Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:34 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times

Advertisements

Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere

Quote:
Thirty-three percent of residents want to move to another state, according to the average of the 50 state responses. Seventeen states come close to that 50-state average. Another 16 are above the average range, including three showing an especially high desire to move. In fact, in these three -- Illinois, Connecticut, and Maryland -- roughly as many residents want to leave as want to stay.
Illinois tops the list of people who want the hell out, Montana and Hawaii tops the list of people who want to stay. Lots of interesting info at link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 12:15 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
That is a surprising statistic for Maryland. The state's population has been growing steadily every year and it's now the 5th most densely populated in the United States. Maryland is also the richest state by income.

It would be interesting to learn about the socioeconomic status of those who say they want to leave.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:07 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
There are already threads that have been started about this. See:

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...sidents-4.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/illin...-who-want.html

Old 05-01-2014, 01:32 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That is a surprising statistic for Maryland. The state's population has been growing steadily every year and it's now the 5th most densely populated in the United States. Maryland is also the richest state by income.

It would be interesting to learn about the socioeconomic status of those who say they want to leave.
It's the middle class. Maryland, Connecticut, & Illinois are high tax, high regulation states, which greatly favor the top 0.5% while totally screwing the middle class the most.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:26 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Very misleading title. The poll asks “Regardless of whether you plan to move, if you had the opportunity, would you like to move to another state, or would you rather remain in your current state?”

I mean I'm not planning or looking to leave Chicago, but I would answer yes, regardless of if I plan on it, if I had an opportunity would I move to another state would I? Sure - why not try something new? You only live once.

I think that would explain that even the lowest state still had a 33% "yes" answer. Doesn't mean they WANT to leave their state, just that they're open to trying a new one.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Very misleading title. The poll asks “Regardless of whether you plan to move, if you had the opportunity, would you like to move to another state, or would you rather remain in your current state?”

I mean I'm not planning or looking to leave Chicago, but I would answer yes, regardless of if I plan on it, if I had an opportunity would I move to another state would I? Sure - why not try something new? You only live once.

I think that would explain that even the lowest state still had a 33% "yes" answer. Doesn't mean they WANT to leave their state, just that they're open to trying a new one.
Lowest state was 23%. So are you saying that those in Hawaii, where 77% wouldn't move if given the opportunity, are just not open to new opportunities?

Old 05-01-2014, 06:59 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

Exactly. This reminds me of the other thread, citing some study that showed the majority of people never leave the state or metro where they were born and grew up.

C-D does not reflect reality. Never has, never will.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Exactly. This reminds me of the other thread, citing some study that showed the majority of people never leave the state or metro where they were born and grew up.

C-D does not reflect reality. Never has, never will.
Gallup poll. I didn't make this up. This was a gallup poll and article linked in the OP. I guess you are free to call them wrong if you wish.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Gallup poll. I didn't make this up. This was a gallup poll and article linked in the OP. I guess you are free to call them wrong if you wish.
Nobody is saying the poll is wrong. The poll is unrealistic. It's one thing to say you'd LIKE to do something. It's quite another to actually do it.

Would I love to live in Europe? Sure. Will I ever live in Europe? Nope. Not at this stage in my life.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:04 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Nobody is saying the poll is wrong. The poll is unrealistic. It's one thing to say you'd LIKE to do something. It's quite another to actually do it.

Would I love to live in Europe? Sure. Will I ever live in Europe? Nope. Not at this stage in my life.
But that's the point. You're looking at practicality. This study is looking at desire. It's more about the psychology of things.

Where I live currently, I would only like to live elsewhere under very strict circumstances. I'd say 5% probability of moving, if all "obligational" variables are removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.