Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:23 PM

279 posts, read 461,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Overall, I think Georgia has more in common with the Carolinas than it does with Alabama and Mississippi, but a lot of it depends on which part of the state you're in. You have "colonial" Georgia, which was the original colonial territory when it was first settled, and you have "annexed" Georgia, which is all the rest of the state that was added later. The border between these two regions roughly follows U.S. 23 the entire way through the state. Everything east of it was the original colony, and is more similar to South Carolina. Everything west of it was annexed, and is more similar to Alabama.

Yeah, that's right. Georgia and the Carolinas were all part of the original 13 colonies. Alabama and Mississippi were not. So this makes it even more like NC/SC in my opinion.

Not to mention AL and MS are in a whole other time zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 04:37 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
This is very much true but I was speaking from a population and GDP standpoint. I probably should have been a little more specific.
Ok. When you compared different parts of GA to the Carolinas and AL/MS I thought you were speaking from a geographical and cultural standpoint so that's why I mentioned the commonalities shared between GA and SC in that regard in response to your statement.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:10 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,054 times
It depends on which part of Georgia you are comparing.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:57 PM

68 posts, read 109,874 times
I think it's also hard to compare Georgia to the Carolinas. Georgia is similar to South Carolina in a lot of ways, but North Carolina is different than South Carolina. North Carolina is more similar to VA and TN than it is to Georgia.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:20 PM

562 posts, read 1,125,758 times
Overall, GA has much more in common with the Carolinas, NC especially, when it comes to business, economics, and culture. There are some parts of SW GA that are culturally similar to AL and MS, but the more populous areas of GA are definitely more similar to the Carolinas.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDS30 View Post
I think it's also hard to compare Georgia to the Carolinas. Georgia is similar to South Carolina in a lot of ways, but North Carolina is different than South Carolina. North Carolina is more similar to VA and TN than it is to Georgia.
NC is also similar to SC in a lot of ways. I don't see how it can be otherwise when they are neighboring states and there is a lot of interaction between the two states.

But GA is similar to NC in a lot of ways too: similar populations and GDP, similar geographic divisions between mountains/foothills, Piedmont, and coastal plain, etc. But I do agree that NC is more similar to VA; not too sure I'd say that about TN though but it could be close.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:47 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
I would say that overall Georgia has more in common with the Carolina's than Alabama and Mississippi. Although Ll 5 states more than likely have a quite a few similarities.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:57 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NC is also similar to SC in a lot of ways. I don't see how it can be otherwise when they are neighboring states and there is a lot of interaction between the two states.

But GA is similar to NC in a lot of ways too: similar populations and GDP, similar geographic divisions between mountains/foothills, Piedmont, and coastal plain, etc. But I do agree that NC is more similar to VA; not too sure I'd say that about TN though but it could be close.
Very true. Although I agree with you that NC and VA are more similar overall, there is more interaction between NC and SC. Obviously, Charlotte is located right on the NC/SC border and the Charlotte metro stretches into SC in towns such as Rock Hill and Fort Mill. Many people in the Triangle area vacation in Myrtle Beach because it's not too bad of a drive. In many areas of NC, you rarely hear about people going up to VA apart from the occasional trips to the Williamsburg area or Kings Dominion outside Richmond.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 05-12-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Very true. Although I agree with you that NC and VA are more similar overall, there is more interaction between NC and SC. Obviously, Charlotte is located right on the NC/SC border and the Charlotte metro stretches into SC in towns such as Rock Hill and Fort Mill. Many people in the Triangle area vacation in Myrtle Beach because it's not too bad of a drive. In many areas of NC, you rarely hear about people going up to VA apart from the occasional trips to the Williamsburg area or Kings Dominion outside Richmond.
Completely agree. NC is more like VA, but is more tied to and interacts more with SC.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:45 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Completely agree. NC is more like VA, but is more tied to and interacts more with SC.
The same also applies to Georgia, but to a lesser degree. I rarely meet people in NC who have never been to the Atlanta area, or other places like Savannah or Athens. Also, the drive from Charlotte to Atlanta isn't that bad, and I believe many people in the Atlanta metro vacation in the mountains of western NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.