Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 AM

814 posts, read 1,150,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
I assumed there would have been, and I may have even seen some in the past, but as I said, I couldn't find any. Would you, or anyone be able to link me to some of them please?
This is the main one I was thinking of that I've come across:

//www.city-data.com/forum/urban...mmunities.html

A lot of discussion on eastern PA towns, including the coal region, in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:40 AM

785 posts, read 1,882,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, were the lists that were posted previously what you were looking for?
You mean the posts of a few listed places? That was more what I was looking for yes. I guess if you had the numbers for density of downtowns in small towns, those would be much more helpful in this instance.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
IMHO Pennsylvania beats the rest of the union when it comes to "big little cities" Particularly the southeastern portion of the state, including the old boroughs in the Philadelphia suburbs, South-Central Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania Dutch Country) the Lehigh Valley, Reading, and some smaller towns near the fringes in the Coal Region. Everywhere in this region you find a settlement founded in the 19th century, whether it has 100,000+ people today or only 3,000, you'll find walkable downtowns, grid patterned streets, narrow alleys, and rowhouses galore.

I'd post links to Google street views, but there's honestly dozens of example, and it would take forever to find the best views for all of them. An acquaintance of mine does photo tours mainly in Western PA (which isn't as urban overall), but you can see his examples from Reading, York, and Lebanon here.

That is not to say that all of the smaller cities are desirable places to live. Some of them have developed typical urban issues with crime, drugs and gangs and are as dicey as major cities. They still have nice neighborhoods in places of course, but they're not picturesque little burghs. Others, particularly along the fringes of the Coal Region, have kind of a dying mill town vibe to them - not unsafe, but quasi-abandoned with much demolition.

If you were actually looking for good quality of life, the best smaller cities in Pennsylvania are probably Lancaster (which has a nice downtown and a good quarter around Franklin & Marshall College) and Bethlehem (which has likewise benefited from Leigh University. There's plenty of smaller urban boroughs around Philadelphia which have gentrified and become de-facto suburbs as well.
Good post. I was going to mention Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

York, Pennsylvania

Old 05-01-2014, 09:55 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
A few more things about Lancaster PA. It has the other smaller cities in PA beat for two reasons.

1. It still as a working downtown market house.

2. It has regular Amtrak service into Philadelphia.

These two things coupled together mean it's by far the easiest place in Pennsylvania minus Philly and Pittsburgh if you want to live a largely (or entirely) car-free lifestyle.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
You mean the posts of a few listed places? That was more what I was looking for yes. I guess if you had the numbers for density of downtowns in small towns, those would be much more helpful in this instance.
Well, what you can do is for that same website, you can view census block groups for those cities and it shows the population density for that census block group. For instance, I believe that this is the census block group that covers Downtown Ithaca: Census Block Group 000100-1 in Tompkins County, New York

Here's what it looks like: Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube

And what it may look like in the future: The Future of Downtown Ithaca - YouTube

Old 05-01-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, what you can do is for that same website, you can view census block groups for those cities and it shows the population density for that census block group. For instance, I believe that this is the census block group that covers Downtown Ithaca: Census Block Group 000100-1 in Tompkins County, New York

Here's what it looks like: Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube

And what it may look like in the future: The Future of Downtown Ithaca - YouTube
Oh yes, I know that, I have those figures too in some cases, just not on this machine. Thank you for that particular block group.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:11 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
I know we've discussed this in the past, but while I quite like a lot of the smaller cities in New England and Upstate New York, I don't think they have quite as urban of a feel (outside of the Hudson Valley) as those in Pennsylvania. I mean, the business districts are great. But the vernacular residential architecture is detached wood-frame buildings for the most part. They can be placed on rather small lots, giving a fairly dense "town" style feel in places. But it doesn't tend to lead to a true urban feel IMHO for the residential neighborhoods.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I know we've discussed this in the past, but while I quite like a lot of the smaller cities in New England and Upstate New York, I don't think they have quite as urban of a feel (outside of the Hudson Valley) as those in Pennsylvania. I mean, the business districts are great. But the vernacular residential architecture is detached wood-frame buildings for the most part. They can be placed on rather small lots, giving a fairly dense "town" style feel in places. But it doesn't tend to lead to a true urban feel IMHO for the residential neighborhoods.
Yeah, the further west you go in Upstate NY, the less likely you will find rowhouses or attached housing. You may find some or find detached housing within very close proximity to each other, but the built residential environment is more detached than in PA in terms of cities/villages/boroughs.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
This is the main one I was thinking of that I've come across:

//www.city-data.com/forum/urban...mmunities.html

A lot of discussion on eastern PA towns, including the coal region, in there.
Wow, that Mahanoy City looks ridiculous. No suburb area at all, that's either impressive or interesting, or both. Does anyone know if it's in a good way these days, or is it down-at-heel like a lot of towns in the area?

Old 05-01-2014, 02:26 PM

As far as Downtowns, these many work too: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=water...93.41,,0,-2.15

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=utica...203.4,,0,-3.46

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=corni...02.75,,0,-2.42

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=harri...,326.1,,0,-4.3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.