Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:44 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

On television and just in daily life i always hear hispanic americans talking in a perfect american accent but when they say words like "Mexico" "Latina" "Latino" they all of a sudden switch to a really thick mexican accent, what is up with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,879 times
They're probably bilingual and see those words as Spanish words and not English words. Might stem from code switching.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times
That's how those words are pronounced, and there's no such thing as a "perfect" accent, accents aren't standardized.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:03 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
Learning a language is like learning to be ambidextrous - yes, technically, you can do it ... but generally, you will favor one language slightly over the other. For a lot of Spanish speakers who learn Spanish first, Spanish becomes the language that they have an innate "comfort" with. With those language speakers, you will hear a lot of switching back and forth between pronunciations, even if they are speaking in English.

Words that get used in both Spanish and English have entirely different pronunciations in those two languages.

Cuba is pronounced "koo-bah" in Spanish and "kyoo-bah" in English.

Mexico is pronounced "meh-hee-koh" in Spanish and "mecks-ee-koh" in English.

Argentina is pronounced "arr-jen-tee-nah" in English and "arr-hen-tee-nah" in Spanish.

You get the idea.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:37 AM

57 posts, read 68,376 times
Precisely what amaiunmei said.

In fact, in my case, I'm a native Spanish speaker, so when I speak Spanish and say isolated words in English, say, "internet" or "smart phone", I do it with a spanish voice, completely unlike the accent if I'm speaking English.
So, even when speaking English, many spanish (to me) words come out "in spanish". I do try to correct it though, so when I say, for example, my spansh name in English, fellow Argentinians laugh about it.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
I often wondered why we change the name or pronunciation of proper nouns like countries-Mexico should always be Me-hico and Cuba should always be Coo-ba, etc. Why can't we call Spain Espana? Is Spain really that much easier?

Old 05-07-2014, 09:09 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
On television and just in daily life i always hear hispanic americans talking in a perfect american accent but when they say words like "Mexico" "Latina" "Latino" they all of a sudden switch to a really thick mexican accent, what is up with this?
Because the rest of the words they're saying are English and they pronounce them the correct English way. Mexico, Latina and Latino are Spanish words and they're correctly pronouncing them in Spanish.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:48 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Because the rest of the words they're saying are English and they pronounce them the correct English way. Mexico, Latina and Latino are Spanish words and they're correctly pronouncing them in Spanish.
This. Let's say you were reading spanish out loud and you come upon the word "United States" which is an english word of course. You would not actually try to pronunce it in spanish because you know better, you know english and you know the correct way to pronounce it.

I've seen people do it on TV in other languages as well, for example reporters who are familiar with the middle east sometimes pronounce place names and peoples names in their correct pronunciation as well.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:58 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I often wondered why we change the name or pronunciation of proper nouns like countries-Mexico should always be Me-hico and Cuba should always be Coo-ba, etc. Why can't we call Spain Espana? Is Spain really that much easier?
Yeah, I feel the same way and not just limited to Latin/Spanish locations. All the Italians cities have beautiful names already that aren't hard to say yet, Roma, Firenze, and Napoli, become Rome, Florence, and Naples. It's not limited to just English as a lot of languages change the name of foreign cities to something else, but still--how hard is is to say Roma?

Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I find it very annoying when news reporters do that. When I am in Latin America and in a Spanish-speaking conversation, I would never dream of pronouncing Television or Sandwich or Africa or Robinson Cano the way an American would. It would be discourteous and disruptive to shift the accent for one word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.