Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: FL: more weird/bizzarre crimes than any other states?
YES 48 71.64%
NO 15 22.39%
I dont notice it any more than any other state 4 5.97%
you think you're state has weird and bizzarre crimes, you should see my state! 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:58 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times

Advertisements

well things like Casey Anthony, bath-salts, face-eating, migrants washing ashore, and general violence and pedophilia are a big part of what makes FL "weird"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 3,807 times
Sure, many states have crazy people. But Florida is in it's own league. I recall in Tampa in the news there were two separate stories of a man 'doing his dog' in front of the neighbors.

I guess perhaps many states have crazies, but Florida seems to have most of the sick people.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:12 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
the reason Florida has so many crazies associated with it is the high water table, people become naturally cranky when they walk around in wet shoes all day long.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:49 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Yes! Any time there is a crazy news story I feel a sense of relief knowing that it only happened in Florida.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:06 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
hahaha.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:08 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,845,879 times
I have always believed that all the wackos and crazies in the whole eastern half of the US eventually run out of road in FL as they flee they're own area. It culminates in Key West where they can't go further without a passport. So, because of that there is a good chance of hearing about some crazier things going on down there then the rest of the country.

West of the Mississippi, I'd assume all the crazies go to California!

Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 PM

53 posts, read 89,104 times
I'm a true crime aficionado (read a ton of true crime books, watch all the shows, etc.) so I feel compelled to comment

Without a doubt, Florida has WAY more weird crimes than any other region.

On the spectrum of weird crimes, my (unofficial, of course) ranking would be:

1. Florida
~huge gap~
2. California
3. Pacific Northwest
4. The rest of the country

Just a teeny, tiny sampling of Florida's criminal weirdness:

-"Ocean Mom," the lady who recently drove her van into the ocean to try and kill her kids

-Tot Mom (Casey Anthony)

-The infamous Lionel Tate case, of a young boy who killed a little girl via a wrestling move

-The murder of "Lobster Boy," a former freak show performer who lived in Gibsonton, a Florida town for old circus folk!

-Carlie Brucia, the young girl kidnapped by a car wash and it was caught on the car wash's surveillance video

-Adam Walsh

-Aileen Wournos

There are many, many more. I highly recommend the book "Sun Struck: 16 Infamous Murders in the Sunshine State." Very interesting!

Old 05-11-2014, 10:35 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine62819 View Post
I'm a true crime aficionado (read a ton of true crime books, watch all the shows, etc.) so I feel compelled to comment

Without a doubt, Florida has WAY more weird crimes than any other region.

On the spectrum of weird crimes, my (unofficial, of course) ranking would be:

1. Florida
~huge gap~
2. California
3. Pacific Northwest
4. The rest of the country

Just a teeny, tiny sampling of Florida's criminal weirdness:

-"Ocean Mom," the lady who recently drove her van into the ocean to try and kill her kids

-Tot Mom (Casey Anthony)

-The infamous Lionel Tate case, of a young boy who killed a little girl via a wrestling move

-The murder of "Lobster Boy," a former freak show performer who lived in Gibsonton, a Florida town for old circus folk!

-Carlie Brucia, the young girl kidnapped by a car wash and it was caught on the car wash's surveillance video

-Adam Walsh

-Aileen Wournos

There are many, many more. I highly recommend the book "Sun Struck: 16 Infamous Murders in the Sunshine State." Very interesting!
The thing about Florida, though, is there are so many transplants or visitors that it makes you wonder exactly who is committing the crimes. The van lady, for example, who recently drove her kids into the ocean was actually from South Carolina.

I wonder how many crimes are committed by natives versus transplants. It doesn't really matter either way, it's still crazy in the type of new stories you hear, but it would be interesting to find out. Maybe all the crazies in the country go to Florida, who knows.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:05 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The thing about Florida, though, is there are so many transplants or visitors that it makes you wonder exactly who is committing the crimes. The van lady, for example, who recently drove her kids into the ocean was actually from South Carolina.

I wonder how many crimes are committed by natives versus transplants. It doesn't really matter either way, it's still crazy in the type of new stories you hear, but it would be interesting to find out. Maybe all the crazies in the country go to Florida, who knows.
I agree completely. I was a transplant to the state several years ago and it was the first I was exposed to people from all over the country. The craziest people in my opinion were the transplants and tourists.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:23 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,048 times
YES! The bizarre crime stories on "The Weekly Vice" have a disproportionately high rate of FL incidents.

I think that FL is one of the most dysfunctional parts of the world, and during my times there (will not go back), you get the feeling that weird things are more likely to happen there than other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.