Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 03:49 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Nah, even as one state we'd hate those 'other' regions of our state. Even in a tiny state like NH the various regions hardly get along now.

As for the OP, aside from the political impracticality of the suggestion, the 'state' you are proposing would be nearly 1/4 of the U.S. population, at around 73 million - nearly twice the size of our current largest state by population (CA). And with relatively little in terms of shared governance interests.

There would be a better practical argument for combining N/S Dakota (#46+48 by population, more similar governance interests), but even that is highly unlikely to occur.
Yeah its kind of funny how the Dakotas were divided into two states but Minnesota and Montana were not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 2,008 times
This will be my comments related to the fourth page since that is the one that I first saw and looking at the fifth page I think this are comment that I might argue with/

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
So you're limiting the Northeast to Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine? Why?
Besides Delaware that is all the northeastern states. Being from delaware born and raised to philly parents I can say that despite delaware being technically a southern state culturally it is just as southern as rural Pennsylvania I love to compare Delaware to New jersey I grew up around wilmington and since working in Newark it is just like wilmington. Nice sexy business strip near the train station where all the bums hang out at night and nothing but sand till you get to the suburbs it does have that one nice park though. As far as maryland while I think that It should be a part of the Northeast I believe that if you were to do so you would have to annex parts of northern Virginia. All of Maryland is the DMV but the same can't be said about virginia. Maryland has alot in common with delaware having been shaped by another city mainly DC therefore the northeast should be made up of the states listed above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If you merge all those states, then you all but guarantee that all future senates are controlled by Republicans because you'll condense all that (mostly blue) population into the representation of 2 senators while Wyoming, the Dakotas, Alaska and other sparsely populated states get to continue to send 2 (usually Republican) senators to Washington.
Great idea...
That isn't a valid argument against merging states your basically saying that you want the democrats to have an advantage in the more densley populated states by the mindset texas and florida should be allowed to split to. I don't like the way the electoral college is set up I think we need to change how it works however splitting states based on what they vote is an ignorant statement it takes away the individuality and that is the most important thing in this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think each region should be a state.

Northeast
Midwest
South
West

This map mirrors the Census-bureau defined regions:
http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/usa-m...egions-map.jpg

Yeah, that's a great idea. LOL
It would be simpler if we were to look at other countries they still usually keep there Municipalities, Wards, or States and there is nothing wrong with that the problem with the northeast is that it is compromised of many smaller states to keep a voter dominance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Thats just like saying all the states in the southeast should merge into one, all the states in the midwest merging into one, all the westcoast states merging I mean what since would that make
I disagree like I stated above the northeast is compromised of the smallest states in the country if we were to combine them all they would be a similar size to california. All the other regions can remain the same however at least for new england new jersey delaware and maryland there needs to be some change. I recommend making New England one state splitting new jersey in half giving the south to Pennsylvania along with delaware and giving the north to new york and getting rid of the toll on the george washington brige. Finally Maryland needs to be merged into the virginia and DC to make the DMV.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:55 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acero_Rubio View Post
All of Maryland is the DMV
Nope. Not even close. At most, I'd define the DMV (on the Maryland side) to include all counties that adjoin DC, plus all counties that adjoin those counties. In other words, Montgomery and Prince George's in the inner ring, and Frederick, Howard, Anne Arundel, and Charles in the outer ring.

As for the long-ago OP, I know that combining all the Northeast states will never ever happen, but I like to pretend that it would, based on absolutely nothing else than the fact that the Northeastern states are just too darn small, geographically speaking. But I wouldn't go quite as far as the OP. Under the assumption that no existing state could be divided between two or more new states, I'd merge them into the following five states:

1. Maine.

2. Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, to form a new state called New England.

3. New York.

4. Pennsylvania and New Jersey, to be called Penn Jersey.

5. Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Delaware, to be called Delmarva.

(DC, though completely surrounded, would remain a federal district, not a state or a part of any state.)

Old 06-27-2021, 08:58 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Nope. Not even close. At most, I'd define the DMV (on the Maryland side) to include all counties that adjoin DC, plus all counties that adjoin those counties. In other words, Montgomery and Prince George's in the inner ring, and Frederick, Howard, Anne Arundel, and Charles in the outer ring.

As for the long-ago OP, I know that combining all the Northeast states will never ever happen, but I like to pretend that it would, based on absolutely nothing else than the fact that the Northeastern states are just too darn small, geographically speaking. But I wouldn't go quite as far as the OP. Under the assumption that no existing state could be divided between two or more new states, I'd merge them into the following five states:

1. Maine.

2. Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, to form a new state called New England.

3. New York.

4. Pennsylvania and New Jersey, to be called Penn Jersey.

5. Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Delaware, to be called Delmarva.

(DC, though completely surrounded, would remain a federal district, not a state or a part of any state.)
No, Howard County and Ann Arundel Counties are NOT the DMV. Those Counties are in the Baltimore Metro.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:02 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
No, Howard County and Ann Arundel Counties are NOT the DMV. Those Counties are in the Baltimore Metro.
I know. I was referring to the DMV in a cultural sense, not as a metropolitan area defined by the Census Bureau. Culturally speaking, Anne Arundel and Howard belong to both the DC and Baltimore metro areas.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:23 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I know. I was referring to the DMV in a cultural sense, not as a metropolitan area defined by the Census Bureau. Culturally speaking, Anne Arundel and Howard belong to both the DC and Baltimore metro areas.
Those Counties aren't 50/50, but I slightly agree.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:31 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Talk about a dream situation for Republicans.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:55 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Should the 13 Northeastern States and DC merge into one state?
NO

Old 06-28-2021, 06:45 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Only if the southeast states did. Because it would further repress the votes of Minorities and Liberal Americans.

However if it did happen… new england would be a good state. Than New York itself. PA NJ in one. MD VA DC in one as well

Old 06-28-2021, 08:47 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
There are big states such as California, Texas and Florida which counts large populations and areas but there are 13 separate Northeastern States plus DC. The 13 Northeastern States and DC is actually more connected to each other than California and Texas metropolitan areas does. There is a virtually continuous developed corridor which runs from Portland to Virginia Beach with Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington as the centers of the Northeast. Why we don't recognize it as one state like California and Texas? I think the Northeastern Corridor's quality of life would be better than having the corridor in 13 separate states. The states I'm proposing to merge are ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, PA, WV, MD, DC and VA.
Horrible idea lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.