Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:58 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,938 times

Advertisements

AUSTIN | Photos & Videos Thread - Page 36 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Some of the pictures tell only part of what's going on I'm Austin in terms of construction boom. Its everywhere. Small towns surrounding the city. Bigger suburbs surrounding the city. The parks, schools, libraries, remodels I'm stores, highways (1-35 to Dallas is pretty much a construction zone, talk of a rails system, and so on. There is so much going on in DT Austin its insane! And it brings me to this question...is Austin undergoing the biggest construction boom in the USA currently? Now population growth we know Austin and most Texas cities lead the country but I'm referring to building boom. I'm sure Houston, Dallas and San Antonio will have something to say but I don't know if it matches Austin currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 04:23 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I don't know....there are a lot of cities with a lot of construction going on. I can speak a bit to Miami and am sure others will chime in on what's going on in NYC, SF and other cities.

Miami is cranking out the high rises again like they are going out of style. The Tunnel from 395 to the port is opening soon and the new science museum is really taking shape. There's an enormous mixed use project named Brickell City Center that's coming out of the ground that's going to infuse retail into that neighborhood and a mega luxury retail experience is being developed in the Design District. The Beach is filled with renovation projects that are elevating historic Deco and MIMO buildings to new heights of luxury and teardowns along Biscayne Bay and on the islands are a common sight with multimillion dollar homes replacing other multimillion dollar homes as one-upmanship of the 1% of the 1% becomes the game of the day. The second largest Ikea in the country is opening soon in the western burbs and Aventura Mall is set to expand yet again. An observation tower that will reach 1000 ft may break ground in the coming weeks on the edge of Biscayne Bay near the arena. Across the street from the arena, Zaha Hadid's new hyper luxury residential tower with be her first US tower.
All the while, Beckham is searching for just the right waterfront location to bring MLS to Miami with a new stadium.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:27 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Awesome

Old 05-07-2014, 04:54 PM

Man its awesome to hear and see honestly. I just thought it was pretty incredible to see the skyline littered with cranes. Especially when its a city like Austin which is taking off right before our eyes. Can't wait to see it in 5 years and I'd be interested to see some pictures of Miami. Maybe a before...in progress and some after shots would be cool for Miami..Austin and other cities.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Austin is booming, but so are Houston & Dallas.

They're all 3 so close right now its hard to say who is leading the pack.

Houston definitely has the tallest buildings going up though. A 640 footer is the newest addition to the DT Houston skyline with an 830 footer proposed. Nothing of that magnitude going on in Austin at the moment.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:51 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
San Antonio grew about the same as Austin in annual raw population growth, however as far as high rise construction there are a few proposals in the pipeline with several midrises UC and a lot of urban residential being built. San Antonio's downtown has to many restrictions because of the historical factor, one of the reasons why several structures that would have changed the skyline fell through. Anyhow, San Antonio will see a high rise construction boom in the next few years.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:14 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
I was just in Austin. There were at least two dozen tower cranes downtown. Pretty amazing and I thought they were about done.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:13 PM

Yeah its pretty crazy. I know there are plenty more in the works as well.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:24 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
I would say NYC still holds that title. Austin is booming, but there are other cities like Houston, Miami, and DFW that are building more. Imo. Now for a city that's the size of Austin is beyond incredible, I don't think any other city that's Austin size or a little bigger is going to have the amount of construction that's currently going on in the ATX.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 AM

67 posts, read 126,927 times
NYC would hold the title for sure with the boom they are going through. Miami I am sure is also ahead of Austin, however I am pretty sure neither Dallas or Houston have the amount of construction currently happening in Austin.

If someone can prove me wrong, feel free as I am interested in all construction. From what I have read up on various construction projects, no other Texas city has the amount of 200-400+ going up right now. Austin in the next couple months should finally have a 600 footer under construction as well. What is going on right now blows away the previous construction boom for Austin IMO.

I am sure there are other large cities with more skyscraper construction than Austin, but the amount going on for a sub 2million metro is Chinese level construction. Luckily, without all the speculative building.

Last edited by mightyyoda; 05-08-2014 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.