Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 10:52 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
The mayor of Boston banned it recently.

Shame
Don't think that's true. Link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Yes and No in my view.

Yes in the sense that both areas are very upwardly mobile mixed with some very old money. There is also the charm that is unmistakeable, such as the existence of the New England town green concept and rotaries (i.e roundabouts). Like you can just feel the charm mixed with pretentiousness at the Darien Metro-North station. Vineyard Vines is based in CT, but got its start in MA (they make some quality clothing too).

No in the sense that the NYC orbit is pretty present in lower FFC and parts of New Haven Co. given the faster pace, love for Manhattan cultural sites/shopping, and general tendency to look first at what NYC is doing (a la trends) compared to Boston (you can get alcohol to-go in CT for example and Gov. Lamont clearly pays close attention to what's happening with NYS/NYC being a financier from Greenwich). Let's not also forget the direct train links and powerful NYC media. I also find as a Black person just more of an ease navigating the bougie FFC towns (far from perfect though) vs. MetroWest Boston, which can be uncomfortable despite the great income/educational stats on paper.

Parts of FFC also share similarities with affluent NNJ, Westchester and Suffolk County towns such as Alpine (NJ), Montclair (NJ), Rye (used to be a part of CT ages ago), Summit (NJ), and Southampton.

In short, SW CT can feel a bit bi-polar (not necessarily bad, can be interesting), but is really nice.
SWCT is more like MetroWest than NNJ It's simply not urban(e) enough and not diverse enough. It's too bucolic and preppy and the town division are set in stone. I don't find navigating FFC comfortable at all as a black person outside of Stratford, Stamford, Norwalk. Places like Wilton Rowayton and Norton are not welcoming compared to Newton Brookline. Can't forget they arrested and jailed a black woman form Bridgeport for sending her kid to school in Shelton. Additionally, white people from FFC look down heavily on NNJ and much prefer Boston. But also Metro West is huuuge. Middlesex County alone has 1.7M people. Most of the black suburban population in MA is south of Boston in Norfolk/Plymouth counties, not Metrowest.

There's NYC presence for sure but it really doesn't feel different than Norfolk County MA which feels fairly similar to Westchester County.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 07-12-2021 at 12:07 PM..

Old 07-12-2021, 10:59 AM

https://digboston.com/whats-next-for...tails-in-mass/

Cocktails to go are still happening in Boston.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:15 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
I think DC needs to be reclaimed by Maryland as the Virginia side did a long time ago with a special restriction made for federal buildings (and only buildings) like the White House so they are independent from Maryland. And people in DC not having the same amount of representation as the rest of us is wrong. However, DC should not be it's own state, no single city should have as much power as an entire state, even if the state is Vermont or Wyoming.

I am personally a fan of consolidation of small governments. I think most counties should be consolidated. And I think many states can be consolidated as well. But it needs to be done in a way that makes sense. For example, I think the Dakotas make a strong case for consolidation. While I don't think all the northeastern states should combine, I could see cases made for Rhode Island, Delaware, and Connecticut. Maybe Vermont and New Hampshire too. The states are small in land, hold little in population, and are similar to their neighbors. Just like the Dakotas are to each other. But consolidation needs to be in a way that makes sense as I said earlier. There should be cultural and political similarities.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:21 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Oh i thought they werent. Maybe im mistaking something else…

I just remember reading something about a month ago and thinking those puritans up there. Il come across it one day.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Oh i thought they werent. Maybe im mistaking something else…

I just remember reading something about a month ago and thinking those puritans up there. Il come across it one day.
There was a 12 hour period where Governor Baker hadn't extended COVID emergency measures because the legislature couldnt agree on some details. But it was always going to be extended. Idk where yall are getting the info on Boston specifically *shrug*

In general, the new mayor in Boston is very permissive of those sorts of things (as is the other front runner, Micheel Wu) and I wouldn't classify her as anything near Puritan.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:19 PM

809 posts, read 469,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
SWCT is more like MetroWest than NNJ It's simply not urban(e) enough and not diverse enough. It's too bucolic and preppy and the town division are set in stone. I don't find navigating FFC comfortable at all as a black person outside of Stratford, Stamford, Norwalk. Places like Wilton Rowayton and Norton are not welcoming compared to Newton Brookline. Can't forget they arrested and jailed a black woman form Bridgeport for sending her kid to school in Shelton. Additionally, white people from FFC look down heavily on NNJ and much prefer Boston. But also Metro West is huuuge. Middlesex County alone has 1.7M people. Most of the black suburban population in MA is south of Boston in Norfolk/Plymouth counties, not Metrowest.

There's NYC presence for sure but it really doesn't feel different than Norfolk County MA which feels fairly similar to Westchester County.
We'll have to agree to disagree given that I actually live in Connecticut and went to college with tons of folks from the MetroWest area. You'd be surprised at how "Black" Greenwich can be at times.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree given that I actually live in Connecticut and went to college with tons of folks from the MetroWest area. You'd be surprised at how "Black" Greenwich can be at times.
Well I did live in CT... but not FFC, it was Hartford. The big difference is the presence of Stamford Danbury Bridgeport Norwalk and Stratford. Black people emanate out from those areas and shop in Greenwich I am aware Greenwich has some diversity. Overall FFC is diverse because of the towns mentioned. Which really is enough for me, and it seems for you.

But ultimately Greenwich is only 3% black https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...eld-county-ct/ with demographics pretty identical to Brookline MA https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...-brookline-ma/, just less urban. And remember Brookline physically touches Roxbury and Jamaica Plain. And it takes many public school children from Boston, as does Newton.

But the true Metro West towns are pretty decently west of Boston and so that doesn't include Brookline newton Cambridge etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetroWest Not even Waltham apparently... Brookline, Newton, Waltham, Framingham, Cambridge, Medford, Woburn are towns that arent MetroWest but are close to it with measurable diversity and places where "black" gatherings and culture occasionally manifests. a But I guess that's really "Metro Boston" not MetroWest. You get more of the Stratford/West Haven vibe in MetroSouth

place like Hudson Northborough Shrewsbury, Medfield, Medway?? Naw not so much

So in using a traditional definition of MetroWest are towns well west of Boston with minimal diversity sans Framingham. Moston of the suburbs inside 128 are significantly more diverse than the true Metro Wes towns. In a way Greenwich is different because in the scheme/scale of the NY MSA its much closer to NYC than Metro West towns are to Boston, I think Northern FFC /Litchfield Couty but more so Middlesex County has similarities to Metro West/Central MA.

Suburban Fairfield County people drive nicer cars than their MA counterparts and the towns are more manicured in their public spaces but they are equally bucolic and pretentious. Having met many Blakc people from FFC they're far more like those in Boston albeit they look to New York for everything first. Just their speech demeanor and upbringings are firmly New England/ The NY/NJers are much more brash and urbane. When I went to school in CT the black kids form MA and CT were sort of in juxtaposition with the ones from NJ/NY to an extent. and only on occasion

Overall I really do like Connecticut and I'm glad they're a part of New England I just wish it was a little more exciting/things to do. Very very family/suburban oriented.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:56 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Connecticut + Rhode Island + Massachusetts + Vermont + New Hampshire + Maine

New York + North New Jersey

Maryland + Delaware + Pennsylvania + South New Jersey

West Virginia + Virginia

Old 07-13-2021, 05:04 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Connecticut + Rhode Island + Massachusetts + Vermont + New Hampshire + Maine

New York + North New Jersey

Maryland + Delaware + Pennsylvania + South New Jersey

West Virginia + Virginia
swct to ny nnj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.