Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:17 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
New Yorkers use "hero". In Philly, it's "hoageie".
I am a New Yorker and I use 'wedge'. 'Hero' is something that they say in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Anyway, I would say the southern boroughs (Mttn, Bkln, SI) are more attuned to Philly and the Midatlantic, while northern boroughs and the northern and eastern (LI) towns are more like New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Anyway, I would say the southern boroughs (Mttn, Bkln, SI) are more attuned to Philly and the Midatlantic, while northern boroughs and the northern and eastern (LI) towns are more like New England.
I would say that all 5 Boroughs have more in common with Southern New England. Italian is the most common ancestry in New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island (which is why that corridor is known for its pizza). In Pennsylvania, it's German. In Maryland and Delaware, it's African American.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ted_States.svg

Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I would say that all 5 Boroughs have more in common with Southern New England. Italian is the most common ancestry in New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island (which is why that corridor is known for its pizza). In Pennsylvania, it's German. In Maryland and Delaware, it's African American.
What about Manhattan? From what I've seen hanging out in the Upper East Side and Central Park, it is mainly "generic" professional white people and other moneyed transplants, much like in Northwest Washington, D.C. The new Manhattan is no longer dominated by ethnic whites.

Of course, a lot of them graduated from elite colleges and universities.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-12-2014 at 09:41 AM..

Old 05-12-2014, 09:57 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What about Manhattan? From what I've seen hanging out in the Upper East Side and Central Park, it is mainly "generic" professional white people and other moneyed transplants, much like in Northwest Washington, D.C. The new Manhattan is no longer dominated by ethnic whites.
Central Boston is also mainly "generic" professional white people. So I suppose the Italians, West Indians, and Puerto Ricans would be the tiebreaker, right? Besides, I don't see how a small minority living in Manhattan defines the character of the city, or the region, as a whole. But if you're sufficiently self-centered, then I could possibly see how one could have that view.

Also, how is the generic white professional class in DC any different from the one in Atlanta or Seattle?

Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am a New Yorker and I use 'wedge'. 'Hero' is something that they say in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
In Long Island, it's "hero" as well.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
As BajanYankee said, Manhattan is only one part of NYC. In any case, Manhattan is still heavily ethnic white in a way. Its 20% Jewish, only two counties have a higher %. So 40% of the non-hispanic white population is Jewish. I doubt DC has similar demographics. The Upper East Side has a large Jewish population, so does the Upper West Side. Not all of the white population are recent transplants, and many of the transplants are from the NYC region.

American Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-12-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ted_States.svg
That's the state as a whole. Southeastern PA is probably at least as Italian as southern New England.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:11 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Quote:
That's the state as a whole. Southeastern PA is probably at least as Italian as southern New England.
Yes, that's correct along with South Jersey.

And actually Pittsburgh, PA is one of the most Italian cities in the country as well.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
As BajanYankee said, Manhattan is only one part of NYC. In any case, Manhattan is still heavily ethnic white in a way. Its 20% Jewish, only two counties have a higher %. So 40% of the non-hispanic white population is Jewish. I doubt DC has similar demographics. The Upper East Side has a large Jewish population, so does the Upper West Side. Not all of the white population are recent transplants, and many of the transplants are from the NYC region.

American Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That is interesting and it makes sense for Manhattan to have such a large % of Jewish people, since they are a group which tends to make and have the most money. :-)

Nowadays, it is hard to distinguish most American Jews from other whites since they have mostly blended in with generic white Americans. Actually, the same can be said for Irish and even Italians. My family doctor here in Maryland is Jewish. But if I did not know his last name, I would not have suspected it. Jewish people are cool though.

I talk about Manhattan mostly because that is usually where I go in New York City. So, that is my point of reference. In fact, I will be going again in a couple of weeks. I used to visit Jackson Heights in Queens back in the day. Not so much anymore.

New York City is such a gigantic place. Peoples and ethnicities from all over the world live there. I still don't know if it is socially more like Boston/New England or Philadelphia. Actually, I've been to Boston only a couple of times so I don't know that much about it socially. It seemed to me like the city was heavily geared towards the college and young adult crowd. You and BajanYankee seem to have a better understanding, so I'll take your word for it.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-12-2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old 05-12-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
When you say that it doesn't feel similar to the Boston area, what specifically do you mean? I'm not asking to be an ass. I'm just asking about the specific things you find to be different that give it a different feel? Is it more architecture, climate, pace, demographics and/or general demeanor of the people you come across?

How do you think Long Island compares to Northern Virginia or Maryland?
Hmm. I was thinking of how it is was built up, for one. Nassau County, at least where the majority lives, is continuous (somewhat grid-like layout), relatively dense suburbia, mostly dating from the mid 20th century with a few older spots scattered within. Boston suburbs are much patchier, with more old towns within and lightly developed areas in between the towns. As LINative said, the North Shore of Long Island resembles New England a bit better. But most Long Island doesn't look all that similar to New England.

As for culture, Long Island feels a bit more materialistic and into conspicuous consumption than the Boston suburbs. Outside of the Jewish areas, there's a Republican lean, probably somewhat similar to Philly's suburbs. Nassau County had a Republican machine (all county employees donate to the county party) for decades, no Boston area place would have something similar. Local party has usually been somewhat pro-union, though, so it's not typical conservatism elsewhere. There's a bit of more SWPLish? culture in the Boston area, too, not sure how to place it. More of an interest in the outdoors, though that's partially from location. Both places have a subculture of locals who think being abrasive is something to be proud of, think "Mas-sholes". Both have little "middle America" culture (not sure the best way to put it), few country music listeners for example.

I've spent little time in Northern Virginia or Maryland, but I was thinking Philly suburbs might be a slightly closer match. Philly suburbs might be a bit poorer than Long Island, though. Probably not Maryland, as the demographics are rather different, as you pointed out many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.