Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:20 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times

Advertisements

Here's a list from peak bagger of state parks with notable high points:

U.S. State Park High Points - Peakbagger.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Watkins Glen State Park in Upstate New York is a good one too. Got to it for the first time today.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:44 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, the parks are free. The citizens of the state own them. The amenities in the parks may not be, as they require development and maintenance, and it is reasonable to pay a fee to use the amenities, like golf course or campground. But if they are paid for through taxes, why should the owners of the parks have to pay again to enter them?

Explain to me why the citizens of a state need to pay to drive on a public road inside a state park, when it is not necessary to pay to drive on a public road outside a park?

I live by Custer State Park in South Dakota. You do not need to pay to drive through the park on the public roads. If you stop to enjoy any of the amenities or activities, you are supposed to have a pass.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
^ I think that's what it's like in most states, no?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:36 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
In Georgia:

Laura S. Walker - The primeval beauty of the Okefenokee Swamp.

Cloudland Canyon - Who knew that Georgia had not one but two canyons (Cloudland and Providence)?

Franklin D. Roosevelt. - Beautiful part of the state; includes the Little White House and Museum and Warm Springs. A truly moving experience.

Tallulah Gorge - fantastic scenery, great hiking.

Jekyll Island - Miles of pristine beaches, great facilities.
GA has so many amazing places it is hard to chose.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:40 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
^ I think that's what it's like in most states, no?
I would assume that's the case, but I don't really know. My other experiences are limited to a couple of the state parks in Nebraska, and there's no reason a person would drive through those parks if they aren't there to visit the park itself.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:32 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, the parks are free. The citizens of the state own them. The amenities in the parks may not be, as they require development and maintenance, and it is reasonable to pay a fee to use the amenities, like golf course or campground. But if they are paid for through taxes, why should the owners of the parks have to pay again to enter them?

Explain to me why the citizens of a state need to pay to drive on a public road inside a state park, when it is not necessary to pay to drive on a public road outside a park?
In Washington State you need a Discover Pass to drive and park in State Parks. You can purchase them for a single day ($10-$11.50/day depending on how you buy) or you can purchase one that is good for an entire year ($30-$35/year depending on how you buy).

It is beyond me why somebody would get day passes as opposed to a year pass. Even though I don't use mine as often as I'd like, I know I still get more than my money's worth from it compared to purchasing day passes every time. I renew every year when I get my tabs renewed.

To me it is worth it to buy the Discover Pass than to allow the closure of even a single park.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:38 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Pennsylvania has two Lake Erie state parks - Erie Bluffs and Presque Isle - and most of Pennsylvania's populace is not aware that Pennsylvania borders on a Great Lake.
That's quite an assumptive statement to make.

Then again, you were the one harping on Pennsylvania's supposedly "bumpy roads" even though the FHWA rated Pennsylvania's Interstates the 15th-smoothest in the United States last year based on the International Roughness Index.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.