Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 03:27 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I know nothing of upstate NY tbh. I've heard (keyword) people say the towns on the VT side of lake Champlain are lot nicer than the NY side but again it's just what I've heard.
I lived in SYR for about 4yrs. Most of Upstate NY is overcast, grey and depressing. Theres some nicer areas like Saratoga, Ithaca, finger lakes, etc. but Upstate New York is a loooot more dreary and depressing than rural NE. Upstaters are bitter towards NYC, as that is where they assume all of their money went and thats why they took the blighted course. Nonetheless, the $10mil improvement initiative to Upstate NY cities is helping a lot now. Some real crapshows like Fulton NY will improve dramatically, hopefully. Im not really sure why Vermont and Western MA took such a radically different course than Upstate NY.. it kind of is sad.

Rural Upstate is also littered with Trump/Confederate flags. Idk what thats all about. Its NY, not NC or SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No but seriously the preppy wealthy, somewhat urbane people of FFC, Greater Boston and parts of RI have more in common with the wealthy folks I've met from the Mainline of PA and Hunterdon/Bergen/Essex County NJ than they do the libertarians of NH, the rugged rural folks of Maine and the hippies of Vermont.

Additionally, there's next to no POC in Northern NE which is in contrast to the 30%+ POC in Southern NE. For us that's a major major difference. The density of NOrthern NE also simply isn't there nor are they as economically productive per capita as MA/CT. Southeastern NH being the exception.

Places like Hartford Springfield and Providence are more akin to Paterson and Albany than Burlington Portland or even manchester..and political discussion is often catered to those urban areas,
I guess on some ways

Old 07-16-2021, 03:30 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
This is definitely not true. I grew up in CT and left after high school. I've lived in NYC and NJ and Philly suburbs (briefly). Nowhere in New England has anything in common with Philly. Even when I lived in NYC for a dozen+ years I don't remember anyone talking about Philly at all and NYC is a lot closer. Philly and south Jersey definitely have a lot in common but north Jersey may as well be part of NYC tbh and again nothing like CT. SW CT definitely does not represent all of CT. Growing up I only ever went to NYC once and that was on a high school trip but we'd regularly go to RI and Mass on school trips & family stuff. High school ski club regularly went to VT and Mass. And the Cape is a huge destination in summer as are the RI beaches for people in CT. That said, CT still sucks lol. I mean it's not a terrible place to live or anything but there isn't anything exciting about it either. Great Pizza though lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I lived in SYR for about 4yrs. Most of Upstate NY is overcast, grey and depressing. Theres some nicer areas like Saratoga, Ithaca, finger lakes, etc. but Upstate New York is a loooot more dreary and depressing than rural NE.

Rural Upstate is also littered with Trump/Confederate flags. Idk what thats all about. Its NY, not NC or SC.
I mean thats subjective. I find most of rural NE aside from the Berkshires not different than what your describing at all. Rural Maine and New Hsmpdhire is littered with confederate flags- you know that...much of it is impoverished as well.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I mean thats subjective. I find most of rural NE aside from the Berkshires not different than what your describing at all. Rural Maine and New Hsmpdhire is littered with confederate flags- you know that...much of it is impoverished as well.
Not to the scale of Upstate NY. By any means. Maybe the extremes of Northern NH and Maine. But, the adjacent areas to UpstAte NY including Vermont, WMA, and NWCT are just polar opposites to Upstate NY.

I do think if Upstate was its own state things would have been a lot better.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I guess on some ways
Put it this way there are more minorities (3.7 M) in Southern New England than there are people total in Northern New England (3.3M), in a much much smaller land area. They can't possibly be that coherent/cohsive lol.

No doubt that suburban Philly on the PA side at least is more like CT or MA suburbia than the vast majority of anywhere in Northern NE. This is why the NE megalopokisbdoesnt include Northern NE.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Not to the scale of Upstate NY. By any means. Maybe the extremes of Northern NH and Maine. But, the adjacent areas to UpstAte NY including Vermont, WMA, and NWCT are just polar opposites to Upstate NY.

I do think if Upstate was its own state things would have been a lot better.
Ithaca is a thing too, pretty New Englandy so far as I can tell. I don't know enough about rural upstate .

