer, Djoko, ...) with only a few exceptions. I am sure that if the world number 1 was American, tennis would be more popular in the US.

Now just to rectify what has been said ... many NBA players are famous here in Europe : Michael Jordan is by far the most famous, then Kobe Bryant, O'Neil ... LeBron James is known only by those who follow the NBA at least a little bit.
But I don't know ANY US football player ... even the most famous US football player in America would be a complete nobody here in Europe. I tried to watch the superbowl, all I saw was commercials and a lame show, and people bumping into each other for no apparent reason whatsoever ... I didn't get why this sport/commercial is so popular in the US.

Now I am sure Americans know those football (soccer) players : Ronaldo, Messi, Ronaldinho, Zidane. And I've heard that soccer is getting more popular in the US and the World Cup starting in June is gonna make soccer even more popular there.

Last edited by ryever; 05-02-2014 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-02-2014, 11:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
The idea that tennis would be more popular in the U.S. if the top players were American is belied by the fact that the top players often are American. Names like Andre Aggasi, Pete Sampras, John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, the Williams sisters, Arthur Ashe, Billie Jean King, etc., at some point have been (or still are) household names here.

Americans like tennis just fine. They just happen to like other sports more, just like the population of probably every other nation on Earth does.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:59 AM

301 posts, read 521,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Are you seriously this uninformed or are you being deliberately obtuse? Do you have any idea how many foreign players there are in the NBA?
Oh my god, didn't you read my post.
There are many foreign players in the NBA, but none of them are famous outside America.
The reason foreign players go to the NBA is because they can't make any money in their home countries because nobody there cares about basketball. It is such a minor sport that many of the players aren't even full time professionals, nobody knows their names outside America. A European basketball player is more well known in America than Europe, understand

Old 05-02-2014, 12:22 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Now I am sure Americans know those football (soccer) players : Ronaldo, Messi, Ronaldinho, Zidane. And I've heard that soccer is getting more popular in the US and the World Cup starting in June is gonna make soccer even more popular there.
I'm a big sports fan, but I have no idea who those people are, and that is the response you would get from the vast majority of people in this country. You just completely undermined your confused "point."

Old 05-02-2014, 01:00 PM

401 posts, read 649,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
I'm a big sports fan, but I have no idea who those people are, and that is the response you would get from the vast majority of people in this country. You just completely undermined your confused "point."
yeah maybe a cowboy like you wouldn't know Ronaldo or Messi

Old 05-02-2014, 01:29 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
But I don't know ANY US football player ... even the most famous US football player in America would be a complete nobody here in Europe. I tried to watch the superbowl, all I saw was commercials and a lame show, and people bumping into each other for no apparent reason whatsoever ... I didn't get why this sport/commercial is so popular in the US.

Well who didn't see THIS coming...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.