Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 11:55 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Only if the southeast states did. Because it would further repress the votes of Minorities and Liberal Americans.

However if it did happen… new england would be a good state. Than New York itself. PA NJ in one. MD VA DC in one as well
Agree that the SE states should have to consolidate too, yours is close to what I'd say makes sense, but I'd add Delaware.

New England state:

Maine, NH, Vermont, MA, the vast majority of CT until the Southwestern most parts of the state in NYC's reach.

The unified Tri-state:

New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania (maybe ending just West of Pittsburgh)

Chesapeake Mid-Atlantic state:

Maryland, Delaware, Washington DC, Virginia (I'm not all that sold on WVA being a part, maybe just the eastern panhandle)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 12:07 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Why on earth would anyone want to?
If anything, go the opposite direction and break up those bigger states. Just make sure they’re divvied up to where they’re politically balanced.
That’s what I hate about some of the movements out there to break up states: they do it along political lines which only causes more divisiveness among the states as a whole.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:09 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Agree that the SE states should have to consolidate too, yours is close to what I'd say makes sense, but I'd add Delaware.

New England state:

Maine, NH, Vermont, MA, the vast majority of CT until the Southwestern most parts of the state in NYC's reach.

The unified Tri-state:

New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania (maybe ending just West of Pittsburgh)

Chesapeake Mid-Atlantic state:

Maryland, Delaware, Washington DC, Virginia (I'm not all that sold on WVA being a part, maybe just the eastern panhandle)
Yeah put Fairfield County into NY/Tristate and leave the rest of New England into its own state so its more unified in the Tristate for Transportation purposes and ease of everything.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:15 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Ok, no, In Massachusetts people have a Cruller for breakfast, In Virginia, they don't know what that is
In Virginia, they eat Grits, you will be hard pressed to find a New Englander who is sure what a Grit is
1/3rd of Virginia is Northern Virginia which is a lot more like Framingham or Natick than it is Richmond. People there eat breakfast burritos and are as likely to eat grits as someone from Peabody is.

That said, no one is asking to merge the states and replacing 26 Democrat Senators with 2 isn't about to happen.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:51 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acero_Rubio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If you merge all those states, then you all but guarantee that all future senates are controlled by Republicans because you'll condense all that (mostly blue) population into the representation of 2 senators while Wyoming, the Dakotas, Alaska and other sparsely populated states get to continue to send 2 (usually Republican) senators to Washington.
Great idea...

That isn't a valid argument against merging states your basically saying that you want the democrats to have an advantage in the more densley populated states by the mindset texas and florida should be allowed to split to. I don't like the way the electoral college is set up I think we need to change how it works however splitting states based on what they vote is an ignorant statement it takes away the individuality and that is the most important thing in this world.
No, There big difference The northeast a region is more populated than Florida and Texas combine. So Combine them would equate to far less representation then either of those states. 2 senators for 30 and 20 million is already bad enough but 2 for 50 million? That's like 2 senators representing 1/7 the country.

I got idea how who ever actually gives the most votes have an advantage? the issue with the electoral college is over representation of rural areas, and under representation of urban areas in the first place. Rural and urban are not equal in populations. I don't think the posters was suggesting create states by voters, rather that poster knows urban area vote Blue and Rural area vote Red. And by combining a bunch of Blue states you just underrated that population. You can't combine New England, New jersey and New York and let them have same representing as Utah.

States in West states are bigger in area because when they was formed they had much low density of populations then there Eastern counter part. So saying Cali and Texas, or Even a Southern state like FL should divide does not created an argument for why on earth the northeast should join as one state.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:13 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acero_Rubio View Post
This will be my comments related to the fourth page since that is the one that I first saw and looking at the fifth page I think this are comment that I might argue with/

Besides Delaware that is all the northeastern states. Being from delaware born and raised to philly parents I can say that despite delaware being technically a southern state culturally it is just as southern as rural Pennsylvania I love to compare Delaware to New jersey I grew up around wilmington and since working in Newark it is just like wilmington. Nice sexy business strip near the train station where all the bums hang out at night and nothing but sand till you get to the suburbs it does have that one nice park though. As far as maryland while I think that It should be a part of the Northeast I believe that if you were to do so you would have to annex parts of northern Virginia. All of Maryland is the DMV but the same can't be said about virginia. Maryland has alot in common with delaware having been shaped by another city mainly DC therefore the northeast should be made up of the states listed above.

That isn't a valid argument against merging states your basically saying that you want the democrats to have an advantage in the more densley populated states by the mindset texas and florida should be allowed to split to. I don't like the way the electoral college is set up I think we need to change how it works however splitting states based on what they vote is an ignorant statement it takes away the individuality and that is the most important thing in this world.

It would be simpler if we were to look at other countries they still usually keep there Municipalities, Wards, or States and there is nothing wrong with that the problem with the northeast is that it is compromised of many smaller states to keep a voter dominance.

I disagree like I stated above the northeast is compromised of the smallest states in the country if we were to combine them all they would be a similar size to california. All the other regions can remain the same however at least for new england new jersey delaware and maryland there needs to be some change. I recommend making New England one state splitting new jersey in half giving the south to Pennsylvania along with delaware and giving the north to new york and getting rid of the toll on the george washington brige. Finally Maryland needs to be merged into the virginia and DC to make the DMV.
So if California had 99 people. And the rest of the country was one state with 1 person... you think the rest of the country that is one state should have more representation because... theres *checks notes* ... more land area? So each individual person's vote doesnt matter? All votes matter.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 06-29-2021 at 08:52 AM..

Old 06-29-2021, 08:25 AM

913 posts, read 560,292 times
A wet dream for Mitch McConnell that makes no sense.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:59 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,555,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
No.

However, maybe all six New England states could merge into a single state called "New England."

No to the merger of 13 states.

No to the merger of the states in New England.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:19 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
A wet dream for Mitch McConnell that makes no sense.
Politically, it would be kind of hilarious and not any worse than what we have now.
But, I like balance in the form of gridlock. Just wish more states were politically balanced.
Merging that particular clump of states probably wouldn't fix that problem.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:14 AM

1,234 posts, read 941,722 times
This thread was posted by a troll back in 2014. One of those "13 states" is a solid southern state and 3 of those "13 states" and DC are only arguably Northeastern. Some people even consider "northeast" to be synonymous with the six New England states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.