Old 07-16-2021, 03:40 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
Quote:
I lived in SYR for about 4yrs. Most of Upstate NY is overcast, grey and depressing. Theres some nicer areas like Saratoga, Ithaca, finger lakes, etc. but Upstate New York is a loooot more dreary and depressing than rural NE. Upstaters are bitter towards NYC, as that is where they assume all of their money went and thats why they took the blighted course. Nonetheless, the $10mil improvement initiative to Upstate NY cities is helping a lot now. Some real crapshows like Fulton NY will improve dramatically, hopefully. Im not really sure why Vermont and Western MA took such a radically different course than Upstate NY.. it kind of is sad.

Oh I believe everything you are saying. I've heard all that about upstate before. Though I've never actually been upstate before Syracuse and Seattle are about on par for grey/overcast. I don't live in Seattle but about 60 miles SW of there (which is even worse...more rain and clouds than they get as I'm not in the rainshadow and closer to the coast.) and yeah upstate NY is definitely more dreary than New England. I've also heard lots of crime in the bigger upstate cities...how's Syracuse?

Old 07-16-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Oh I believe everything you are saying. I've heard all that about upstate before. Though I've never actually been upstate before Syracuse and Seattle are about on par for grey/overcast. I don't live in Seattle but about 60 miles SW of there (which is even worse...more rain and clouds than they get as I'm not in the rainshadow and closer to the coast.) and yeah upstate NY is definitely more dreary than New England. I've also heard lots of crime in the bigger upstate cities...how's Syracuse?
Syracuse let me just start by saying has the nicest people youll ever meet. They welcomed me into their community and I deeply appreciate the people there.

But the area.. theres a lot let to be desired for. There are a few good neighborhoods but the rest of Syracuse Is a wash. Crime? Theres some but nothing that really jumps out at me. The bar scene was fantastic thiugh. Mostly because SU and neighboring colleges. Cheap, good bar venues. I dont remember any weekend from 2015-2019.

Crime wise the worst there was were drugs. Meth, heroin, etc. Sad.. but its whatever. I much prefer Buffalo, Rochester and Albany.

Its a solid 5/10

Old 07-16-2021, 09:06 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Not really. Southern NE is pretty different than Northern NE. You could argue SE NH makes sense with MA. and NW MA makes sense with VT. But there's nothing coherent about CT RI and Maine VT NH.

Northern RI, Eastern MA and SW CT have more in common with the Philly area or Northern NJ than Maine or Vermont.
Well I tend to think of the north south new England divide as more of an urban rural divide, rather than a regional divide. They all at least have common New England identify. Mid-Atlantic is somewhat vauage. It sometimes includes Virginia and almost never includes interior places like Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

NY does bleed into other adjacent states, but NY is the glue of the North East places like the Hudson Valley, Albany and Saratoga are fairly similar to NE. NYC, LI have connections to NJ, the Appalachian cities of NY like Binghamton, Jamestown, Elmira feel very similar to PA, Rochester and Buffalo have the Great lakes connection to Erie Pa.

Buffalo and Cleveland obviously have lots of similarities. But they are 3 hours apart so they don't bleed into each other the way Harrisburg/York and Baltimore or Philly and Wilmington do or DC and NoVa do. Where do you draw the boundary of the north east? It's not commonly agreed. The census definition border, Census plus New Castle DE, the mason Dixon line, the Potomac?

Last edited by jpdivola; 07-16-2021 at 09:31 PM..

Old 07-17-2021, 12:39 AM

the Northeast as defined as the northeast. It all makes sense to me.

ME VT NH MA CT RI NJ PA. All feel northern.

The mid-atlantic is vague and doesn't include the interior because they're not ‘Atlantic’.

There's interior northeast (Pittsburgh Buffalo Rochester), mid Atlantic (NJ Philly NYC), southern new England ( MA CT RI) and northern new England (NH VT ME) basically. That's if we're talking about aub regions with cultural distinction.

Northern New England is gun happy and politically mdierate save Vermont (which is only 20% of northern NE). Southern New England is zero gun culture and wildly liberal. Northern NE is relatively poor and rural. Southern NE is relatively wealthy and urban. Mid Atlantic is industrial, hyper dense, and somewhat flashy. Interior northeast is rust belt/ish and relatively unchanging/stagnant and has more nasally accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.